Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Forced Induction Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Too much is never enough....boost+juice (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29422)

kwhauck 11-13-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 508282)
You must be going for some serious RPM's with that LSA. That's going to bump your power band to the upper range quite a bit.

I'm not going for stretched rods on high RPM's, so I'm opting for a little lower on the LSA. So, what are you doing with your springs and/or rockers for that .577 lift?

i have some narrowed scat forged sbc rods in my built motor that should help, as far as the springs, rockers, ben mentioned the 29816 comp springs i believe, which will hold up to a .650 lift, and then the rockers will be stock, although i would love some of the new scorpion ones (in a stock 1.7), but who knows when they will be done

BlackJack 11-13-2009 11:02 AM

right on. Are you really in South Dakota, or is that old?

Blktrax 11-13-2009 01:31 PM

Just curious, other than the labor of love involved, why not go sequential twin turbo, or run a 7th injector to prespool/maintain turbo speed?

BlackJack 11-13-2009 03:08 PM

prespooling is good for road-rally type vehicles, not as popular for drag racing. And on the additional turbo, it's a really nice idea, but I'd like to present the challenge of allowing you to identify a location for it.

That's not shooting down your idea, that's inviting you to show your mettle with a solution that works.

Bad99Olds 11-13-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 508379)
prespooling is good for road-rally type vehicles, not as popular for drag racing. And on the additional turbo, it's a really nice idea, but I'd like to present the challenge of allowing you to identify a location for it.

That's not shooting down your idea, that's inviting you to show your mettle with a solution that works.

Remote mount? The guys over at STS seem to have maximized the efficienty of remote mount turbo systems with minimal lag

BlackJack 11-13-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad99Olds (Post 508384)
Remote mount? The guys over at STS seem to have maximized the efficienty of remote mount turbo systems with minimal lag

Yes, however that avenue has already been attempted. There is no place to fit the charge pipe coming from the rear back up to the engine.

Bad99Olds 11-13-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 508385)
Yes, however that avenue has already been attempted. There is no place to fit the charge pipe coming from the rear back up to the engine.

Ah, kinda figured that had been thought of, worth a shot none the less.

kwhauck 11-13-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 508341)
right on. Are you really in South Dakota, or is that old?

yeah i'm here, me and linz moved back after we got laid off from our jobs in colorado........

BlackJack 11-13-2009 04:30 PM

bah, lay-off's suck.

cherrington17 11-13-2009 05:26 PM

Quote:

couldn't you bang up some sheetmetal into the cabin? its a ridiculous amount of fab work... but isn't it possible?

HazMatt24 11-13-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 508415)
couldn't you bang up some sheetmetal into the cabin? its a ridiculous amount of fab work... but isn't it possible?

yeah, who needs a passenger seat, just shoot that shit straight on through

Bad99Olds 11-13-2009 05:48 PM

sequential turbos and Nozzzzzz :)

natedawg9640 11-13-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

or do like that mustang guy did with his twin remote setup, make hollow rocker panels and turn the charge pipe into something attractive.

mmmm... sweeeetttttt

Blktrax 11-13-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 508379)

Understood, unconventional thinking is what Alero-modding is about.

To the turbo idea, just penciling it out, a small GT2056 off the back 3, obvoiusly cats gone. Inlet comes around from the passenger side, outlet comes up and over like a volvo motor. Off the front Log the GT2854R, exhaust routed in paralell down under the car into a Y collector. Intercooler routed through the existing air/ relocated battery area.

Basicly something like this but one turbo on the D/S and one on the Rear, but you see the exhaust path I was discribing. the charge pipes going around the engine not nessacarily over it.

[ion] C2 11-13-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natedawg9640 (Post 508424)
or do like that mustang guy did with his twin remote setup, make hollow rocker panels and turn the charge pipe into something attractive.

that's just for uniqueness, it's totally impractical and the horrible flow characteristics of the way its designed make sure it performs far poorer than a standard turbo setup.

BlackJack 11-13-2009 09:10 PM

the volvo diagram doesn't show me anything new as far as design characteristics. What I would like you to do now is to measure the clearance between the engine and firewall, then the dimensions of the tunnel, and I think the light-bulb will come on as to why this would be more difficult than you can imagine. not only clearance as it exists when stationary, but also think about the amount of torque-over the drive train gets during hard acceleration. I think you'll find this is the reason it hasn't been done yet.

Nobody's going to knock you for presenting an idea. That's what this forum is about. However, turbo placement is something we've considered very in depth, and there's very few places that one can be mounted for practical daily driving.

DOHC_tuner 11-14-2009 10:40 AM

I thought this was just a track car?

Blktrax 11-14-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 508441)
Nobody's going to knock you for presenting an idea. That's what this forum is about. However, turbo placement is something we've considered very in depth, and there's very few places that one can be mounted for practical daily driving.

I completely understand, the final part of the comment though is what throws me off.

Power vs. Reliability on a long term time-line; Those, of course that have had the experience of grenading a few motors tend to shy away from super high increases of power because reliability becomes a total unknown.

I'm not saying in anyway, that hasn't been considered as well. But what is the expected run time between rebuilds at that kind of level and still maintain sustained drivability.

In regards to the clearance issues, relate all back to the daily driving issue. If the Firewall was modified, in such a way it would intrude on the HVAC. Basicly like clearancing a Small Block car to fit a Big Block and bell housing. Minus the A/C all together, there would be enough room for the second turbo to fit in front of the block down low simmilar to the new Subaru Legacy GT.

As you said however, I'm sure this ball has been tossed around a lot. To me at least looking at the engine bay and the locations, it seems if the charge pipes were oval and just round at their connection points going around the motor on either side would be possible.

Blktrax 11-14-2009 06:49 PM

Ok having gone out to look at the car in the cold and rain twice now, and having searched for a reverse waterpump for the last 45 minutes. All I can come to the comclusion is, It'd take a hell of a lot of re-engineering to do it.

cherrington17 11-14-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blktrax (Post 508510)
Ok having gone out to look at the car in the cold and rain twice now, and having searched for a reverse waterpump for the last 45 minutes. All I can come to the comclusion is, It'd take a hell of a lot of re-engineering to do it.

thats commitment for the conversation, right there.