Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2.2l Ecotec Maintenance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3359)

Steve03TropicTeal 08-16-2004 03:45 PM

I was reading some GM advertising stuff..

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/...news/press1.htm

and it states that the only maintenance required is oil/filter changes.

are they correct? no crazy valve replacments or sensor replacments or anything like that?

how about other related things? belts, filters, pumps.. blah!! so much!

is there a website that describes what mileage i should replace stuff at? is the owners manual the definitive source for this kind of stuff?

havik 08-16-2004 04:56 PM

Quote:

Low maintenance is another key hallmark of this engine: oil and filter replacement is the only routine service required.

Keyword is routine. As for other maintenance, I haven't experienced anything as of yet (still only about 22k km = 13.6k miles).

Steve03TropicTeal 08-16-2004 05:27 PM

im at 23k miles with nothing yet.... but i plan on keeping this thing a while so...

wy3134 08-16-2004 05:59 PM

If you go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, they have a sheet on the counter that has a mileage timetable of when certain maintenances and all should be done, I believe the owners manual also has a little in it about a few. This reminds me I need to change the spark plugs, havent done so in way too long.

alerosmoke 08-16-2004 09:55 PM

I dont see how they mention the fuel filter, mine was clogged bad, we put a new one the other day and what a difference. also the plugs.

smokinAMD 08-17-2004 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wy3134@Aug 16 2004, 03:59 PM
If you go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, they have a sheet on the counter that has a mileage timetable of when certain maintenances and all should be done, I believe the owners manual also has a little in it about a few. This reminds me I need to change the spark plugs, havent done so in way too long.
Uh, I thought the 2.2 didn't have spark plugs?

havik 08-17-2004 04:04 PM

It does, it's just that the design eliminates the need for spark plug wires (the ignition module is mounted directly in the cylinder head cover)

b-spot 08-17-2004 05:04 PM

^ and mine broke :(

havik 08-17-2004 05:22 PM

^ along with everything else in these cars B) Well, I haven't noticed problems yet. What mileage you at b-spot?

wy3134 08-17-2004 05:26 PM

Ive never had a problem with my eco, only trouble period was a bad catalytic converter that luckily was replaced right before my full warranty ran out. Either this weekend or in two weeks Ill get to replacing the spark plugs and let all know how it went.

Steve03TropicTeal 08-17-2004 05:29 PM

not asking this in a confrontatinal way but..

why are you replacing the plugs? just cuz? or is something going wrong? The owners manual sez 100k before you need to replace plugs.

wy3134 08-17-2004 06:07 PM

Its recommended to replace spark plugs when u change oil, although 99% dont do this. The owners manual can go to the trash because spark plugs corrode and wear a lot faster than that, and at $1.09? a plug, its a cheap maintenance to keep performance up, tests have shown bad or corroded plugs use gas quicker cause of misfiring and rough starting

b-spot 08-17-2004 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by havik@Aug 17 2004, 03:22 PM
^ along with everything else in these cars B) Well, I haven't noticed problems yet. What mileage you at b-spot?
56000Km. But in all honesty the engine has been rock solid for me aside from this. All of my problems have been brake/suspension/hub related stuff.

geedog66 08-19-2004 11:04 AM

you said you paid $1.09 for spark plugs your not really doing anything for your car you are actually putting in worse plugs gm puts platinum plugs on all there engines and they need no maintence till 100k

bdyman 09-08-2004 01:16 PM

i have no prob`s at all all i do is change the oil
i think the tranny fluid can go to 50,000 same with the coolant
i pulled a plug to check them out and still no prob`s
did brake job on it but no prob`s here

BLK03GXS 09-08-2004 05:39 PM

The plugs are a lil more than a dollar a plug.. they are platnums, dont forget that.
Other than oilchanges, gm doesnt want us to do any regular maintenance.
I have the getrag so the tranny is "sealed for life fluid"
Its runing dexcool so that "should be" sealed for life
i asked and they said not to change anything else at teh dealership so meh

gxryan 09-10-2004 08:26 PM

Well a seal went in the 5 speed tranny of my car.

and GM is gonna fix that this wednesday, I am hoping that maybe thats the cause of some of my loss of power or something, cause my mileage and power seems to be dropping down and I am not sure why.

I only got 12,000km's.

Is it possible if someone didn't reset the oil change thing on the computer that it could be running itself harder or something like that?

BLK03GXS 09-13-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gxryan@Sep 11 2004, 12:26 AM
Well a seal went in the 5 speed tranny of my car.

and GM is gonna fix that this wednesday, I am hoping that maybe thats the cause of some of my loss of power or something, cause my mileage and power seems to be dropping down and I am not sure why.

I only got 12,000km's.

Is it possible if someone didn't reset the oil change thing on the computer that it could be running itself harder or something like that?

no... it could be a issue with the computer...

They do have updates for the eco... i know my tranny had to be rebuilt at 1500Km... but wut can you do...

gxryan 09-14-2004 07:47 PM

Quote:

no... it could be a issue with the computer...

and how would i find this out?

Hasani 05-09-2005 12:09 AM

No plug wires!!? Ah, well that clears things up lol. I was about to ask where the spark plugs were but didn't want to sound stupid :blush: These car are really much different that the Japanese turbo cars I'm used to (3000GT, Skyline, Evo, ect).
A little over a buck for plug is cheap!! wow.. I just might change mine, since my gas mileage isn't great. Do you think that would help? Car has 44,300 miles.
Also, has anyone put Slick 50 oil treatment after an oil change? I used it in my old Prelude and it makes a difference in performance and gas mileage. Oh, and whats best for these cars? Conv. or Syneth. oil??

alero_ecotec 05-09-2005 11:26 AM

yeah, however, i'm not so sure if a little over a dollar a plig is right, because if you go to autozone and have them look it up the only thing they have listed to fit in the ecotec is like a 6 dollar iridium plug

BLK03GXS 05-09-2005 04:26 PM

Yea the platnums for the eco are more then a buck...

My eco has 77xxxkms on it right now, runs fine, only thing ive done other than 14 oil changes or so... :hide:
Is hubs.. at 65,000 front brakes around 50,000 and plugs at 70,000.
Other than that the only problems ive had other then drivers side window regulator, and glass, and the 3'gear syncro and other parts at 1500kms.... the cars been awsome... now it just needs more power...

Mischief007 05-09-2005 07:38 PM

My Alero has 67000 now and runs good. It probably needs spark plugs and for sure an oil change (Has been about 7000 km since the oil change now).

Cliff8928 05-09-2005 11:37 PM

The OE Double Platinum plugs on the Ecotec should last the advertised 100,000 miles (they should for like $6/ea). I pulled a set of original plugs from a lincoln my dad had with 80,000 on the originals and they weren't even that far off in the gap (maybe .001")

The service life of the antifreeze is 5 years, 150,000 miles (whichever comes first)

GM is using a new rubber material for the belts and hoses which is significantly more durable than the older materials, those should last the 100,000 as well.

I'm sure I'll have to do an oil change soon, I've got like 5,500 miles on it already (the change oil light didn't come on yet)

Super White Alero 06-03-2005 04:25 AM

hmmm I don't own an Ecotec but from my understanding, any plugs that under $2.00 is not worth putting into a car, honesty.

Secondly, its doesn't really matter if you want to use synethic or regular motor oil. if you use Mobil 1 syn 0W-30 then I would advise you to when it 3000miles change the filter, you may not need to change the oil if its still clear, but you may need to top it off. If you get Wix from O'Reilys those filter are really good and cheap. You can ask them to show you the cutout and compare a Fram, Bosch, MotorCraft, and Wix oil filter. You will see the difference in the qaulity of the filter.

Heres a link to 60 degree V6 for more info on oil change.

P.S. Sorry to bring back a deead topic

Alero04 06-03-2005 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mischief007@May 9 2005, 07:38 PM
(Has been about 7000 km since the oil change now).

lol im with u on that:P
im sooo slack when it comes to getting my oil changed!

Cliff8928 06-04-2005 12:58 AM

My oil change light didn't come on until OVER 6000 miles. I was surprised how long it waited.

BLK03GXS 06-04-2005 02:32 PM

you people wait for the light? *shudders*

Every 5000kms for me...

gxryan 06-05-2005 12:49 PM

Yeah I definately don't wait for the light 4000km's every oil change.

I could see running synthetic and maybe going a bit longer. but 6000 miles is even alot for synthetic.

Alero04 06-07-2005 10:41 AM

lol i so wait for the light:P

Cliff8928 06-07-2005 12:51 PM

6,000 isn't really that long. I know there's a guy in the northeast who will warranty the engines he rebuilds as long as it's done with 25,000 mile oil changes.

Also, try this study here.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

gxryan 06-08-2005 03:40 AM

hmm thats crazy. I dunno I think i can start to feel the loss of power when I get close to needing an oil change but maybe thats in my head.

Cause normally once I change the oil it seems to have more punch to it.

I do find it hard to believe that frequent oil changes cause more wear and tear.

but in the 6 years I own my 3.1 changing the oil every 5000 km's i never had one engine problem other then that intake gasket. and I drove that thing like there wasn't going to be a tomorow for it.

gre0481 07-10-2005 03:26 PM

As far as changing out your spark plugs, you should check them out before 100,000 miles. The manual goes goes off of an average. Do you always drive average? Are you kind of hard on the gas, breaks, etc.

Changing spark plugs every oil change (which should be every 3000 miles or 3 months) Is a bit overkill. Every 25.000 wouldn't hurt to check.

I've used a synthetic, Amsoil 10w30. They claim 7,500 miles oil changes, good luck getting 5000. 10w30 is fine unless you're in a colder climate in the winter time. 5w30 if you can find it in synthetic. My shop swears by 10w30 for everything, needless to say I don't change my oil there.

Check out you trans fluid too. If you ever got stuck in the winter and were hard on your trans, you will want to replace the fluid. There isn't a dipstick, so it's not easy to test. I just had it flushed and changed, replaced the filter. I could smell it when my strans heated up (stuck in snow drift) So that's why I changed it.

I know of after market coils, (hotter spark) Since there aren't any wires on this car.

gre0481 07-10-2005 03:30 PM

About the Oil Life sensor.

It's not reliable.

My sensor didn't go off and my oil was black.

Depending whether you change oil yourself, at the dealership, or at a service shop; How do you know if your Oil sensor was reset? (located in the driver side fuse panel) every 3000 or 3 months for a change. whichever comes first.
You might have to hit the button a few times, or push very hard to get the sensor light to shut off. If you change it when the light is not on, you need to reeset it anyways.

It's only as accurate as the interval it's reset at.

Whitetigerboi83 08-02-2005 10:28 AM

your oil change light isn't timed or set by the miles theres a sensor after the oil filter that pick up the viscosity and the pressure after the filter .. all the oil change light is telling you is to change your filter for the most part.. go with a fram. when i first got my car (85495m on it july of 04) i got 96000 on it and i didn't know when the last oil change was before that. now i've only changed the oil 2 times but with the way i drive that came to be about every 4 months but the mileage wasn't even the first time was about october the second was may..

it just depends on your driving habits. also try using lucas oil treatment it helps some but then its different for each car and your driving habits.

spark plugs wise the plat. ones they put int the cars at the line are good for 100,000+ miles you should need to worry about those but yeah cleaning them every 25k would be good for you to do.. but all you really need to get is some complete fuel cleaner additive that should keep it running close to its best..

on the black oil you might want to get that checked something is not right because every time i did an oil change my oil was still "clear" for the most part but i guess that would be on the filter too... i had a leak there at my filter for a while i didnt know but the shop i go to gave me a new cap and that fixed the leak

shockz 08-07-2005 08:04 PM

My ecotec takes quite a beating...

Out of all the crap thats broke on my car... nothing has ever gone wrong with the engine.

Its floored all the time and still runs fine. They hold up pretty good.

68,000 Miles and no problems with the engine yet.

walley 08-07-2005 11:15 PM

I here everyone talk about amsoil but I have no where up here that sells it. I plan on running royal purple in my alero. I plan on checking the plugs and I have 38XXX miles on it. Since I have had the car for less then a month I plan on going thru all the fluids and checking all the lube points. I drive with a heavy foot and race in the local street legal club in town. I plan on changing my oil every 3000 miles just from the way I drive.

Whitetigerboi83 08-07-2005 11:32 PM

I should have never said anything the other day i knew it would come back and haunt me .. My oil light just came on little over 4000k miles since the last and about 4 and a half months.. also my service vehicle soon antilock and trac off lights all came on at the same time with 4 chimes :-( ... so tomorrow morn after i get my check from work looks like i get to my dealers its all under extended warenty 96k on it thats been the only problems *KNOCK ON WOOD* maybe not knock on that "wood" next time hahah j/k :P

shockz 08-09-2005 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Whitetigerboi83@Aug 7 2005, 11:32 PM
I should have never said anything the other day i knew it would come back and haunt me .. My oil light just came on little over 4000k miles since the last and about 4 and a half months.. also my service vehicle soon antilock and trac off lights all came on at the same time with 4 chimes :-( ... so tomorrow morn after i get my check from work looks like i get to my dealers its all under extended warenty 96k on it thats been the only problems *KNOCK ON WOOD* maybe not knock on that "wood" next time hahah j/k :P

The trac off, abs, and svs are probably, correction, defiantely your hubs. Be glad they are under warrant.y

The oil light... no idea on that one. But as long as its under a labor/mech warranty you should be alright

oldsroyce 09-04-2005 11:15 PM

My Ecotec has only had synthetic Castrol or Mobil 1 run through it. I let it go 6,000 miles and haven't had a change oil light. No hurry to try for 7,000 miles. GM oil filter gets changed when the oil does. Hopefully trans will get flushed at 50,000 miles; thats what owners manual says.