Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I'm new to this forum and I need every advice possible (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37014)

Alvarulanda 04-10-2013 02:25 PM

I'm new to this forum and I need every advice possible

I have a 2001 oldsmobile alero. It's an great condition. It's a v6 3400 engine. I can't find reason to sell it, cause its still going strong. It's a really good car and every mechanic that sees my engine tells me that my engine it's a really good engine and cleAn. I want to modify so it can last me a very long time but I don't know where to start. Thank you guys for the help if it's possible.

billytheman1188 04-10-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvarulanda (Post 637376)
I have a 2001 oldsmobile alero. It's an great condition. It's a v6 3400 engine. I can't find reason to sell it, cause its still going strong. It's a really good car and every mechanic that sees my engine tells me that my engine it's a really good engine and cleAn. I want to modify so it can last me a very long time but I don't know where to start. Thank you guys for the help if it's possible.

Welcome to the fam! The 3400's are solid engines they just have a few things that need to be fixed and it's good to go for a while. The lower intake gaskets tend to go on them.....and the headgaskets can be a problem too. As far as mods to start out with.....get an intake first....you will gain some power from that along with better gas mileage. Second thing i would do is add an exhaust....you can buy a pacesetter (cheapest), borla (stainless steel....most expensive) or you can have a muffler shop do a custom one for you. After exhaust....if you want more power.....get some headers.....only thing is installation is a B*TCH....if you can't do it...it will be a pretty big bill from the mechanic. But those 3 mods will get you power and better gas mileage. They're the cheapest mods and typically the ones you start with first. Then you can move on to P&P intake mani's....bigger throttle body....etc.

mfuller 04-10-2013 03:13 PM

If it has been reliable and you want it to remain that way, I'd advise against modifying it at all.

Oldsnut 04-10-2013 04:02 PM

Welcome to A-mod!

03glgold 04-10-2013 04:06 PM

welcome to the site...how many miles do you have

Alvarulanda 04-10-2013 04:51 PM

Thank you guys for the welcoming me to the site. I have 147000 miles on it. So far I have changed I'm my car mounts and ignitions coils. I was thinking on installing CAI in exhaust system. I wonder how much would that cost me. My car is running great so far. No engine problem so far, just change some pieces like fuel filter and thermostat.

tw0123 04-10-2013 05:55 PM

Welcome!!
I agree with Matt ... if it's strong don't touch it... find a cheap one at the junk yard and get an engine stand... strip it down and build it up... then should something happen with your motor you have something built and ready to go with the go fast goodies already in place :)

sleepyalero 04-10-2013 05:58 PM

welcome. intake will cost 60$ (ebay)

exhaust... that will cost you 200+ depending on what you choose. a shop could do a custom exhaust for maybe 250. pacesetter is 320+ and borla new is 700+

03gxeco 04-10-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvarulanda (Post 637376)

Where in new york are you ? If your upstate by rochester i can help you out.

Alvarulanda 04-10-2013 06:45 PM

Thank you guys again for the fast response. This is my first time joining a forum and so far it's the best cause you guys are fast replyers. I live in Long Island NY valley stream. I'm gonna search eBay for parts. I keep you guys updated with what I do to my alero. Thanks and yes pls let me know shop in NY

spc2125 04-10-2013 06:49 PM

If you want an exhaust. I have one for ya!

Title says header (those wont fit your car, but everything else will, I believe.

I can also throw in an intake for you.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36617

Alvarulanda 04-10-2013 07:02 PM

Really? For how much would you sell me those parts?

spc2125 04-10-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvarulanda (Post 637394)
Really? For how much would you sell me those parts?

PM-ed

RalphP 04-10-2013 08:20 PM

For my money, I have four suggestions.

1) Forget a CAI. What you HAVE is a cold air intake already. Just use a good low-restriction high-filtration filter in it. It's not the restriction. If you want the "mmMRRRRRRROAR!" of a CAI, you can get a toned down version by removing the snorkel between the driver's fender and the driver's side inner fender liner.

2) Good oil. I cannot emphasize how much good oil helps these cars. Me? I was running Motorcraft SynthBlend 5W20 in my Malibu (with the sister 3100 motor), and when it died, it was NOT the oil that did it in.

3) Keep it tuned up. That includes plugs, wires, coil packs if necessary, filters, PCV valves, etc.

4) Keep a STRONG eye on pressurized parts, such as the surge tank (passenger side fender, inside the engine bay, where you add coolant.) THAT cracking is what killed my Malibu, alas.

RwP

colonel6632 04-10-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 637382)
If it has been reliable and you want it to remain that way, I'd advise against modifying it at all.

i disagree. i mod my eco all day long.. just because you mod doesn't mean its less reliable. just do the smart mods :)

Truth 04-10-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel6632 (Post 637398)
i disagree. i mod my eco all day long.. just because you mod doesn't mean its less reliable. just do the smart mods :)

i agree do it the right way the first time so you don't have to worry about fixing it a second time

billytheman1188 04-10-2013 10:24 PM

I don't think it's the mods that hurt the engine i think it's usually the driver....either neglecting it or just beating on it too hard cause you now have that little extra power. I don't beat on mine too bad but it is nice to get on it once in a while.

03glgold 04-10-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 637396)
1) Forget a CAI. What you HAVE is a cold air intake already. Just use a good low-restriction high-filtration filter in it. It's not the restriction. If you want the "mmMRRRRRRROAR!" of a CAI, you can get a toned down version by removing the snorkel between the driver's fender and the driver's side inner fender liner.
RwP

While it is in technical aspects a CAI, it is a very crappy set up of one...all the ripples in the different tubing they use all affect the airflow...plastic is a lot cheaper than metal, however the metal tubing has better flow than the plastic that they use

That01Olds 04-11-2013 02:07 AM

Welcome to the forum.

JLw7123 04-11-2013 07:46 AM

Welcome.