Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Paint and Body Work (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   plasti dip whole car? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36473)

wombatslayer 10-30-2012 10:29 PM

plasti dip whole car?

my friends nicknamed my car the batmobile... it's not even black...? anyways the batmobile is in some dying need of body work. i was given the idea to plastidip my hood because it doesnt match the color of my car... what if i were to do the whole thing? i'm thinking it would look sweet.. paint job on a budget? little more along the lines of batmobile...

tw0123 10-30-2012 10:34 PM

as long as you like the flat black look go for it... look into vehicle wraps too, might be about the same cost...

wombatslayer 10-30-2012 10:37 PM

definitely flat black. how many cans would you think it would take?

sleepyalero 10-30-2012 10:43 PM

well 1 can covers approx. 10 feet, do the math :lol:

that colbolt is a friend of ions. go for it, it would be interesting, id maybe look into painting instead of using the can, idk. when i did my hood you could see where the can was ran and saw the paint lines. so search an see what others used to lay it on first.

wombatslayer 10-30-2012 10:45 PM

i'm assuming... a lot? haha so like 40-$50 worth right?.... i'm mathematically challenged.....i think if i used the can right, it would be ok. i have no other way of doing it anyways.

xXManwhoreXx 10-30-2012 11:42 PM

Many many many light coats....... sleepy has no sense of patience.

sleepyalero 10-30-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx (Post 626848)
Many many many light coats....... sleepy has no sense of patience.

i just did it like i did the emblems.. light coat wait 5 mins, nice coat wait 15 mins, then a good coat wait and hour. i even added a couple coats after that and waited, still could get it to go away.

natedawg9640 10-31-2012 12:06 AM

it'll probably cost almost a couple hundred bucks worth out of a rattle can to get it looking good.

You'd be better off getting jugs of it, thinning it, and spraying it with a paint gun. See here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684511

There are links to the dip site for product sourcing as well.

from a durability standpoint, i think it's pretty nice. I dipped the bottom of my rear clip as i wanted somehting that matched to motif of the carbon, but i know rocks and shit hit it all the time and i didn't want to have to re-wrap the whole bumper if it got chewed up. I've never had to respray that area and there is constantly gravel and sand and stuff hitting it and caked to it. originally, it was made to dip tool handles in to give you a better grip. that's what it's called plasti-dip and not -wrap-in-a-can. So knowing it's use, I dont know why people think it just falls off on it's own or something.

As far as comparing it to a wrap cost-wise... that comment must be a joke. I wrapped my car and it was almost 1k in material alone. granted it was di-noc and matte black is about %40 cheaper, but that's still way more expensive that plastidip. and then you gotta pay for install unless you know what you're doing.

wombatslayer 10-31-2012 12:19 AM

It would definitely take me all day... I can't afford to buy a spray gun.. So I'll have to go with the cans... I'll just do what was said about many many light coats.

natedawg9640 10-31-2012 12:21 AM

one bit of advice. clean the car very well. and when you think it's clean with no dust on it... clean it one more time. Spray in a dust free environment if possible. you will be much happier with the results if you keep dirt out of it.

wombatslayer 10-31-2012 12:24 AM

We have a pretty insanely large garage. I'll do it in there. Then I'll dust it, about 4-5 times. Get all the bugs off of it and what not.

natedawg9640 10-31-2012 12:34 AM

should be sweet.

xXManwhoreXx 10-31-2012 12:58 AM

Keep floor wet and keep dust out of the air. Especially in a big garage.

sleepyalero 10-31-2012 01:14 AM

cant wait to see this. :D

xXManwhoreXx 10-31-2012 02:32 AM

I may do it also if it turns out ok

Newlin 10-31-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx (Post 626873)
I may do it also if it turns out ok

I'm with you on that. The matte black looks pretty nice.

wombatslayer 10-31-2012 11:37 AM

It's probly gonna be 2 to 3 weeks. I'll fill everyone in on what happens.

zzyzzx 10-31-2012 01:27 PM

Looks like something one might do to a beater.

billytheman1188 10-31-2012 01:32 PM

Like one of the guys said....CLEAN IT GOOOOOOD! Get bug remover for the bumper cover/headlights/mirrors and clean them....then soap that baby down and scrub her good. Like manwhore said....LIGHT COATS....dont go real heavy with it or it will look bad/run. Also just spray it one part at a time. Do the hood first...light coat....5-10 min flash or w/e it needs....another light coat....maybe another after? idk....depending on how light ya go. then move to the fender...do that...then door....ya know? One part at a time. Don't try to just do one side of the car at once. K, i'm done ranting ;) Good luck! Can't wait to see how it looks on an alero.

sleepyalero 10-31-2012 04:38 PM

just watch the video that was in the link. it tells you step by step.