Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Paint and Body Work (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Rustttttttttt (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29449)

xrracer72 11-12-2009 01:05 AM

Rustttttttttt

Hey I know you probably get this a lot but I was just wondering where you would get the new sheet metal to repair the Alero coupe's quarter rust. I haven't taken the side skirt off to see how bad it is yet. Could ya tell me how to take off the side skirt also? and if you have time could you maybe tell me if there is a way to help prevent rust after the fix because I heard that the rust was caused by poor drainage. Maybe drill in drain age holes? It is in the typical psopt low on the quarter panel.

Thanks

Riley

KenshinZero 11-12-2009 03:33 AM

I actually had holes from that, I tried to bondo a small part of it, but i suck at it, so I opted for caulk, lol. it did work and keeps out moisture, its not pretty, but its not in a place you would see often. the side skirts have 2 clips on both ends (front and back) inside the wheel wells, then there are maybe 6 or 7 clips under the car, I realy dont know the exact amount, just a guess.

TheEdgeofSanity 11-12-2009 09:28 AM

xrracer72: I am not great with rust, but you can use a product called Por-52 (i think thats what its called, you might want to search it) to seal the rust and stop it in its tracks. Other than that, others will chime in.

whiterider00 11-12-2009 12:29 PM

as far as getting the side skirts/rocker moldings off, theres i believe 6-7 push in type clips underneath the car, and one inside each wheel well that need to be pulled out. once those are out, there are 9 or 10 clips holding it to the rocker panel area of the body. i think theres a special kind of tool you need, but another member said he used a pair of skinny scissors to compress them and pull them out. i didnt know about this and just pulled, and broke a few of them. once those are out the cover should just come right off.
as far as rust, it all depends on how bad it is. mine was pretty bad, but since its not visible i just covered everything with por15, following the directions on the container. i wouldnt use bondo, because from what ive heard, it tends to attract moisture and would cause more rust, but im not a professional. if youre still unsure, you could always get a professional opinion.

Oldsman 11-12-2009 04:11 PM

to stop the rust from spreading you would want to clean out all the loose rust out of there and you can use Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood. It is good stuff. Obviously the right way to fix the rust problem is to cut out the section and sand blast it use Rust Encapsulator and then shape a new piece of metal and have it tig in.

Now the reason for this area rusting out is there is a gap in the lower corner of your wheelwell towards the driverside that is not fully sealed by the factory. so moisture gets inbetween the inner and outer and being there is no drain holes in the rockers it starts to rust.

AZFire316 11-12-2009 05:02 PM

There's no rust under mine, but I did find that using the windshield washer was allowing water to get trapped underneath, so i just loosened the skirt so water could drain out.

HazMatt24 11-12-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZFire316 (Post 508229)
There's no rust under mine, but I did find that using the windshield washer was allowing water to get trapped underneath, so i just loosened the skirt so water could drain out.

yeah, the only way you're going to find rust on a car out here is if it came from somewhere else.

whiterider00 11-13-2009 02:03 AM

lucky bastard

AZFire316 11-13-2009 02:09 AM

Thats the only thing i really love about living out here is the fact that you can actually buy a car and keep it as long as you like. (Barring theft or accident ofcourse)

Kilroy 11-13-2009 05:46 AM

What about those "electronic" rust eliminators. Up here in Canada, Canadiantire sells them. They claim to stop rust from forming. Anyone have any experience, good OR bad?? I don't want any "well I can't see how it works", I would like to hear from someone with actual experience.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyRustControl/PRD~0477905P/CounterAct%2BElectronic%2BRust%2BProtection%2BSyst em.jsp

Nate's Alero 11-13-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilroy (Post 508294)
What about those "electronic" rust eliminators. Up here in Canada, Canadiantire sells them. They claim to stop rust from forming. Anyone have any experience, good OR bad?? I don't want any "well I can't see how it works", I would like to hear from someone with actual experience.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoBodyRepair1/AutoBodyRustControl/PRD~0477905P/CounterAct%2BElectronic%2BRust%2BProtection%2BSyst em.jsp

i want to know more, can you find out more? i'll be contacting Canadian tire for a unit if it really works

a4d2a0m 11-13-2009 09:04 AM

They have used the technology on mining and snow removal equipment for many years... It is also suppose to slow/stop advancment of existing rust.

undecided02 11-13-2009 05:54 PM

I had this issue. if it is through rust like I had then do what I did and cut the metal out and rivet or weld in stainless steel, add some spot putty, sand and paint. No rust ever again.

C_EICK 11-14-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4d2a0m (Post 508314)
They have used the technology on mining and snow removal equipment for many years... It is also suppose to slow/stop advancment of existing rust.

They use that technology in naval ships as well.

xrracer72 11-15-2009 11:41 PM

One of the main things I would like to know is what you guys do to handle your rust issues. and also where are you guys getting your new metal. are you forming your own, getting repair panels, or junkyard panels?

KenshinZero 11-16-2009 12:13 AM

there is a company that makes replacement parts for our cars, Sherman. I dont know if they have 1/4 panels and all that, but I know they make replacement bumpers mirrors, ext...
the site VVVVV
http://www.shermanparts.com/

xrracer72 11-16-2009 10:52 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Seems the N-Body crowd is a lot more mature than the DSM crowd lol