Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How Do You Wire Led's (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12755)

white04alero 05-09-2006 11:27 PM

well i actually have a few q's about the LED's

1-what all is required to wire them
2-where do i run the wires if i want the led's under the driver and passenger side dash, under the seats, and in the trunk?
3-how do i do it? anyone have a schematic?

alerocar01 05-09-2006 11:55 PM

cherrington17 will know how to wire it. Also try the search button he has a how to on leds in the dash vents.

white04alero 05-10-2006 12:15 AM

well another thing is.. will i need to get resistors if i get these?

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-leds

they're pre wired leds

all i need to do is run them to the battery right, or can i wire them together and bring them into 1 (+) wire and 1 (-) wire

alerocar01 05-10-2006 01:12 AM

i got the prewired ones. you can wire them in parallel and put one to the battery with a fuse and one to the ground.

white04alero 05-10-2006 04:22 PM

parallel? explain plz.. im electrically dumb

Satsuriku 05-10-2006 05:05 PM

what he means is 1 wire that carries the power then the positive lead from the LED (the longest lead) connects to it, and yes it will be a very good idea to get the resistors with them, b/c if you dont, bye bye LED :( applying 12V to something that can only handle 4v MAX is not a good idea hehehe

what you would wanna do is take a aquatic tube (the rubber stuff) cut it in the length you want then cut it in half and drill some holes into it (16/38 bit) and wire 1 wire to the power (12v source) and 1 to the ground (shorter lead). if you know how to use a soldering iron, then you can just get the LEDs and the resistors seperate and save yourself a few bux and do it yourself and make sure you have LOTS of shrink tubes on ya (any auto or electrical store will have it) you will need them.

wire them to a switch and you all set ^_^

cherrington will be able to explain better. he tought me how to wire them and now i got me blue and green glow (not from the vents though due to cops around here) and the project im working on now is for my wheel wells with the same design. hope it helps ;)

white04alero 05-10-2006 05:25 PM

ok.. i dont know what your taklin about..
i think its the second one ur talkin about.. or sumthin like it.. im like 90 percent sure its not the first one

white04alero 05-10-2006 05:28 PM

sorry about that being obnoxiously large

Satsuriku 05-10-2006 05:49 PM

the 2nd one is the one you would wanna use.

the grounds can be wiried at any angle but as long as there are grounded (what i did is splice the black wire for the cigarrette lighter) to something then it doesnt matter. cherry used a distribution block for his power, its not a manditory thing to use but it makes things easier, i personaly didnt and just spliced it right to the 12v power of the lighter outlet and i did the same for the ground.

now as for the switch. if you gonna get one that lights up, if you look on the back of it, you will see 3 prongs. top=power (12v) middle=ACC(accessory) bottom=(ground).

what do is connect the 12v power source to the top. connect the postive wire you have running from the LED's and connect it to the middle and then the ground for the LEDs that should be on 1 wire running through all of them on the bottom prong. you'll have a switch that lights up and an easy way to turn your LED's on and off.

sorry i cant get ya a diagram, im at work and dont have a way to source it here since alot of stuff here is firewalled

white04alero 05-10-2006 06:13 PM

ok awesome.. and do i have to use aqua tube? because im a lil shady on what you mean by that too.. is there another way to mount them or is that the best way?

cherrington17 05-10-2006 07:36 PM

Sat would be talking about this method.. (w/ the aquatic tubing)

[attachmentid=10435][attachmentid=10436][attachmentid=10437][attachmentid=10438]

cherrington17 05-10-2006 07:39 PM

:glare: last pics wouldn't fit in there....
[attachmentid=10439] [attachmentid=10440]

(i have 3Mp versions if you want a more clear view of what i'm talking about)

they should be pretty self explainatory.

also check...

http://invision.aleromod.com/index.p...opic=13888&hl=

for "how to" set by step wiring instructions. :thumb:

(...how long were yall gonna wait till someone told me this thread existed... lol)

sound_xtreme 05-10-2006 08:30 PM

i always use resistors in cars. voltage fluctuates a good bit.

white04alero 05-10-2006 10:29 PM

wow.. thats really cool Cherrington.. but not really what im lookin for.. im just looking to light up the footwells.. where would i put the led's? under my dash, under my seat, or both?

cherrington17 05-11-2006 07:30 AM

i mounted them within the tubing, then easily mounted to tube.

it keeps wires hidden, and looks more professional.... as opposed to just having random led's sticking out.

(my pics for interior are in the MAY aotm thread) i mounted them under the dash.