Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Intermittant oil pressure light (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36333)

BigJimW 08-31-2012 07:54 PM

Intermittant oil pressure light

Today my Alero started to display the oil pressure lamp (not low oil level) during heavy traffic in my city. It came on and went out within a few seconds, but this kept going on. I stopped and checked the level, which was ok but a half a quart low. No biggie I added that half quart to top it off, but the light still came on and off. I knew that the low oil light would probably come on first before the oil pressure light, and being only a half quart low usually doesn't trigger the low pressure light. The engine sounded fine and no rise in engine temprature took place during these times the oil light came on (a tell tale signal that you have NO pressure). So does this sound like a sensor problem? I'm inclined to believe that the sensor is on the way out. but I can use a second opinion. Any ideas where to look? No oil leaks are found. Thanks.

sleepyalero 08-31-2012 08:20 PM

sounds like the oil pressure sensor to me.

a.graham52 08-31-2012 08:56 PM

Sounds like a switch. Also sounds like low oil pressure that's just low enough to trigger the switch. If u leave the engine revved up a few hundred rpms will the light stay off?

Also... If u cannot access a machanical oil pressure gauge to verify Ur oil pressure, then by all means if ur going to do the work Ur self, guy by the sensor and swap it out, there cheap enough. How's the condition of the oil? Get it changed regularly and often? Iv seen sensors plug with sludge and cause low oil pressure lights at idle.

BigJimW 08-31-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 624350)
Sounds like a switch. Also sounds like low oil pressure that's just low enough to trigger the switch. If u leave the engine revved up a few hundred rpms will the light stay off?

Also... If u cannot access a machanical oil pressure gauge to verify Ur oil pressure, then by all means if ur going to do the work Ur self, guy by the sensor and swap it out, there cheap enough. How's the condition of the oil? Get it changed regularly and often? Iv seen sensors plug with sludge and cause low oil pressure lights at idle.

If I rev it a bit, the light goes out. And the oil is fresh, only replaced like 400 miles ago. I'm hoping for a bad sensor, a lot cheaper than replacing the oil pump.

zzyzzx 08-31-2012 09:44 PM

Just out of curiosity, are you using a different brand or weight oil before the oil change?

How many miles are on the car?

G.I.Ceo 09-02-2012 12:11 AM

That sounds like the oil pressure sensor going bad. These cars are know for that sensor to go out. You can get a new one for $10. I would just run to the store and replace it.

BLK03GXS 09-02-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzyzzx (Post 624353)
Just out of curiosity, are you using a different brand or weight oil before the oil change?

How many miles are on the car?

good question.. as your engine wears out it is normal for oil press to drop over a new engine, however even with a half quart missing, or in traffic your oil light(pressure lite) shouldn't be coming on... if your oil is just been changed.. did it happen before? what are the environmental conditions when you experance this ? often when you have a high mileage engine, in traffic and running hot at idle its not uncommon to see a higher mileage engine trigger the light...

Is it possible that the wrong grade of oil was used when it was changed? (assuming it was fine before)

I agree with the General if you have the know how, tee in with a mechanical pressure gauge so you can actually see what your engine is doing. To me watching a good mechanical oil press gauge is like watching a heart monitor... I hate those Fxxking lites..
I mean is there even a oil level light?? 99 per cent of people see that red oil light and assume its level.. when it is infact press...

03glgold 09-02-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK03GXS (Post 624395)
good question.. as your engine wears out it is normal for oil press to drop over a new engine, however even with a half quart missing, or in traffic your oil light(pressure lite) shouldn't be coming on... if your oil is just been changed.. did it happen before? what are the environmental conditions when you experance this ? often when you have a high mileage engine, in traffic and running hot at idle its not uncommon to see a higher mileage engine trigger the light...

Is it possible that the wrong grade of oil was used when it was changed? (assuming it was fine before)

I agree with the General if you have the know how, tee in with a mechanical pressure gauge so you can actually see what your engine is doing. To me watching a good mechanical oil press gauge is like watching a heart monitor... I hate those Fxxking lites..
I mean is there even a oil level light?? 99 per cent of people see that red oil light and assume its level.. when it is infact press...

There is a low oil level light (orange light that says "low oil pressure") but it don't work for crap...my fault for not checking in a month (car was mostly sitting) but still it shouldn't get three quarts low without the light coming on...while i don't believe this is what caused my timing chain tensioner to go bad, i think that it sped up the process. Why even put a place for the light if it don't do nothing...in a 5 quart motor if it lets it get any lower you are 100% royally screwed

BLK03GXS 09-02-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03glgold (Post 624397)
There is a low oil level light (orange light that says "low oil pressure")

again, oil level and pressure are different things bud. Perhaps there is a light warning of the pressure being just low.. and not critical.. but would be news to me.