Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Bmw M3 Style Lights (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9007)

mrmike 09-08-2005 07:00 PM

I was thinking of a way to fix the warped area under my headlights, and I love the look of the M3 so I figured I could make something like this and have it bolted to the front, straightening out the warpage. Does it look good/wierd/out of place? I know most people mod thier alero in an import tuner way, but I always loved bmws and luxo cars.

alerored04 09-08-2005 07:24 PM

too much work for too little gained but it looks nice if you get it done right.

smlzalero 09-08-2005 07:34 PM

Interesting... the only thing I don't like is how it meets the body at 90* next to the brights. Other than that, that would be a cool mod.

mrmike 09-08-2005 08:05 PM

here is another version that is actually what I was trying to do.
I like this version better plus it doesn't cover the turn signals as much and is more like the M3 design.

SlickSketcher 09-08-2005 08:21 PM

looks pretty sweet. i'd like to see the real thing. i say go for it.

bnight04 09-08-2005 08:36 PM

Well if you do this, you will have a one of a kind alero. I say do it.

doubleN0alero 09-08-2005 08:43 PM

i dont know if i'd be bolting anything to my front bumper, i think you'll only be creating problems for yourself there, but if you were to do it in vinal it wouldn't look so bad. or even have a piece made to somehow attach directly to the light. I think this would make that warped part look alot better. I like the first style better personally. maybe you could change the way it meets over by the brights, but looks alright. I know they make this kind of mod for the mazda 6, but only for the top and not the bottom and it looks alright. linky http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-6-hea...997849455QQrdZ1

SouthDakotAlero 09-08-2005 09:52 PM

I think if you did a little fiberglassing and filled in the bumper so it came up to the headlights like that, it would look pretty good. It would definitely change the look of the front.

PrImEtImE 09-08-2005 10:05 PM

looks nice. i'd say go for it.

mrmike 09-08-2005 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SouthDakotAlero@Sep 8 2005, 07:52 PM
if you did a little fiberglassing...
LOL I suck at fiberglassing. Last year I got pulled over in my 84' cutlass because the bottoms of my doors were missing (rust) and I had to fiberglass them, however I decided that it would be cheaper to use one layer of cloth and just a little resin, so it was mainly held on by duct tape. I wouldn't try it on my shiny Alero :) Anyways I figured that this light cover should be attached to the light itself, otherwise I would have to remove the front clip just to take the headlights out :P Vinyl would be ok, but it would be hard finding the right shade of silver plus no place in town sells that kind of stuff.

you've heard of ghetto mods? This is real ghetto..not a work in progress, she is complete!

At least I had the decency to primer over the duct tape :pimp:

jabartram 09-08-2005 10:49 PM

I would have to remove the front clip just to take the headlights out [/quote]

no you don't? 2 pull up clips under the hood and they pop right out, it takes all of 45 seconds.

mrmike 09-08-2005 10:54 PM

you have to slide them forward to take them out once you've unclipped them. If there is something in front of them attached to the fender it isn't coming out.

jabartram 09-08-2005 10:56 PM

nothing attached, except the harnesses, the two pull-up clips are the only thing that holds them on.

i think the idea is cool, but i understand what smlz is saying, try to round the the inside area up to match the curve in the front bumper.

mrmike 09-08-2005 11:01 PM

The headlight covers that I was designing were originally supposed to be attached to the front clip in front of the headlights. This would prevent the headlights from moving forward. I'm not saying there is any stock piece restraining the lights, and I can obviously take out my headlights because they are painted.

jabartram 09-08-2005 11:05 PM

oh ok i misunderstood. so you want to add to the bumper?

unless you molded to the bumper and the headlights to make a solid piece it might look a bit strange.

pawzbear 09-08-2005 11:07 PM

oh i like it alot!!..my fave thing on the newer BMW's is those awesome headlights. I especially like the chromey accents on their lights, its like silver eyeliner.. very sexy, in a somewhat subtle way. I like the first better, personally.. but whatever you like, its your car! hmm i might have to pull out some vinyl now.... errr maybe not =-P I am great with that stuff tho.

This what u were goin for? mmmhmmm sexy car ;)
[attachmentid=8546]

mrmike 09-08-2005 11:13 PM

my third post stated that I am going to attach it to the headlight and not the bumper so it can be taken off. I also don't want to attach it too permentantly incase I change my mind. BTW how much would it cost to get the front clip painted? My front end looks like its been through an asteroid field, my headlights are all chipped and the foglights are so pitted that they hardly give off any light. The lower part of the front clip is rough and flaking from serious stone damage.

@pawzbear: yeah! I wish I could afford one, but until I win the lottery my Alero is going to be my luxury supercar :pimp: Actually the first version was an accident, I didn't look at the picture closely so I made the line wrong.

About the 90* angle thing, I was just following the M3 design, I could easily round it a bit. A straight point like that would look out of place because the Alero doesn't have any straight lines/points.

AlbinoMonkeyRat 09-09-2005 09:51 AM

well if you go through with that, would you consider doing this:
http://www.geocities.com/jvxdriver/eagle_eyes.htm

mrmike 09-09-2005 01:56 PM

hell yah! That is awsome!

Jillian 09-09-2005 02:04 PM

I think the first one looks best!
Good luck :)