Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Engine Noise (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27058)

02AleroEco 05-04-2009 12:10 PM

Engine Noise

Ok so, as im sure its obv. i have a 2.2 Eco Automatic.

The car is a 2002.. it started last week. I started my car in myy driveway, it started fine with no issues. i pulled out of my driveay, straightened the car, and drove off. as i was accelerating i started hearing i high pitch squeal*. I put my foot on the break to see what was wrong, the squeal got a bit louder, i took my foot off the break the squeal remained. i accelerated the squeal got a bit louder, then it dissapeared. It happened again later that day, then the next day, the day after that twice, and yesterday and lastnight. I thought it was the Serpentine belt, so i changed it, it was time anyway. The squeal came back. and when drivin it in a parking lot with a buddy who is in school for car engines and electrical and stuff, while he was driving he to heard the sound, and when he turned, kind of sharp, it was a higher pitched squeal. We determined it was on the drivers side. Its not brakes, there is no leak, and pads are fine, calipers ect.
I cant figure it out, im come to an assumption that it is Suspension. but i first thought that it was the Control Arm, like bushings n such, or maybe Tie Rods. I went to Advance Auto to talk to them, he said it could be Wheel Bearing / Hub. does this sound feesable? or is it something im missing. I would like to figure it out, so it doesnt turn into a more serious prob.

Thanks for any help in advance

Nate's Alero 05-04-2009 12:12 PM

could be the strut rubbing? im not exactly positive, i know there are these bushings on the strut, or the upper strut bearing that goes bad

02AleroEco 05-04-2009 12:18 PM

ok.. the only thing is that its not a constant sound. it does go away

Nate's Alero 05-04-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02AleroEco (Post 459412)
ok.. the only thing is that its not a constant sound. it does go away

is it only turning?

02AleroEco 05-04-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate's Alero (Post 459414)
is it only turning?

It did it while turning once. it was a fairly sharp turn, its never done it before. Which was why i thought Control arm or Bushing

Nate's Alero 05-04-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02AleroEco (Post 459417)
It did it while turning once. it was a fairly sharp turn, its never done it before. Which was why i thought Control arm or Bushing

im thinking upper strut bearing....

02AleroEco 05-04-2009 01:06 PM

how can i know for sure? and would it be worth it to fix? or just get new struts?

CactusWill 05-04-2009 03:43 PM

So you're saying it only happens when the car is moving?

Merlyn 05-04-2009 10:07 PM

Not a bearing/hub - those things roar like airplanes passing over head.
And the brakes are auto adjusting, so if the calipers were sticking, you'd feel the drag.
Put a jack under each wheel, and spin them while in neutral, it should spin freely, and if you rock the wheel, twisting left or right - there shouldn't be any popping sounds.
Last option - have someone stand outside while you site in the drivers seat, and with the front end raised, alternate from slow-fast, Fwd - Rvrs. Hopefully the guy outside should be able to locate where it's coming from

02AleroEco 05-05-2009 11:19 AM

Ok. thanks, i shall try that

misslindseysue 05-05-2009 12:24 PM

See if it changes/goes away when the AC is on or off.

Merlyn 05-05-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02AleroEco (Post 459781)
Ok. thanks, i shall try that

Make sure the rear wheels are blocked!! it would be crappy if it dropped while zooming 3500 rpm and you parked it in your living room :badidea: