Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Braking issues (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38722)

CharmfulPeace 06-26-2016 01:20 AM

Braking issues

Hey all, Just wanting to get some input on this issue I'm having.

When I brake to slow down or stop, Izzy shakes... Haven't gotten around to checking things around the tires, but by the feel of it, I am almost thinking that the either Brake rotors are warped or I need to replace the brakes.

Do not know if this would also be relevant (Probably), but when I reach higher speeds (80km+) she gets a soft shaking, even on nice and flat patches of roads.

Will look at taking a peak around my wheels tomorrow since I should definitely have the time to do so (Will also look at clearing my corners).

sleepyalero 06-26-2016 01:29 AM

Warped rotors.

Papa Rad17 06-26-2016 01:36 AM

Your tires could be out of balance, warped rotors, maybe the hub bearing going out. You however should driving the car now before you cause expensive damage. I speak from experience. I noted something like what you are describing on my way to homecoming 2014. I had other problems on the trip (Previous owners neglect and wreck) that led to getting new tires. While my car was on the lift they called out. They proceed to grab my tire and shake it front to back, tire rod end shot. Then reach over and grab my entire rack and pinion assembly. It had about a half inch of play. Being a couple hundred miles away from home I couldn't deal with it, and limped home. A week later I got under the car to find the rack and pinon had an inch of play in the drivers side mount. The bolt was trashed, the rack its self had been ground out 2X larger, and had to build a completely new mount to weld onto the sub frame after grinding away the trashed metal. I know this is an extreme circumstance, and overall it was $400 fix because of the extensive damage + new tires. pictures may be around here somewhere still.
What you should take away from this is to stop stop driving the car until to know what you are dealing with. Get both front wheels off the ground, and make sure thing move that should, and the don't move, aren't moving.

CharmfulPeace 06-26-2016 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 664425)
Your tires could be out of balance, warped rotors, maybe the hub bearing going out. You however should driving the car now before you cause expensive damage. I speak from experience. I noted something like what you are describing on my way to homecoming 2014. I had other problems on the trip (Previous owners neglect and wreck) that led to getting new tires. While my car was on the lift they called out. They proceed to grab my tire and shake it front to back, tire rod end shot. Then reach over and grab my entire rack and pinion assembly. It had about a half inch of play. Being a couple hundred miles away from home I couldn't deal with it, and limped home. A week later I got under the car to find the rack and pinon had an inch of play in the drivers side mount. The bolt was trashed, the rack its self had been ground out 2X larger, and had to build a completely new mount to weld onto the sub frame after grinding away the trashed metal. I know this is an extreme circumstance, and overall it was $400 fix because of the extensive damage + new tires. pictures may be around here somewhere still.
What you should take away from this is to stop stop driving the car until to know what you are dealing with. Get both front wheels off the ground, and make sure thing move that should, and the don't move, aren't moving.

This is actually striking home for me since back in November/October my steering rack had actually snapped. Just got it back after spending $1225 on repairs (A-Frame had to be replaced also since the part that the rack bolts to had cracked and had a chip out of it so the replacement rack would not have been able to be securely replaced). I am currently looking for work, but whatever money I get I'll save up to look at a fix for this.

Will definitely look at checking things out tomorrow. Have the parents Jeep to drive, so maybe parking Izzy, for now, wouldn't be as much of a bummer.

CharmfulPeace 06-26-2016 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 664424)
Warped rotors.

Not really the most adept with car stuff, but am learning with my girl, so how would I check this out?

Redog 06-27-2016 02:05 PM

There's really no way to "check it out" If you stop and the steering wheel shakes, your rotors are warped.

I would just get new pads and rotors. Parts are pretty cheap for Aleros now. I have a brake upgrade from other GM cars and the brakes, for all 4 wheels, are less than $300 and that's for slotted and cross drilled :eek:

falloutboy 06-27-2016 03:51 PM

Than again, every garage here in Germany has a brake test stand for diagnosing and testing brakes.
Warped rotors, or dragging caliper can easily be found by using these -- if the mechanics had any clue on what to look for :)

Don't know if its the same in Canada or the US, though.

CharmfulPeace 06-28-2016 12:51 AM

Alrighty. Thanks!

CharmfulPeace 06-28-2016 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 664434)
There's really no way to "check it out" If you stop and the steering wheel shakes, your rotors are warped.

I would just get new pads and rotors. Parts are pretty cheap for Aleros now. I have a brake upgrade from other GM cars and the brakes, for all 4 wheels, are less than $300 and that's for slotted and cross drilled :eek:

I'll probably look at going to a local wrecking yard that I like going to. The guy there always gives me great deals so I might even be able to swing them for $150-$250