Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   tires (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34078)

the_weber 05-19-2011 10:46 AM

tires

What is a good mild racing tire you guys use? one that is still good for DD. Running some dragstrip sims and with forced indcution tires make a pretty noticable difference.

sleepyalero 05-19-2011 10:51 AM

I've got Nitto Neo-Gen Tires. had em for about 1000 miles now. i love em. and for 225/40/R18 the tires were 105$ a piece. :p

but they are not for winter. another good tire i like is fuzion HRI's.

Redog 05-19-2011 07:08 PM

I had Michellen Poilt Sports on my car before. Great tire, great in the snow (ask my neighbor how he felt after see a 2 door lower coupe pull out of a snow bank with no problem with his Land Rover stuck in a foot of snow :lol: ) but they started dry rotting after 5 years and I had to get rid of them. The "vandlism" factor didn't help also a reason I HAD to buy new rims :glare: .

They don't make them in 225/45/17's anymore so I had to get the next Michellen tire up. It's a Poilt Sport, I just forget which one. They are great in the snow too, and good on the street and track. I can still spin them up a bit more than the other tires, but the profile of the tire looks a lot better.

They are NOT cheap. The first set was $700 and the 2nd set was in the $680 range. You want good, you gotta pay

TdotAlero 05-19-2011 07:23 PM

GoodYear Assurance is good for summer use, and looks good. BFGoodrich are pretty good performance wise.... I can go on, the list is long.
Provide the size, budget and we go from there.

JLw7123 05-19-2011 07:34 PM

I run Hankook ventus v12 evo k110 on my summer rims. The only bad part about them is that they are not cheap
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...FPerformancevw

i also have had pirelli P-zero nero tires and falken tires but i have liked the hankooks the best.

robalero 05-19-2011 08:03 PM

im not a fan of hankooks I have a set on the alero atm in 15's and their noisy.

I have 225/50r17 in goodyear assurances that im waiting to throw on once I find some rims

jabartram 05-19-2011 09:27 PM

Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec.

TdotAlero 05-19-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robalero (Post 585280)
im not a fan of hankooks I have a set on the alero atm in 15's and their noisy.

What do you have? Hankook Optiomo? If so, they are a lower quality tire, that gets an unusually uneven wear, causing bumpy spots that make noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robalero (Post 585280)
I have 225/50r17 in goodyear assurances that im waiting to throw on once I find some rims

Had those past summer, and untill one popped last week. Very good tire in the rain, but not good at all in snow. A little noisy on the highways too.
Now I have Michelin X-Radial in the back and Cooper Lifeliner in the front.

mfuller 05-19-2011 10:01 PM

I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs on one set of wheels, and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics on the other set. Both are very grippy; the 'stones moreso in the dry, the Eagles in the wet.

Vella's Alero 05-19-2011 10:33 PM

I have had Riken Raptor ZR's for 2 years now and love them. They are decent in snow but not on ice.

Redog 05-20-2011 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vella's Alero (Post 585288)
They are decent in snow but not on ice.

the_weber 05-20-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 585272)
I had Michellen Poilt Sports on my car before. Great tire, great in the snow (ask my neighbor how he felt after see a 2 door lower coupe pull out of a snow bank with no problem with his Land Rover stuck in a foot of snow :lol: ) but they started dry rotting after 5 years and I had to get rid of them. The "vandlism" factor didn't help also a reason I HAD to buy new rims :glare: .

They don't make them in 225/45/17's anymore so I had to get the next Michellen tire up. It's a Poilt Sport, I just forget which one. They are great in the snow too, and good on the street and track. I can still spin them up a bit more than the other tires, but the profile of the tire looks a lot better.

They are NOT cheap. The first set was $700 and the 2nd set was in the $680 range. You want good, you gotta pay

Ouch on the price. but like you said. You get what you pay for. How are they for speed? Winter isnt a huge deal for me because I have an extra set of studed tires (it is alaska after all)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 585300)

you my good sir just made my day

robalero 05-20-2011 05:19 AM

for winters, I buy winter tires your in alaska im sure you know what I mean all seasons just do not cut it in the winter.

They are hankook h 418 is the tires im currently running

widbyj 05-20-2011 11:35 AM

I've been running BFG KDWs for several years now and am VERY happy. They come in two tread patterns: a classic looking one that is more all-weather and the New Tech wavy/teardrop pattern that is AWESOME in wet weather (you can hear the water being pumped away from the contact zone) but designed for dry speed. The tread is a bit soft but still get 30K plus from a set. BTW these are the tires used to set the 1G+ cornering records on vettes, they stiffen up at higher pressures very nicely without breaking loose and side-sliding. Besides, being different is GOOD. Just stay out of snow and especially ice...

robalero 05-20-2011 04:39 PM

their also a bitch to install, but they are very nice tires not cheap either

Redog 05-20-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_weber (Post 585305)
Ouch on the price. but like you said. You get what you pay for. How are they for speed? Winter isnt a huge deal for me because I have an extra set of studed tires (it is alaska after all)

The Pilot Sport Exalto are H rated which is to 130 MPH, but like I said, they don't come in 225/45/17's anymore. The ones I have now are Pilot Sport A/S Plus and they are "Z" rated which is good to 149 MPH.

You're not going to be driving at these speeds, use the speed rating to figure on how well the tire is built.

Both sets of tires I had were 500 treadwear rated, that's why they lasted so long.

Think about it, my $700 Michelin tires lasted 5 years and 55,000 miles where my $400 Summumito HTR +'s lasted a little over 2.5 years and 30,000 miles. Do the math ;)

bentiac 05-20-2011 07:50 PM

If you have two set of wheels get the hoosier race tires (drag spec for drag, A6 for autocross, R6 for road racing etc). If you want wet / dry racing tires on a second rim get Toyo R888... good all around.

If you have to have a single set of tires and drive on the street with them either get the Dunlop Direzza Z1, Potenza RE01, or Toyo RA-1.

kwhauck 05-22-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 585287)
I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs on one set of wheels, are very grippy;

I second this. I have a set of 01r's on my alero too.....

cavaliers60 05-22-2011 10:38 AM

I'm thinking about getting the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeCo ntact+DWS&partnum=25WR6ECDWS&vehicleSearch=true&fr omCompare1=yes&autoMake=Oldsmobile&autoYear=2000&a utoModel=Alero%20GLS%20Coupe&autoModClar=

Cliff8928 05-22-2011 12:25 PM

I have those Continentals on the Alero.. Haven't had those ones that long, but the predecessor to those were awesome.