Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Aleromod.com Showcase (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Coupe Turbo Project #2 (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38468)

cavedewler 12-15-2016 09:39 PM

Im surprised to see the rafters can actually hold that engine

Caboose73 12-22-2016 09:19 AM

Ya it was fine and came out without damaging anything

riceralero 02-15-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caboose73 (Post 665388)
Ya it was fine and came out without damaging anything

I'm happy that the rust came off!

Caboose73 02-15-2017 05:34 PM

ya me to im progress has been slow over the winter but im just finishing up my remodeling of the garage this week then im going to pull in the alero and start tearing it completely apart so i can grind/sand all the rust off of everything and give it a fresh coat of paint and under body coatings

Caboose73 04-14-2017 11:49 AM

Ok small update i got slightly distracted by my jeep xj buggy project i started over the winter so the poor girls been put on the back burner off to the back corner of my driveway. This is how she sits now :( but i finally got sick of looking at the engine just sitting on the stand in the corner of my garage so i decided to tear it down and see what condition its in and if i can use the block. Starting off i might of got a little to excited and started mocking things up to give me some inspiration lol

Caboose73 04-14-2017 12:08 PM

Ok now down to business this is how it sits now

Started by taking off the old filter and draining the oil

Then striped off the thermostat housing then the water pump

Then i pulled off the crank pulley,timing chain cover and cam towers

And finally decapitated the bitch and took the head off and it looks like someone used that stop leak crap in the coolant at some point cause some of the passages are clogged up with something.

00redse 04-14-2017 12:09 PM

If you decide to part it out instead, let me know. ;)

Otherwise though, I'm watching this with great interest.

Caboose73 04-14-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00redse (Post 666003)
If you decide to part it out instead, let me know. ;)

Otherwise though, I'm watching this with great interest.

i came very close to parting it out a couple times last year cause my GTO and Jeep buggy are eating up most of my fun budget but i decided to give it one last go

Caboose73 04-14-2017 05:39 PM

Got the heads off and everything looks pretty good considering it came out of my old black 99 alero that had almost 200K on it. Heres the old heads next to the P&P heads with bigger valves i had sitting on the shelf from my last build.

And an up close view of the Intake and Exhaust ports

And now the rotating assembly i dont really know why i numbered the rods/pistons seeing as im going to be using all new ones but i guess it doesn't really hurt anything so why not lol

And finally the block looks great and should definitely be usable it doesn't have any dings or grooves in any of the cylinder walls at all

00redse 04-15-2017 10:40 AM

Should flow pretty nicely. I'm a bit green with envy lol.

your cam profiles look nice. Does the intake cam have the power steering hex and cam position sensor pad?

Also, did I see you mention the 2.3 oil pump swap?

Caboose73 04-17-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00redse (Post 666008)
Should flow pretty nicely. I'm a bit green with envy lol.

your cam profiles look nice. Does the intake cam have the power steering hex and cam position sensor pad?

Also, did I see you mention the 2.3 oil pump swap?

Ya i'm definitely going to do the 2.3 oil pump swap and probably do some crank work(reduce weight,knife edge and maybe an oil shedding coating). The cams will fit everything like stock its a custom grind sold years ago that i managed to grab before they stopped selling them. The grind is supposed to be really great on the street with boost but we will see after i get it all together and get some dyno numbers and compare them to the HO cams.

riceralero 04-19-2017 09:50 AM

that gunk in the coolent system might be dex-cool if it comes in contact with air it starts to solidify

Caboose73 04-23-2017 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceralero (Post 666020)
that gunk in the coolent system might be dex-cool if it comes in contact with air it starts to solidify

That makes way more sense i didnt know dex-cool did that

riceralero 04-24-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caboose73 (Post 666038)
That makes way more sense i didnt know dex-cool did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbX4CuE8auY
this is what it looks like, with an explanation

Caboose73 04-26-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceralero (Post 666041)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbX4CuE8auY
this is what it looks like, with an explanation

wow :eek: :eek: i didn't know it did that definitely not running dexcool in any car ever again

AleroB888 04-26-2017 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caboose73 (Post 666048)
wow :eek: :eek: i didn't know it did that definitely not running dexcool in any car ever again

Unless you have or had a bad LIM gasket (3400 V6), which could get coolant and oil vapor into places it shouldn't be, I wouldn't worry about it that much. You still have to change it, flush out the system after 5 years or 50K miles, though. And as far as I know, the formula was changed some years ago.

You do have to be very careful to keep air out of the system as well. The LIM gasket should be replaced with the Felpro upgrade when possible.