Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   wheel hop (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14047)

-Alero- 08-06-2006 08:21 AM

wheel hop

anyone else have this issue. if im just sitting at a redlight or anywhere at a stop and just floor it, the car wheel hops like crazy. the other night it hopped so bad my rear view mirror came off.

also im sure this is bad for the drivetrain, but just exactly how bad?

i'd like to be cured of wheel hop, should i just get new tires? i mean my tires seem to be sticky and slick at the same time, and i just rotated tires not too long ago.

also i could let out some tire pressue but it would kill my gas mileage.

jabartram 08-06-2006 11:14 AM

i would check your front struts (whether they are new or not) wheelhop usually occurs due to suspension geometry issues, also chech your bushings and motor/tranny mounts.

BlackJack 08-06-2006 12:50 PM

heh, I have a cure for that at the track, but you're not gonna want to use that on the street.

-Alero- 08-06-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabartram
i would check your front struts (whether they are new or not) wheelhop usually occurs due to suspension geometry issues, also chech your bushings and motor/tranny mounts.

what exactly should i look at on my struts?

am i looking for play in my motor/tranny mounts?

-Alero- 08-06-2006 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack
heh, I have a cure for that at the track, but you're not gonna want to use that on the street.

slicks?

BlackJack 08-06-2006 08:26 PM

no, using aircraft cable to hold down the front end. In your case, it's more likely motor mounts/tranny mounts.

-Alero- 08-06-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack
no, using aircraft cable to hold down the front end. In your case, it's more likely motor mounts/tranny mounts.

yeah but what do you mean my mounts? loose ones? broken ones? too tight? bent? lol upside down?

what am i looking for here. maybe buy a polyurethane/billet one from RSM/milzy

Mischief007 08-06-2006 08:52 PM

I have the same problem but that's because of the way I drive...oops. I was told that my front lower control arm bushings need to be replaced but they look good still.

-Alero- 08-06-2006 10:44 PM

yeah see if they look good, then what else can i do?

Oldsman 08-06-2006 10:50 PM

i took care of mine with STIFF suspension and tranny mount

-Alero- 08-06-2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldsman
i took care of mine with STIFF suspension and tranny mount

hmm. hope my struts arent showing thier fatigue at 66k on my sprint/springtech springs.

hey scott which tranny mount did you buy? the RSM one, the milzy one, or a different one. dunno if i wanna fork out 180$ to fix some tire spazams lol

Redog 08-06-2006 11:30 PM

If that doesn't work they do make traction bars for FWD cars

jabartram 08-06-2006 11:43 PM

what is your motor and tranny setup?

-Alero- 08-06-2006 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabartram
what is your motor and tranny setup?

err.... 3.4 pretty much stock. and stock tranny.

-Alero- 08-06-2006 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog
If that doesn't work they do make traction bars for FWD cars

does this just allow it to plant more traction or does it have any cons?

Oldsman 08-07-2006 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Alero- (Post 210402)
hmm. hope my struts arent showing thier fatigue at 66k on my sprint/springtech springs.

hey scott which tranny mount did you buy? the RSM one, the milzy one, or a different one. dunno if i wanna fork out 180$ to fix some tire spazams lol

i got one that springs did. which is like the RSM one.

BlackJack 08-08-2006 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Alero- (Post 210425)
err.... 3.4 pretty much stock. and stock tranny.

Then I doubt your wheel hop is from needing traction bars. Most people have enough trouble trying to get a little chirp off the line with a stock 3400/auto unless you have a "factory freak".

-Alero- 08-09-2006 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 211087)
Then I doubt your wheel hop is from needing traction bars. Most people have enough trouble trying to get a little chirp off the line with a stock 3400/auto unless you have a "factory freak".

just got bolt on's, nothing special.

180 thermostat
2.5 exhaust with magnaflow muffler and cat
WAI
TB bypass
FFP underdrive crank pulley
lightened alternator pulley
MSD wires (soon MSD coil packs)
DHP PCM v1.0
adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

trust me the car hops like crazy on launches

BlackJack 08-09-2006 01:01 AM

I believe you that it hops, but like I said, I doubt from needing traction bars. You more than likely have a 3.05 final drive, and that is too big of a gear to really put down alot of torque with your mods to cause wheel hop. I think you have a mechanical problem that traction bars wont cure.

-Alero- 08-09-2006 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 211107)
I believe you that it hops, but like I said, I doubt from needing traction bars. You more than likely have a 3.05 final drive, and that is too big of a gear to really put down alot of torque with your mods to cause wheel hop. I think you have a mechanical problem that traction bars wont cure.

sigh... i'll just avoid flooring it at launches, and just easing my wait to WOT. untill i can pick up the new transmission mount.

other than that i dont think im taking my car to the stealership cause they will jus tdrive my car around for 45 minutes, charge me 40$ and tell me nothing is wrong.