Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   need electrical help!!!! (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30819)

globalmaa 03-16-2010 05:17 PM

need electrical help!!!!

Hey everyone , new here, i just bought a 99' Alero 2 dr coupe. I thought i was getting a great car and i did but the cruise doesn't work. when you push the button the light lights up but then when you release the light goes out. the cruise doesn't work.
problem 2) my power sunroof doesn't open. i push the button and nothing no noise no motor no nothing. problem 3) my ets doesn't work either i push the button and nothing. any thought would be great.

alero_bmxer 03-16-2010 05:25 PM

1. you need a new cc box that mounts to the steering wheel.
2. check your sunroof fuse its probably blown.
3. wheel bearing/hub needs to be replaced.
4. welcome to the site

Ryan from Ohio 03-16-2010 05:43 PM

I have the same problem with my cruise control.

For 4 years Ive been driving with a small piece of material wedged in behind it. I used the backing off a pad of paper. It works and was free. New cruise control switches run $55+.

I would guess fuse for the sunroof as well.

The traction control could be tricky. I would check to make sure each wheel bearing is plugged in. Failing that it could be a hub or deeper?

colonel6632 03-16-2010 07:29 PM

it might not be his wheel bearing guys.

do you have your svs, trac off, and abs light on? if all of those are on, then i agree with the guys, wheel bearing or a broken abs wire going to wheel bearings.

if the lights aren't on. then maybe the trac off button isn't plugged in

alero_bmxer 03-16-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel6632 (Post 532361)
if the lights aren't on. then maybe the trac off button isn't plugged in

damn thought of this after i posted....

lord2heart 03-16-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio (Post 532335)
small piece of material wedged in behind it. I used the backing off a pad of paper

how did you do that? hell, if that works, i'l do it too. mine is craping out

globalmaa 03-17-2010 06:08 PM

well when they put on new front brakes they told me the ABS light was on because a wire broke off when installing the rotors. Could this effect the traction control from coming on. When I push the button the light doesn't even come on. The cruise i can live without. I checked the fuse and although a little rusty in appears not to be blown.

Ryan from Ohio 03-17-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lord2heart (Post 532440)
how did you do that? hell, if that works, i'l do it too. mine is craping out

I pushed the button in and wedged the card stock in with the button pushed in.

Just wedge it in there and it will stay on and function right.

globalmaa 03-17-2010 06:17 PM

ok so i was reading some posts here and I also have a ticking sound in the middle of the dash. More noticeable when i put the signal on. It actually sounds like the signal is still on without the flashing. Could this also be part of my problems?

sfi3400 03-18-2010 01:29 AM

i agree i have my abs, trac, and svs on and its the bearing, just havent got around to fix t started work and now no free time till 1am or reallllly early in the morning. WELCOME TO THE FAMILY.

Nate's Alero 03-18-2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globalmaa (Post 532559)
ok so i was reading some posts here and I also have a ticking sound in the middle of the dash. More noticeable when i put the signal on. It actually sounds like the signal is still on without the flashing. Could this also be part of my problems?

change the hazard switch, it's bad...

globalmaa 03-18-2010 06:46 AM

Hey guys thanks for all the advice, now i'm really getting frustrated. here are my problems.
1) ABS light stays on. (told a wire was broke)
2)constant ticking in dash ( thanks i'll change hazard switch )
3)Cruise control doesn't work
4)ETS doesn't work
5)Power sunroof doesn't work
6) head lights come on even in the day time ,go off when you turn the keys off only. The switch I think needs replacing.
7) Filled up with gas and now looks like fuel gauge doesn't work. drove about 175 km and it still reads full.
8) water pump pully makes a whinning sound like metal on metal.
9) brakes make a scrapping sound not a constant scrap but a short repeated sound.

Please help I bought the car a week ago and don't have a ton of money to sink into it and any help from you guys will be great.

Nate's Alero 03-18-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by globalmaa (Post 532658)
Hey guys thanks for all the advice, now i'm really getting frustrated. here are my problems.
1) ABS light stays on. (told a wire was broke)
2)constant ticking in dash ( thanks i'll change hazard switch )
3)Cruise control doesn't work
4)ETS doesn't work
5)Power sunroof doesn't work
6) head lights come on even in the day time ,go off when you turn the keys off only. The switch I think needs replacing.
7) Filled up with gas and now looks like fuel gauge doesn't work. drove about 175 km and it still reads full.
8) water pump pully makes a whinning sound like metal on metal.
9) brakes make a scrapping sound not a constant scrap but a short repeated sound.

Please help I bought the car a week ago and don't have a ton of money to sink into it and any help from you guys will be great.

1. Fix the wire and ABS, and trac will come back.
3. Wedge a coin in the switch when the light is on, will hold it down to work
5. fuse or motor
6. DRL's, in Canada look like low beams, normal
7. Stuck Float
8. Bad water pump, replace
9. warped rotors, nothing to worry about

globalmaa 03-18-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate's Alero (Post 532659)
1. Fix the wire and ABS, and trac will come back.
3. Wedge a coin in the switch when the light is on, will hold it down to work
5. fuse or motor
6. DRL's, in Canada look like low beams, normal
7. Stuck Float
8. Bad water pump, replace
9. warped rotors, nothing to worry about

Water pump issue is it the water pump or just the pulley?

sfi3400 03-18-2010 01:02 PM

im guessing water pump mine did that and i replaced it, then as we all know you replace one thing and something else breaks, well lucky me my MANIFOLD GASKET shot the one that is on top of the engine, and i dont know how to replace that so there is 500bucks

Nate's Alero 03-18-2010 01:39 PM

3400? if so it's like a 10 minute job... and if the pulley is making noise then fo sho the pump is bad

keytonic 03-18-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfi3400 (Post 532708)
im guessing water pump mine did that and i replaced it, then as we all know you replace one thing and something else breaks, well lucky me my MANIFOLD GASKET shot the one that is on top of the engine, and i dont know how to replace that so there is 500bucks

Tis a easy job. If not sure get a Haynes manual. save yourself a few hundred dollars

Yeah fix the water pump asap would really suck driving down the road and have that seize up on ya sucks shit when that happens

globalmaa 03-18-2010 08:26 PM

Ok any one got a manual or link on how to change the pump?

colonel6632 03-18-2010 09:15 PM

you can't just fix an abs wire. you need a new one. they work from resistance.
and new ones are rather expensive

also... go to your local parts store, they should have the book. they aren't that bad, and do help alot.

constant ticking in dash might not be the hazard button. try this like first
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Grand-Am-Turn-Signals

it's easy to do. i did it in my friends malibu

globalmaa 03-19-2010 06:32 AM

I'm going to replace the water pump tonight. looks like just 5 bolts .

Anyways i think the light/turn signal switch is the culprit for the ticking. My driving lights come on now and no matter what position the light switch is in they stay on. so I'm going to take it apart and clean the contacts and see if that is the solution.

doesn't surprise me that the wire for the ABS is expensive.The Abs still work properly though? Just the traction wont work cause of the wire?
I now know why the car was so cheap . Lots of electrical problems and $$$ to fix.