Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Strut tower brace debate. (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31281)

jabartram 04-29-2010 12:02 AM

Strut tower brace debate.

as the title states, i'm interested in what opinions people have of whether slod braces or pivot braces are better?

i have run my last 2 races on pivot braces, and this weekend i'm trying solids.

cherrington17 04-29-2010 12:10 AM

um... maybe for us "idiots" can you have a pic for the difference? :lol:

colonel6632 04-29-2010 12:15 AM

i'm not totally sure
but i think this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Honda-Civic-88-00...item3a5a2c3518
would be a pivot brace

and a solid one would be without the bolts at the ends, just a solid piece

cherrington17 04-29-2010 12:18 AM

ok. Thats what i thought... but wanted to be sure.

I don't race... but I noticed a significant increase in the stiffness of my steering, when I added my pivot bars. I'd imagine the solids would be even more so.

heineck 04-29-2010 12:54 AM

I have a solid but never had a pivot idk which ones better

hok666 04-29-2010 02:17 AM

I will be installing mine soon within the next week.

I got them from PFYC

Anybody got an install method?

I was just thinking of removing the nuts to the strut tower, then attaching the braces, then replacing the nuts.. sound good? anyone?

I will vote soon enough tho..

tnalero99 04-29-2010 04:09 AM

I first had an ebay pivot bar and it did give a firmer feel to the front of the car. I have the 3400 and it began to rub slightly on the alternator, could have been the bad engine mount also.
I then replaced it for a MRZ performance solid bar and I like the feel of it better, feels a little more solid. I do not know how much difference each would make at a track because I daily drive and haven't been real aggressive with it on corners. I also installed a rear sway bar shortly after the solid bar and can take corners pretty aggressively now.

kwhauck 04-29-2010 07:42 AM

common sense would tell me that solid bars would be better, I think the rigidity would help you navigate corners easier, and make your car easier to read in and out of corners....

jabartram 04-29-2010 11:27 AM

a couple things i've noticed so far, the solids are quieter, and they seem to hold the chassis tighter, the true test will be this weekend.

i'm considering making adapters to secure to the firewall also.

bentiac 04-29-2010 11:51 AM

I have Pivot in front and solid in the back. If all other specs the same the solid should provide better results but my front pivot STB is thicker and with more rigid material.

Also pivot ones are adjustable vs solid ones that are not:

1)Easier to install without having them push out or in
2)Comes in handy if you want to widen your strut tower tracks and dial in some extra - camber.

Overall the decision should be based on the thickness, material, and application but for the ones I have, I vote pivot. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ryan from Ohio 04-29-2010 12:24 PM

You can help me answer my vote.

Between the pivot and solid shown, which one has a bigger bolt holding it together?

That one gets my vote.

There is a bit of a lever effect in the pivot though...

Redog 04-29-2010 12:46 PM

I have the pivot and never had a soild.

Let me know

It is a tight fit with the alternator, but if you have the bar on backwards, it rubs the alternator

bentiac 04-29-2010 01:18 PM

If you are handy, you might want to make one of these for yourself:

[ion] C2 04-29-2010 02:14 PM

Had a pivot, doesn't fit anymore with the GT3076R, fabricating a solid one soon.

phillipandtabby 04-29-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentiac (Post 540232)

:eek: Holy cowl! thats nice!!!! Did you buy that? does it fit the alero? if so were from?

mfuller 04-29-2010 04:35 PM

Um...no. Autoexe stuff does not fit the Alero.
You're on your own for anything other than upper strut tower braces.
Honestly, while they probably don't hurt, I don't think the Alero is as bad as some other cars since the strut towers are faily close to the firewall/rear bulkhead.
FWIW, I have a MRZ brace in front and a SLP brade in back - the MRZ bolts the center bar to the mounting brackets, while the SLP is all 1-piece welded steel.
MRZ is below; I can't find a pic of the SLP rear brace (long since discontinued).

jabartram 04-29-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentiac (Post 540232)

i'm already working with some people on setting up a lower strut brace and a couple other things kept secret.

BlackJack 04-29-2010 08:37 PM

were it me, I'd go solid across the towers with firewall tie-in. Good luck bro, looks like you're building a time-attack monster (whatever the hell that is LOL)

kwhauck 04-29-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJack (Post 540296)
were it me, I'd go solid across the towers with firewall tie-in. Good luck bro, looks like you're building a time-attack monster (whatever the hell that is LOL)

there was a three point STB in the works at one time, (i was a part of it) About 4 weeks into before any real progress was made the guy doing the fabrication/designing was killed in a car accident and we were all refunded out money and got a regular 2pt strut bar for shipping costs....

irondiezl3 05-11-2010 11:18 AM

anyone know for sure which one wont touch the alt? i have a vibrant it didnt hit the alt but if i hit the gas hard enough the car would almost stall out found it was groudning out on the alt. there was a gouge in the bar from it. is there one thats got more clearance i miss having a strut bar.