Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Slower Acceleration Response (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30868)

XanderWiFi 03-21-2010 01:46 AM

Slower Acceleration Response

So this is an odd and out there speculative sort of question but I must ask it for the sake of my curiosity. I have wondered for some time now, why it is that when I floor the gas the rpms go up, the engine revs up, but there is about a 1-2 second delay (it feels that long) before there is actually any acceleration made.

I wonder this because I do not know if that is simply the way are engines are designed, the transmission design or whatnot. I just would like to push on my pedal and feel immediate "go."

Tune ups, oil changes, fuel filter changes...etc etc...all general maintenance is up to date. CAI and cat-back exhaust/high flow cat.

I wonder if I need my engine tuned...or if the throttle body needs some upgrading...fuel injector problems...? I would like to hear your guy's theories.

For all I know, it just may be normal.

clutch1 03-21-2010 02:24 AM

Waits a sec to drop a gear, otherwise it'd feel way too choppy if you were the kind that goes WOT for split seconds (some people don't know how to drive).

XanderWiFi 03-21-2010 03:46 AM

I'm kinda getting the jist of what you are saying but I am failing to put it all together in a complete picture to fully understand.

Nate's Alero 03-21-2010 08:15 AM

TCC Disengaging, you'll get that "delay" i have it too

[ion] C2 03-21-2010 09:27 AM

yep delay is the torque converter clutch disengaging like he says.

Nate's Alero 03-21-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 533139)
yep delay is the torque converter clutch disengaging like he says.

:emotlol:

XanderWiFi 03-21-2010 12:19 PM

Interesting...so it's all a normal thing then eh? What a bummer for my speed racer antics...

clutch1 03-21-2010 09:33 PM

I think of it as the flux capacitor building power when I mash the throttle before it can fully unleash it.

XanderWiFi 03-21-2010 10:29 PM

LOLz

Runaboveit 03-22-2010 10:29 AM

Since I'm ignorant, I googled how the TCC works to understand this better. My previous knowledge of it was only that if it messed up/malfunctioned the car would stall getting off the highway. So here is a link here to anybody who doesn't really know what it is...If you have a little auto knowledge it should make sense:

http://www.freeengineinfo.com/tcc-to...ckup-conve.htm (scroll down the whole page. the text cuts out in the middle with a couple ads or something.)

And I didn't get the Flux joke, so i googled it. In a nutshell, it turns out it was an important part of the delorean time machine in the back to the future movies (Ive watched them but it was so long ago). Anyway, as the car neared 88mph , it (the flux capacitor) would flash lights quicker and quicker and then when it hit 88 it would turn to a solid beam of light before the car took off into time. So he "made a funny" making a reference to that movie and comparing the alero to the delorean and how it takes off and vanishes in an instant.

I havent been sleeping well as of late (well.. since the accident I had on the 4th) so I tend to ramble on message boards after being awake for 24+ hours sometimes. So please excuse me. lol.

And I know there will be other people that are going to be like what the heck is a TCC and a flux thingamajig. So there ya go. (Yes. I said it. Thingamajig. Wanna fight about it?)

:p

clutch1 03-22-2010 01:36 PM

As long as we're talkin about TCCs, there's more problems you can have with it!

The TCC eliminates the fluid coupling in the TC, and makes it a mechanical coupling for no power loss while cruising. The TC multiplies torque with the way the vane structure is set up inside of it, which isn't needed at cruise anyways.

If it sticks/ stays on, the car will die, like you said.. basically it's just like not pressing the clutch when coming to a stop. Plus it will feel like engine braking most likely. When the car dies you lose trans pressure and the clutch disengages.

There are several reasons it won't come on..
car's too cold
car is misfiring
brake switch is depressed
bad tcc solenoid

All of these can sure cause issues.... and you absolutely want to make sure they get fixed. A TCC that isn't engaging at cruise will burn up your tranny in most cases. Serious business folks!!!! The fluid coupling loses some potential power when it's not engaged, and that translates to heat, which translates to hot ATF, which is baddd.

When the brake switch is pressed the comp assumes you're going to decel, so it'll release the TCC.

So a neat trick is, if ya wanna ensure it's engaged properly.. get on the highway, steady speed, and just tap the brakes, you should see RPM jump a couple hundred, then drop back down when the TCC engages again.

Cool stuff ;P

Garion1076 03-22-2010 03:05 PM

You have one too?!?!?
:banghead:

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch1 (Post 533247)
I think of it as the flux capacitor building power when I mash the throttle before it can fully unleash it.

XanderWiFi 03-23-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch1 (Post 533417)
As long as we're talkin about TCCs, there's more problems you can have with it!

So a neat trick is, if ya wanna ensure it's engaged properly.. get on the highway, steady speed, and just tap the brakes, you should see RPM jump a couple hundred, then drop back down when the TCC engages again.

Cool stuff ;P

I tried this...I just decelerated but didn't notice an RPM boost...

Runaboveit 03-23-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanderWiFi (Post 533754)
I tried this...I just decelerated but didn't notice an RPM boost...

me too.

clutch1 03-25-2010 12:19 AM

Did you keep your foot on the gas when you tapped the brake?

You gotta keep power to the trans when you do this, and just enough brakes to turn cruise off

XanderWiFi 03-25-2010 12:30 AM

Ah...that makes sense. I'll try it again. What about something like this: my pedal just has more give before the engine responds. It's annoying.

XanderWiFi 03-25-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clutch1 (Post 533980)
Did you keep your foot on the gas when you tapped the brake?

You gotta keep power to the trans when you do this, and just enough brakes to turn cruise off

It does indeed work.

XanderWiFi 04-05-2010 11:28 PM

If you do notice some hesitation and power loss. Treat the oil, gas tank and intake with seafoam all combined-run it for a day or two and then change the oil and there is definitely a noticeable improvement in takeoff and engine healthiness.