Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Alerochick's Headlights (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9077)

alerochick242 09-14-2005 01:01 PM

Here are the instructions for creating a "copy" of my headlight mod (as seen in the Showcase forum, under the thread "Headlights are Done").

I pretty much followed the instructions for clearing the corners on this same topic. Here is a brief description...

1) Remove headlights and get them apart per "clearing corners" instructions. I was a little wary of putting my headlights in the oven because of the chrome plating, so I just used a heatgun.

2) Once the headlights are completely apart, you will need to paint the chrome bezel. Instead of painting the whole thing, I used 3M masking tape to mask off the reflectors for the turn signal and side marker lights, leaving the outer edges uncovered. I then used four light coats of black Krylon Fusion and let each bezel dry for one hour.

3) I then carefully removed the masking take to expose the chrome reflectors, and then reassembled the headlights following the instructions in the "clearing corners" post. I used two-part epoxy to attach the bezel to the lens, and then slicone RTV to attach the large grey part to the lens.

4) I then let the assembled headlights dry and cure for 24 hours before I put them back on the car.

5) To completely copy my look, use Sylvania Silverstar high and low beams, Silverstar turn signal bulbs (they look blue but light up amber :cool: ), and amber 194 bulbs for the side marker lights.

*If anyone wants more detailed instructions, just reply and I will try to explain the best I can! :)

RoninKouga 09-14-2005 01:08 PM

wow seems ure reaaly a win here.

alero440 09-14-2005 02:53 PM

cool, now I know what bulbs to get, however, I don't know if I want the "blue" look with my red car.... I'll have to look around

alerochick242 09-14-2005 03:13 PM

^ Yeah, you might just want to go with the amber turn signal bulbs that come stock. I used the bluish Silverstars because they look really cool with the color of my car (tropical teal). :)

FormulaNERD 09-14-2005 03:15 PM

look at that, the newb is already writing how-to's.... awesome.

alero440 09-14-2005 03:19 PM

I could write you on how-to on shopping, other then that I'm pretty usless, lol

Yeah I think I'm going to stick with the amber bulbs, I thought those silverstars were more silver, not so blue. That's ok, It'll be cheaper in the end, lol

alerochick242 09-14-2005 03:25 PM

^ Cheaper, yes. My Silverstar turn signals cots about $20 for the pair. I did see some silver-looking bulbs in Autozone the other day- I don't remember if they were turn signal bulbs that lighted up amber or if they lighted up clear. You could stop by and look the next time you go shopping. :)

gre0481 09-15-2005 02:35 AM

Copy? Why would anyone want to do that? Maybe get an idea or two; but not COPY.. :P

2fst4u 09-18-2005 10:02 PM

yeah, you tell her about originality, mr. stock headlights.

pawzbear 09-18-2005 10:14 PM

^^ yeah really =/

i think they look nice and i LOVE LOVE LOVE ur color car, tropical tealll!! fo shizzle, awesome!!!!!

gre0481 09-18-2005 11:10 PM

Hey, I'm not insulting? What caused that reaction.

I'm just saying, you wouldn't have to copy. But the how to would explain how she did it.

I'm sure there's ways you could use her how to for something similiar.

Sheesh, so defensive on here people.

pimpnalero99 09-20-2005 08:09 PM

Wonderful. But where's the pix of the finished product? I've been thinkin about painting mine black. How would tinting the corners with VHT Niteshades be?

alerochick242 09-21-2005 10:33 AM

The pic of the finished product is under the Showcase forum under the thread "Headlights are done!". Here is the link...

Headlight Pics

alerochick242 09-21-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by pawzbear@Sep 19 2005, 02:14 AM
^^ yeah really =/

i think they look nice and i LOVE LOVE LOVE ur color car, tropical tealll!! fo shizzle, awesome!!!!!

Thank you! :biggrin: I love it, too- it's kinda different. I've only seen a few Aleros around here that are that color.

pimpnalero99 09-27-2005 07:41 PM

I just cleared my corners back in May. I didn't think to paint the bezels. I might do that next month when I'm on vacation.

alerochick242 09-28-2005 11:11 AM

^ That would look good! I think black bezels look awesome on black and other dark-colored cars! :thumb:

firstson 11-22-2005 09:29 PM

You talked about taking the lights apart per "clearing corner" instruction...was there a topic posted on that, cuz i did a search and didn't come up with anything. could you maybe point me in the right direction if there was one or give me so instructions, i'd really appriciate the help :)

sound_xtreme 11-23-2005 07:59 AM

i bumped it to make it easier to find as it's a pretty popular how to.
http://invision.aleromod.com/index.php?showtopic=17

firstson 11-23-2005 09:50 AM

Thanks a lot extreme...that'll really be a big help when i start to work on it.