Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fram... finally making one the right way (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37840)

MMGT1 03-23-2014 05:16 PM

Fram... finally making one the right way

Thought I would give you guys a heads up on the Fram Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter. Yes, its a Fram... yes, Fram is crap and I would not recommend one to my worst enemy. But, and this is a big "BUT", they finally did it right! The Fram Ultra Synthetic filter is a Double Layer Synthetic media and is specifically engineered for the use of Synthetic oils. *Which most of us here have been using for years. Not only does it have the Synthetic media, unlike the crappy paper that can fail as we all know, but also is reinforced with a metal screening that will keep the filtration in place for many, many miles! You gotta check the design out, this is the best designed filter I have ever personally seen. It also has a "Anti-drain back Valve" that is finally made from Silicone and they report 3X the hot oil resistance. Like I said, yea Fram is plain crap and I would not use it, but this one is a step above and is about time someone did this right. Check it out for yourselves and make your own choice, but this one gets my stamp of approval, and I'm a picky bitch! LOL

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram...il-filter.aspx

sleepyalero 03-23-2014 05:18 PM

Good stuff man.

billytheman1188 03-23-2014 05:26 PM

hmmmm....i am in need of an oil change....i've always used delco though....gonna be tough to buy the fram lol. It's probably pretty pricey too...

RalphP 03-23-2014 05:26 PM

So - it's as good as a Wix or Purolator filter has been all along?

RwP

MMGT1 03-23-2014 05:35 PM

Purlorator has been known to fail, seen the evidence myself. I am a BIG FAN of Wix, that has been my filter of choice for many, many years. Today I am replacing the Fram Ultra for the first time, used one at my last oil change and I'm just saying I've found a new friend. I will continue to use this filter line. Really the choice is yours, it's just that Fram has been crap for so long it's about time they made one at this level. I am truly impressed with this filter

MMGT1 03-25-2014 01:01 PM

Here's a good read to go with your filter choices

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

JLw7123 03-25-2014 01:12 PM

Are there any filters still made in America. Amsoil makes some great stuff. I use Rotella T6 fully synthetic and a Mobile 1 oil filter

zzyzzx 03-25-2014 01:21 PM

I may switch to Motorcraft's for next time, even in my non-Fords.

kinkyredalero 03-25-2014 02:09 PM

Me and my dad have always put fram oil and fram oil filter in my alero, why is it bad?

[ion] C2 03-25-2014 02:38 PM

brand loyalty
marketing
testing

it's oil. they all work. the only reason i use one type of oil and filter over the rest is consistency and that it's used in many high power applications without issue. and i've had enouch experience to say it works well.

MMGT1 03-25-2014 04:54 PM

The AC Delco filter for the C6 Corvette is unbelievably good, it will fit the Camaro as well, too bad not for us. Other than that filter in particular, you would know it because it has a black filter casing and is not cheap either, I would not use AC Delco anymore. They changed the element in it a few years back and is no longer near the quality it used to be. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Wix or the Fram Ultra Syn should be your choice list these days imo

jackal2000 03-27-2014 12:55 PM

Mobil 1 oil and Wix filter (Napa Gold) for me.

MMGT1 03-27-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal2000 (Post 653099)
Mobil 1 oil and Wix filter (Napa Gold) for me.

Very good combo there imo...

03Alerosil 03-28-2014 03:10 PM

I use Napa Gold or even the Napa Platinum Filter which I have had good longevity out of. Gold works well with synthetic as well.

Frams like to collapse and they don't filter worth a crap. In school right now but every vehicle I have worked on with engine issues has a fram filter on it.

MMGT1 03-28-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Alerosil (Post 653117)
Frams like to collapse and they don't filter worth a crap. In school right now but every vehicle I have worked on with engine issues has a fram filter on it.

Exactly my point... they suck, but they finally made one the right way man!

Papa Rad17 04-21-2014 11:00 PM

it has been well known that fram filter and some other cheap brands use cardboard for part of their filtering processes. :thumbsdown:
this fram filter seems to look ok, I myself have best luck with a bosch oil filter. they have incorporated the aint-drain valve for some time in their filters and dont use cardboard crap, why anyone would ever want their oil circulating through that I will never know. not to mention as said before, due to marketing they can charge ridiculous prices for complete and utter crap.