Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dash recover? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37892)

shane3221 04-17-2014 01:28 PM

Dash recover?

Ok so we all hate how our dashes peels up and crinkles so I am going to fork out the money and buy some red and black alcantara fabric to recover it in but need to know how many meters I would need to do the full dash. I'm doing this payday so I will post some pic up soon and let you all know how it is to work with and how it looks. This isn't my first recover of a dash I used to work at a custom shop so it should come out decent .

Nas Escobar 04-17-2014 02:14 PM

Should be 2 to 3 yards. Measure up your dash, and get the 54" wide fabric.

mfuller 04-17-2014 02:23 PM

How are you going to do this? Are you removing the entire dash from the car?
I ask because I really want to get mine re-upholstered. I don't care for dash caps and I really don't like the carpet covers.

shane3221 04-17-2014 02:38 PM

It will be recovered in the car. The piller covers defrost cover and all the dash trim will be removed along with the steering wheel for easier access. And I totaly agree with you on dash caps and the carpet cover looking hideous and cheap. Tools needed to do are fabric with out a doubt lol, heat gun, xacto knife an new blades don't use old ones they will tear more the cut, steering wheel puller, a soft squeegee one that won't leave marks,, puddy spreader to get fabric into creases and corners, and a lot of patience. As for the glue don't get the cheap shit.

shane3221 04-17-2014 02:39 PM

Oh and also cover every thing up u dont want glue on.

sleepyalero 04-17-2014 03:02 PM

There better be a thread with pics through this process.

shane3221 04-17-2014 03:33 PM

There will be I'm going to make. How to. Minus the removal of the factory vinal that's already been removed takes about an hour and 45 min to remove and clean the old padding and glue off. Just scrape off the padding as best you can and then use paint thinner and a scrub brush to remove glue.

NoSweat83 04-17-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 653718)
There better be a thread with pics through this process.

Ditto

sleepyalero 04-17-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane3221 (Post 653722)
There will be I'm going to make. How to. Minus the removal of the factory vinal that's already been removed takes about an hour and 45 min to remove and clean the old padding and glue off. Just scrape off the padding as best you can and then use paint thinner and a scrub brush to remove glue.

Post pic of dash now.

negolien 04-17-2014 05:21 PM

Doh!!!!

I' am sooo lucky the one person who owned my car before me was an anal-retentive lady with OCD about keeping her car clean :p 91,000 miles 2001 model the interior looks mighty nice for 12 year old leather. Not a rip, scuff or ding in any of the seats, door panels or the dash. I do use a window shade during the spring and summer anytime the cars exposed to direct sunlight really. I also use leather conditioner and have my car interior detailed once a year.

fisdad 04-17-2014 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 653713)
How are you going to do this? Are you removing the entire dash from the car?
I ask because I really want to get mine re-upholstered. I don't care for dash caps and I really don't like the carpet covers.

My local Gm dealer has one nos tan dash in stock for only $379

sleepyalero 04-17-2014 07:07 PM

My dash has yet to ripple. :)

Redog 04-17-2014 09:41 PM

Yeah I want to see a how-to on this as well :coolio:

mfuller 04-17-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisdad (Post 653739)
My local Gm dealer has one nos tan dash in stock for only $379

Crap.....I may just have to pick that up.
Any way you could PM me their info?

fisdad 04-17-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 653744)
Crap.....I may just have to pick that up.
Any way you could PM me their info?

Done. Yeah I was really tempted to buy and hoard it because my old dash had one little imperfection above the glovebox that nobody could see but me lol

shane3221 04-17-2014 10:47 PM

I will post up a pic after work tomorrow just got off work and its to dark for a decent pic. Just to get your opinions though.... Red on the main dash and black on the tan above the glove box or vise versa? I was kinda leaning towards red for the main dash but unsure of how it would look with my tinted windows.

shane3221 04-18-2014 08:18 AM

Ok so got the dash pics this morning sorry for the quality I'm using my phone.

And for who ever wanted to see the se skirts on sorry cant remember I'm still half asleep lol. Damn I need to do the body work and get her painted. Lol thinking maybe get a few cans of black plasti dip for now just to make every thing match haha. At least I can peel it off when I go off when I go to paint this summer.

shane3221 04-18-2014 08:21 AM

The bad part is I am the only person in my area that has anything at all do e to his bitch. I wish more ppl around here would mod there's. next step is to de badge front bumper and I was thinking of either paying out the ass for a sunroof or working a nice slim roof scoop on and molding it in.

scouseman 04-18-2014 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your dash isn't that bad. I've got a stain on mines all the way across below the windshield. It almost looks like someone wiped it with bleach. It's in a spot that's awkward to work on as well. Someone said to the replace the whole dash, but I'm thinking about trying some interior touch up paint first (http://www.expresspaint.com/). As far as the colors, I would prefer if my Alero dash was tan, like the upholstery of the car. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of paint did you use on yours?

sleepyalero 04-18-2014 02:01 PM

The pics of his dash he removed all the fabric. That's why you think it doesnt look that bad.

As for those SE skirts. Doesnt look terrible honestly. Needs to match the paint though. But I kinda like.