Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   spark plugs? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35206)

Black_Mamba 12-16-2011 07:36 AM

spark plugs?

this morning I wake up to go to work and my service engine light is flashing on and off and the car is running really rough, feels like its misfiring like crazyyy. the ligjht shut off after about 30 seconds and the car went to its regular idle. when I got to work I took out the DTC reader and of course no codes were displayed.

My first thouight is spark plugs & wires. Anyone think different? let me know.

a.graham52 12-16-2011 09:06 AM

when the SES light flashes its due to a "catalyst damaging missfire". my college roomate had busted cats on his truck and every once in a while it would plug the exhaust up and it would run like shit. the SES light would flash thne too. pretty much anything that can cause a bad enough missfire will cause your concern. but seeings how inspecting your wires and plugs is free... id do that first. could also be a bad sensor causing it too. thats why a good code ready may be nessasary. youmight not have a CURRENT code but you should still ahve a history code.

Papa Rad17 12-16-2011 06:13 PM

^what he said.

Black_Mamba 12-17-2011 11:44 AM

It turned out to be the spark plug wires so i ordered new ones, while im at it i might as well get new plugs. Any suggestions for plugs on a 3.4? Im thinking of NGK Ix Iridium's

As for the wires, I ordered 8.5mm wires from MMS

Thewolf 12-17-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Mamba (Post 604105)
It turned out to be the spark plug wires so i ordered new ones, while im at it i might as well get new plugs. Any suggestions for plugs on a 3.4? Im thinking of NGK Ix Iridium's

As for the wires, I ordered 8.5mm wires from MMS

For the NGK Iridium's. I've had those on my 3100 lumina for like 4-5 years and not even a problem! No problems with misfiring or what so ever. It's just when people go the cheap way and buy the "V-power" and the E3 spark plugs they have problems with that.

EDIT: I'm going to do a tune-up on my alero and I bought the NGK Iridium's and the NGK plug wires. I'm not sure how the NGK plug wires will work on the 3400...

Black_Mamba 12-21-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewolf (Post 604121)
For the NGK Iridium's. I've had those on my 3100 lumina for like 4-5 years and not even a problem! No problems with misfiring or what so ever. It's just when people go the cheap way and buy the "V-power" and the E3 spark plugs they have problems with that.

EDIT: I'm going to do a tune-up on my alero and I bought the NGK Iridium's and the NGK plug wires. I'm not sure how the NGK plug wires will work on the 3400...

Let me know how the wires work out. I'm waiting on my 8.5mm wires from Milzy motorsports & I'm putting the plugs in tomorrow

Redog 12-21-2011 06:01 PM

Stock ACDelcos. Everything else I had problems with

Thewolf 12-21-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Mamba (Post 604365)
Let me know how the wires work out. I'm waiting on my 8.5mm wires from Milzy motorsports & I'm putting the plugs in tomorrow

Ok but you'll have to wait until next spring for that response lol. It would of been better if the NGK wires came in red though, blue on a red car does not flow properly lol. :p

Shiwnath 12-21-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewolf (Post 604121)

NGK wires work pretty good. I've had em in my car for 1 1/2 years with no problems. NGK plugs should work flawlessly because they make plugs for AC Delco. IIRC, my plugs were stamped with "NGK", but don 't quote me on that.

Always always always avoid bosch plugs at all costs.. They ran fine in my car for 8 months and then they started causing the worst misfires at idle.

Thewolf 12-21-2011 08:26 PM

I remember having the bosch wires on my lumina, they worked good no misfires or anything. But bosch plugs on the other hand...:lol:

BlackV6 12-25-2011 10:37 AM

I use Rapid Fire # 14 colder for boost

MMGT1 12-25-2011 12:10 PM

Hey black, try autolite 104's next time you get plugs, gap them @ .050" for up to 8lb boost, 45 for up too 12lb and down to 42 tho for boost above that. The 6's seem to really like them in compression applications.

BlackV6 12-28-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 604591)
Hey black, try autolite 104's next time you get plugs, gap them @ .050" for up to 8lb boost, 45 for up too 12lb and down to 42 tho for boost above that. The 6's seem to really like them in compression applications.

Thanks , Ill put that in the notebook !!!