Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2.3 tb (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34818)

zearchyo 09-24-2011 02:31 PM

2.3 tb

okay here is the reason behind my little visit to the junk yard last week. In my visit to two different junkyards, I found a 2.3tb and half of the secret cam combo, 1995 specific cam is a pita to find. so I just bought the tb. To make this short all I want to find is what exactly is it needed to make the tb work properly, so I don’t have to park my car more than its need since this is my dd car and only car. Thanks(I read all the threads dealing with this)

whiterider00 09-24-2011 03:12 PM

nothing is needed really. unless the idle air control valve, and throttle position sensor arent on the new tb, or arent good. those are different from the ones on the 2.4. what i had to do was trim quite a bit off the throttle cable holder (black circular part), and maybe some off of the intake manifold. also, unless you find a 2.3tb with cruise control, youll have to remove or at least tuck away the cc cable. and, the 2.3tb only uses 2 of the mounting bolts. i cant really think of anything else right now.

zearchyo 09-24-2011 03:15 PM

thanks man I was looking for u specifically, do I still have to take the tb apart like u did?

zearchyo 09-24-2011 03:35 PM

found this which it may come useful to some one in the future

zearchyo 09-24-2011 07:37 PM

okay i broke everything apart on the 2.3 tb but when trying to put it all back, i can't seem to make it hold together like it was before i took it apart. i think i broke the tb

whiterider00 09-24-2011 08:51 PM

nah, u really didnt have to take it apart. i was just doing that to see if i could use the body of the 2.3 with all the sensors and such from the 2.4, so it would fit with out modification. there really isnt anything you can break taking it apart, it only fits back together one way. make sure the spring is properly seated when you put the shaft back in. one end should be tucked under a little shelf on the body of the tb, the other tucked under a piece on the cable mounting piece (if anyone knows the technical name for this, id love to know). if its not, the spring will just move around and youll have no resistance or return on the throttle plate. pm me if you have any more ?s

zearchyo 09-24-2011 09:18 PM

well i put it all together with the exception of one piece, i would a take picture but i can seem to find my camera and my phone sucks.

zearchyo 09-26-2011 09:20 PM

okay i got some what of a dumb question here, is there anyway of undoing this plastic clips(what ever they are) without having to cut them off?

whiterider00 09-27-2011 12:22 AM

plastic clips on what? there shouldnt be anything plastic on the tb.

zearchyo 09-27-2011 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry i though i posted the picture.

whiterider00 09-27-2011 05:58 PM

Ooo...those pop right out. Use a flathead, or something to lift up the center part and pull them right out

zearchyo 09-27-2011 06:08 PM

okay.

zearchyo 09-28-2011 05:40 PM

hey am i suppose to use the sensors that came with the 2.3 tb or the ones from the 2.4l. I know the the tps is different but what about the other one bc i found this link from quad4forums that mention something about keeping the 2.4 sensors on the 2.3. but i cant seem to find the link anymore

zearchyo 09-28-2011 06:30 PM

okay ignore the last post, i see it cant be done, they simply dont fit.

zearchyo 09-30-2011 05:23 PM

i think i found a way to retain the cruse control.

zearchyo 10-05-2011 07:28 PM

The 2.3 throttle body swap is finally done after a whole first week wasted due to rain,, mock-ups, extensive thinking, fabrication and some laziness of my part. All that and I was still able to retain my cruse control, even though I never use bc it makes me road sleepy

Badaxe 08-20-2012 12:45 PM

So with enough time gone by, how would you rate the results? Mileage, performance, worth it? I also picked one up when I got the seats earlier this year. Thank goodness for U-Pull-It type junk yards.

zearchyo 08-25-2012 12:25 AM

Sorry I haven’t been in the site in a long while. Now to respond to your question, mileage wasn’t affected in any way, at least not in a negative it way wasn’t. May have gotten better, don’t know (the more efficient the engine breaths the better for fuel). Drivability……. its great now, I can really punch it and it wont choke like it use to on the mid range, where all of the engine’s torque is made at around the 3 and a half to 4 thousand rpm’s. Cruse control can be kept with little modification made to the throttle body wheel. If you’re interested I can make a write up of how I kept the cruse control. Also since then, I have also installed a ram air induction air box out of a 3.4l grand am gt I found in the junkyard. Works great totally worth it to wake up the little engine, I would recommend to any body with a 2.4l dohc engine.

Badaxe 09-04-2012 03:21 PM

Thanks for the update. The upgrade site says to find yourself a 2.3TB because it's bigger, but doesn't clarify the real world benefits. Pics and a write up sound ideal for the DIY section if the powers that be allow. Again thanks for the advise.