Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wheel speed sensor issues (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30683)

AndyT3 03-03-2010 07:48 PM

Wheel speed sensor issues

Hi everyone! So a few days ago, I came out of school and got into my car to leave. As I started it and let it warm up for about a minute before leaving, I noticed the Low Trac light would flash up for a few seconds, then go back out. I just ignored it thinking that it was something with the snow build up around the inners of the wheel. Well, after pulling out of school and driving for about 4 minutes, I got the Low Trac, Trac Off, and Service Vehicle Soon lights. At this point, whenever I turned the wheel the slightest bit to the right, I would hear this noise. Its hard to describe, but its almost like a clicking, and grinding noise, but the grinding is very very soft. Anyway, I called my dad at work and had him bring home the Tech 2 and we checked the codes. It came back with excessive wheel speed variation and wheel speed sensor open or short; both from the right front. This instantly made me think hub because of the noise associated with the codes. My dad then jacked up the front end and checked both wheels and both were tight, there was no up & down or side to side play in either wheel, so he said its not priority, and not to worry about it until it gets bad. Well, me not having my Traction Control or ABS in the winter is bad enough for me, just because I'm so used to it, so I want to get on the ball about fixing that hub.

I just want to confirm that this is a hub issue and not a CV issue or something else in the front end.

Thanks! ;)

jayson_waltz 03-03-2010 07:53 PM

either the speed sensor is out (hub needing replacing) or the wire is broke. RF obviously. Thats the same codes the tech 2 told me when i had to replace my hub.

AndyT3 03-03-2010 08:01 PM

Ok, and about how much did you pay for that hub? Did you get another ACDelco, or what brand?

TdotAlero 03-03-2010 08:26 PM

I paid about $50 for some cheap aftermarket hub and have no problems yet (but I might just be the lucky one).

AndyT3 03-03-2010 08:31 PM

Yeah, well my dad works at a Chevy dealership and is a GM master certified tech, so hes all about going OEM or ACDelco, so thats most likely what I'm going to end up getting, half off of course =]. But still, I wanted opinions so thanks!

gerry 03-04-2010 10:08 AM

Mine has the same issue but no grinding noise. Grinding usually means its the bearings.

I'd like to check the sensor on mine. Does anyone know if you have to take everything apart to get at it?

Ryan from Ohio 03-04-2010 10:12 AM

Wheel bearings.

Get SKF or Timken branded ones.

SKF = 2 year warranty

Timken = 1 year warranty

Price is about the same for both, $130 ish I believe.

AndyT3 03-04-2010 10:55 AM

Oh, thats not bad at all. Can I have him order it from the dealership? Or should I go to the local part place?

Nate's Alero 03-04-2010 10:56 AM

local part place, National Bearings are also great... have a National and a Timken, both 1 year.. both same price..

AndyT3 03-04-2010 10:57 AM

Hmm, well whats the ACDelco hub go for?

Ryan from Ohio 03-04-2010 10:58 AM

I would highly advise the SKF for the warranty.

Many people have put on new bearings only to have them fail quickly.

These are things your REALLY want a good warranty on.

I went through a set and 1 extra Chinese junk bearings before buying the SKF. The china bearings were two for the price of 1 SKF... But when they fail within months what value is there?

Nate's Alero 03-04-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyT3 (Post 529821)
Hmm, well whats the ACDelco hub go for?

i don't think they make one? i know when Mike (zoL) had his done, i looked and the replacement bearing from the dealer is a Timken....so dunno

AndyT3 03-04-2010 11:02 AM

Oh, good well then I'll just go with one of those then. Or when my dads texts me today I'll see what the choices are from that peticular dealership.

Nate's Alero 03-04-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyT3 (Post 529825)
Oh, good well then I'll just go with one of those then. Or when my dads texts me today I'll see what the choices are from that peticular dealership.

cool, let me know how it goes, btw, i recommend doing both front ones at the same time, if one goes, the other one is not far off, learned that the hard way

AndyT3 03-04-2010 11:06 AM

Yeah, well. I don't have that kind of money right now unfortunately.

AutoZone

This isn't that bad, for a hub. If he cant get me a Timken hub cheaper, then I'll just get them from AutoZone.

Nate's Alero 03-04-2010 11:08 AM

you'll get a shock then, in a week the demon lights will be back... i should know.. :-D

AndyT3 03-04-2010 11:20 AM

Well, so be it. And in a week I'll have another check in the bank, so I'll be able to afford it.

jayson_waltz 03-04-2010 11:28 AM

i also put on a cheap ebay hub, that was over a year ago and it still works fine.

AndyT3 03-04-2010 11:33 AM

Hmm, I just rather put the extra money into it and just let it be. And besides my dad always bitches anytime he has to work on my car so I just rather just get the better stuff.

IRONDOG442 03-04-2010 11:41 AM

check page 2