Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help! Clear coat pealing! (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32109)

cavaliers60 08-17-2010 08:29 PM

Help! Clear coat pealing!

Noticed a few weeks ago that my clear coat is pealing off the spoiler. I would like to keep it because I really don't want holes in my trunk... Is there a way to fix this? It's just the clear coat coming off. Just not sure if spraying clear coat on it would fix it, or if there is something else I need to do to it first...

JLw7123 08-17-2010 08:38 PM

i have the same problem

cavaliers60 08-17-2010 08:48 PM

yeah, it's not a MAJOR issue, but I just don't like looking at it... Especially when I can see it in my rear view mirror. :cry:

jhubbz 08-17-2010 08:55 PM

1. Clean area off really well
2. Maybe wet sand the area with a very mild abrasive 800-1000
3. Clean area off well again
4. Spray a few coats of clear. I would just use Duplicolor perfect match protective clear coat finish.
5. Go drink a beer 'cuz you've worked hard and deserve it.
6. Let the shit dry!
7. Wet sand using high-grit, most likely 2000
8. Use some sort of rubbing compound. I use Zaino PC-fusion. Another example would be 3M rubbing compound, but I'm sure there are tons more out there.
9. Repeat rubbing compound process a few times while drinking more beer.
10. Polish it off with wax or whatever you like to use
11. Enjoy your shiny new spot!

widbyj 08-17-2010 08:57 PM

^^^ Like he said...

It all depends upon how long you want it to last and how much you want to spend...

Quick fix: Chip away the loose stuff (clear flakes), lightly sand around the edges and give it a couple coats of clear in a can.

In Between: see above ^^^

Better: Remove spoiler from car, sand it all smooth, repaint with color, wet sand, clear coat, buff, polish, re-install (shorthand version).

Might as well try the easy way first cause if you later decide to do anything else it won't make it any worse (from a painters point of view)

pimpalero2003 08-17-2010 10:09 PM

What he said will make it look better but throw alot of clear on then wetsand up to like 2500 then rubbing compound then polish wax. It will be off but if take your time can get it close the orange peel from wing to trunk will be different no matter what but shouldn't really be noticeable

tunerkid 08-17-2010 10:23 PM

that's why i swapped my trunk lid with a 99' alero's. no spoiler

cavaliers60 08-17-2010 10:25 PM

how many layers of clear should I spray on the area? I would think 4-5.... Sounds like I got a weekend project ahead of me in a few weeks. LOL Can't get to it right now.... Lack of funds at the moment.

Redog 08-18-2010 03:23 AM

Would this work with swirl marks? That's what's wrong with mine

pimpalero2003 08-18-2010 03:46 AM

4-5 should be good. Swirls just get a buffer and some swirl mark remover.

jhubbz 08-18-2010 07:55 AM

yea, if you have any deep swirls, just spritz some water on the area before applying the swirl remover. it just gives it a deeper cut. I had some AWESOME results using PC-fusion on my mom's sunfire. She doesn't ever clean it, so its always dirty and had tons of swirls :(

cavaliers60 08-18-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhubbz (Post 552917)
yea, if you have any deep swirls, just spritz some water on the area before applying the swirl remover. it just gives it a deeper cut. I had some AWESOME results using PC-fusion on my mom's sunfire. She doesn't ever clean it, so its always dirty and had tons of swirls :(

That stuff is amazing! I've used it a couple times... My car has major swirl marks though since I haven't really been able to wash her much this year... Mainly on the hood... I'll be doing this clear coat fix soon. If no one else does it before me, I'll try to take some pictures and post up how I did it and how it turned out.

I also need to figure out how to get scratches off my car... I got a lot on my trunk from f'ing birds....

pimpalero2003 08-18-2010 01:29 PM

I've done it on some pieces before but didn't take pics/steps or polished it afterwards

pimpalero2003 08-18-2010 01:36 PM

Also depending on the spray paint you use be sure to wait before sanding/ polishing/waxing it. Some take a while to totally harden. And if posb find something with a uv protect in it. If not make sure to keep that wing waxed constley let the wax take the uv otherwise the clear will start to yellow

cavaliers60 08-18-2010 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm pretty confident now that I'll be able to get this done with no issues. :)

jhubbz 08-18-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavaliers60 (Post 552926)
I also need to figure out how to get scratches off my car... I got a lot on my trunk from f'ing birds....

Slap some spackle in there. Also, nothin any bondo won't fix.

Seriously tho... I believe duplicolor makes a sandable filler primer. I don't know how well it works, but it's an option.

Although you might be better off layering out the area by using different grade sandpapers, similar to that of feathering out drywall mud. Then possible primer coat followed by some coats of paint then finally clear coat and wet-sanding/ polishing.

Either way I don't think there is any easy fix for scratches besides rhino-lining your entire car.

cavaliers60 08-18-2010 03:33 PM

lmao. That's so awesome! :emotlol: I think I would be banned from here if I did that to my Alero...

Oldsnut 08-18-2010 04:13 PM

That poor Audi.

whiterider00 08-18-2010 11:15 PM

he even did the effing wheels...awesome!

Cliff8928 08-20-2010 02:38 AM

<insert "sandy vag" joke here>