Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   exhaust (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26907)

nixon 04-21-2009 09:01 PM

exhaust

Im planning on chopping off the resonator but got a question or 2. First I have a Ractive straight through muffler on right now, with the res off I wont loose to much back pressure would i? or is that a dumb question?

As well will it make it retardedly loud with a straight through muffler?

dhurst765 04-21-2009 09:02 PM

ive got all stock piping on mine to a 2.5 in inlet to a 4 in outlet straight thru muffler and its not to loud

[ion] C2 04-21-2009 09:11 PM

Yes it will sound pretty gay with a fart can and no resonator. Why do you want to do that anyway?

dhurst765 04-21-2009 09:21 PM

gee thanks that is what i got but i also have the eco

Caboose73 04-21-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhurst765 (Post 455632)
gee thanks that is what i got but i also have the eco

well you still have a resonator so your fart can doesnt sound as bad as his will

dhurst765 04-21-2009 09:30 PM

now what about if i hae a custom catback ade would it sound different

Misuseofyou 04-21-2009 09:55 PM

Ecotec with a fart can, wow. That would blow any honda out of the water as far as sounding like shit goes.

Heres an ecotec sound clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kPRp6xZak

nixon 04-21-2009 10:23 PM

haha come on now, my car doesnt sound THAT bad...so it's just going to sound worse then without the res on it?

Spilner521 04-24-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nixon (Post 455619)
with the res off I wont loose to much back pressure would i? or is that a dumb question?

I'll be honest with you...

Yes, that's a dumb question. The stock resonator is pretty restrictive, so yes, if you remove it, you will lose backpressure. But that's a good thing. You don't want any backpressure in an exhaust system.

It will be pretty loud with all stock piping, no resonator, and a straight through muffler. If you don't want to do the whole exhaust, I would maybe get a 2" straight through resonator to put in place of the stock one you remove. That would somewhat keep the noise down a little.

nixon 04-26-2009 02:42 PM

hmm good to know but correct me if im wrong...and to this may be totally different when dealing witha v8 but i know in my dodge dakota R/T that if too much back pressure is released then you loose a lot of the low end torque. would this not apply to my car as well??

oh and im getting rid of the muffler i got pulled over on thursday for a "illegal" muffler and 110 dollar fine haha so thats going and im trying to find a nice magnaflow but all of them are straight throughs

[ion] C2 04-26-2009 02:44 PM

LOL the typical backpressure myth...

Sure, if you cut off the entire exhaust it's going to run like crap and have little torque, and it will have zero "back pressure" but that's not why it's bad. It's all about exhaust VELOCITY. The velocity of the moving air aids in pulling the combustion gases out of the cylinder head.

nixon 04-26-2009 02:50 PM

ah so its not really true that it affects the torque then eh? and what muffler would anyone recommend with the resonator removed, if i got pulled over as is definitely not sticking with straight through or at least a ractive straight through

Caboose73 04-26-2009 03:08 PM

get a dynomax super turbo i know it sounds good on the LD9 so it should be fine on the eco

nixon 04-26-2009 07:22 PM

well thats good cause I have the LD9 haha. does the super turbo have baffles in it? because i thought if it had baffles on a 4 cyc it would make it sound...hows a way to explain it...like a tiny can or something...

Caboose73 04-26-2009 07:42 PM

o haha no clue about the baffles but i know it sounds good on me and Ions cars and ive never herd anyone say they sounded bad

nixon 04-26-2009 07:52 PM

hmm alright well i'll give that one a shot, guess i might as well just run all new piping from the cat all the way back too haha

heineck 04-26-2009 09:16 PM

a Dynomax on an eco sounds fine, nice tone, not too deep but not ricey at all and definentily do it up with a catback. 2.5 worked fine for me

AbHeLlRaZoR 04-26-2009 11:50 PM

just get a 2.25" custom cat back with a Magnaflow muffler it doesn't get any better than that for a start on a exhaust system... well in my mind.

PappaSmurf 04-27-2009 04:17 AM

Nixon,
If you want a bad-as% sounding exhaust system, that you can build upon (once piece at a time) like me than I suggest getting yourself a Magnaflow 14816 StreetSeries Muffler to start out with. This is what I did (bought it from alerosaint here on the forums) and I LOVE the sound! Not to loud and obnoxiuos like most hondas with fart cans, but definitely an attention getter. I have had the muffler on for a week and a half and my wife has had to remind me to back me down from a couple of challenges, mostly because my son was in the back seat. NOT street racing, we have open races here at BAMA Dragway (local drag strip) on Saturdays, where it is LEGAL to "see what ya got". I plan to get the highflow catalytic converter from Magnaflow and put it where the stock resonator is, then 2.5" piping to the muffler. I think that you will be amazed at the sound it gives you. NICE deep tone on the lower RPMs yet it's quiet once you hit the higher RPMs, unlike the "bumble bees in a coffee can."
-Smurf-

P.S. Call me sometime and I would be more than happy to let you hear it. PM me for my number.

Alerosaint 04-27-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nixon (Post 457077)
well thats good cause I have the LD9 haha. does the super turbo have baffles in it? because i thought if it had baffles on a 4 cyc it would make it sound...hows a way to explain it...like a tiny can or something...

Go to dynomax website, the have information about their technology and diagrams of inside the muffler