Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Push Button Ignition... (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10743)

cherrington17 01-09-2006 07:31 AM

has anyone ever installed a push button ignition, where, how?

where did you get the stuff....

its something i've wondered about getting... but if its problematic, forget it.

Thanks

b-spot 01-09-2006 12:43 PM

Mount the remote for your remote starter in your dash :lol:

cherrington17 01-09-2006 12:45 PM

interesting rendition.... but... nah. :lol:

2fst4u 01-09-2006 12:49 PM

you should wire the hazard light for ignition. then but an alternate button in for the hazards. that would be sweet. i doubt it would be very hard either. maybe i'll look into it.

cherrington17 01-09-2006 04:39 PM

thats what i was thinking about.... lol

it'd be easy to access.... i'd just pull the switch out and clean the hazard symbol off of it.

i just want to know HOW to do it. and if anyone who has done it has problems with it...

if its a major PITA mod, after installed, then i won't bother.

cherrington17 01-09-2006 05:11 PM

i found these...

how to... http://www.lildevilmotorsports.com/instruc...ec8f1a29a483d0a

and switches... ($40-$80?) :wtf:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/IGNITED_...NAL_p_3866.html
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx?p...bcategoryID=194

(i pirated redog's shifter boot pic here...)

since i don't have an ets button, i think a little momentary push button right below the shifter would make for a nice ignition spot. maybe i'll swing my RadioShack this weekend and see what they have along those lines.... :biggrin:

eag182 01-09-2006 06:59 PM

Push button, the ultimate lazyness. I say go for it!

jamcllw 01-09-2006 11:14 PM

Go to autozone a simple push button is about $5. Wire it in. Your still going to have to have your key in the ignition or your going to run into issues with the Passlock system. The only reason you would need to do this on a daily driven car is if the ingition switch went bad and you needed a cheap quick fix.

smlzalero 01-09-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2fst4u@Jan 9 2006, 11:49 AM
you should wire the hazard light for ignition.

beat me to it... well, you both did.

Or if you wanted to make more work for yourself, you could put it where the key ignition is now.

you know you just want to feel like you're starting the batmobile :P

jackal2000 01-10-2006 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jamcllw@Jan 9 2006, 11:14 PM
Go to autozone a simple push button is about $5. Wire it in. Your still going to have to have your key in the ignition or your going to run into issues with the Passlock system. The only reason you would need to do this on a daily driven car is if the ingition switch went bad and you needed a cheap quick fix.

this guy knows his sh!t

cherrington17 01-10-2006 08:46 AM

i'm not looking to get rid of the key all together... just add a little more flair to the car. if you were going to wire a switch where the hazard is, i'd use a piezo switch. (expensive, but effective for ignitions)

the more i think about it, the more i don't want to do it. so far all my mods are removable, when the event of my graduation comes around, i won't be able to spend any more on this. and something like that is just asking for problems.... :(

brim 01-10-2006 11:52 AM

I was in an accident and have sticks for fingers making turning the key a 45 minute job, this looks like a good alternate

brim 01-10-2006 11:54 AM

and on a more related note, I used to have a customer with an old Ford (E150...) Van, his cylinder quit and he used the push button as an alternate.

Newer cars you have to deal with the passlock, theftlock, etc... to gain access, older cars you could have wired up without the key if you wanted

slowandlow 01-17-2006 12:14 AM

my brother in law just got a masda speed 6 and hsi has a remote and no key but you have to turn tcar but you just dont need a key. he switch like a normal

i have remote start on mine and no problems i have a 01

Spilner521 01-25-2006 04:06 AM

i was thinking about this too....but instead of having a key and a button, setting it up like the new lexus'....there's no key just a key fob and when you get in the car, the car senses that the fob is somewhere inside, then you have to push the brake and push the start button to start the car. it'd be hard to set up....but would definitely be a nice touch. also, on those cars all you have to do is walk up to the door, not touching anything or any buttons, and it senses the fob and unlocks the door for you. they're pretty nice.

doubleN0alero 01-25-2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spilner521@Jan 25 2006, 05:06 AM
i was thinking about this too....but instead of having a key and a button, setting it up like the new lexus'....there's no key just a key fob and when you get in the car, the car senses that the fob is somewhere inside, then you have to push the brake and push the start button to start the car. it'd be hard to set up....but would definitely be a nice touch. also, on those cars all you have to do is walk up to the door, not touching anything or any buttons, and it senses the fob and unlocks the door for you. they're pretty nice.

The Cadillac STS is the same way. You dont hav eto unlock anything...when you're walking towards the car, it will open the doors..then you just get in and push the button and drive. I think you may have to lock it when you walk away, but I'm not sure. I think that sort of deal is doing nothing more than making people lazy and its only a matter of time that people start losing that fob or locking their keys in the car etc. I mean now you grab your keys cause you need them to get in your car and start it...but what about when you just "think" that your car knows you and just unlocks.

cherrington17 01-25-2006 12:21 PM

i've actually seen those systems in action. its pretty sweet.

and you can't lock your keys in the car. if you leave the keyfob in there (its attatched to the key) the doors will NOT lock, because it senses the key in the vehicle. same deal with the trunk.

Spilner521 01-25-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cherrington17@Jan 25 2006, 12:21 PM
i've actually seen those systems in action. its pretty sweet.

and you can't lock your keys in the car. if you leave the keyfob in there (its attatched to the key) the doors will NOT lock, because it senses the key in the vehicle. same deal with the trunk.

exactly..the car ends up being smarter than you :thumb: it'd be nice to come up with a way to make this work on our cars. i've been looking into it for a little while, but nothing yet.

cherrington17 01-26-2006 11:12 AM

i'm guessing the system alone would require you to rewire nearly everything in the front end dash area, and trunk. by push button ignition, i didn't mean that high end.... thats too much work.

if you want that, save yourself the time and frustration and buy a acrura/caddy/bmw..etc.

cherrington17 02-27-2007 05:37 PM

ressurecting an old-y here. any one willing to figure out how to do a complete keyless system? the method i'm thinking of, would require:
-a 3 position rotary switch. Off-Acc-Batt
-a momentary toggle (with a saftey cover) for the ignition
- hidden killswitch (so some honkey couldn't just swipe your ride)

the first one i'm having trouble finding....

I know the passlock would require a resistor inline with the ignition... but how do you go about doing a complete keyless method? (i'd leave the key cylinder there.... just for the hilarity of someone trying to steal my keys)