Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Paint and Body Work (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Carbon Fiber Question (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29075)

bkathsalero 10-13-2009 12:00 PM

Carbon Fiber Question

So here's my dilema. I'm doing the carbon fiber GA front end swap as many are aware. The kit will only match the aed alero rear kit. And I'm having a hell of a time getting the rear bumper. So after comparing the alero bumper to the ga bumper I see that the only difference is the trunk lip. Meaning I could buy a Ga rear bumper (CF) and cut the trunk lip to fit the alero. My question is does anyone know if you cn cut carbon fiber and keep a clean look? I'm guessing not. So I migt be stuck with buying the matching kit in non-CF. That way I can cut and mud it to look good. Any ideas?

worknprog.99 10-13-2009 12:24 PM

my idea.... buy a grand am. or trade someone with one evenly since aleros are better they would be stupid not to take the trade

alerored04 10-13-2009 12:43 PM

You're joking right? They are the same damn car mechanically, how can one be better than the other?

bkathsalero 10-13-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worknprog.99 (Post 500982)
my idea.... buy a grand am. or trade someone with one evenly since aleros are better they would be stupid not to take the trade

I already have to grand am's in my driveway, a 01 gt and a 02 se

And what makes an alero a better car than a grand am? are the Panels somehow bent better? There the same car

bkathsalero 10-13-2009 12:50 PM

I'm starting to not understand this site. It's called aleroMOD. But it seems if anyone ever trys to do something out of the norm they will be harrased for it or talked out of it. What happened to the custom world of making your car a one-off, no replica, no bolt on's? Just hard work and idea's? It seems alot of people rip on a ga swap. More power to you if you don't like it, but it's not your car. I'm sorry that I don't want to drive down the road with my AAS kit on and see another alero and have regrets that my car is the same. Vise versa with the GA kits. Why not try and make something no one has ever seen before? Explore new boundaries in the n-body world. Apparently if this mod is not favorable to anyone, I won't post about it. It will be my little secret then.

Silentalero 10-13-2009 12:59 PM

Ok cutting cf can be done but if your molding off the cf weave the only way you can do it and keep a semi decent look it to either relay cf over your molding, or you can try spraying it black or paint portions of the bumper and kinda make it into a design where the cf is an accent rather than the main attraction in the bumper.

JLw7123 10-13-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkathsalero (Post 500990)
I'm starting to not understand this site. It's called aleroMOD. But it seems if anyone ever trys to do something out of the norm they will be harrased for it or talked out of it. What happened to the custom world of making your car a one-off, no replica, no bolt on's? Just hard work and idea's? It seems alot of people rip on a ga swap. More power to you if you don't like it, but it's not your car. I'm sorry that I don't want to drive down the road with my AAS kit on and see another alero and have regrets that my car is the same. Vise versa with the GA kits. Why not try and make something no one has ever seen before? Explore new boundaries in the n-body world. Apparently if this mod is not favorable to anyone, I won't post about it. It will be my little secret then.

I like custom because there is not a car that will look like yours around. I like the grand am swap idea. go for it

worknprog.99 10-13-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alerored04 (Post 500987)
You're joking right? They are the same damn car mechanically, how can one be better than the other?

no in fact im dead serious. the interior design of the alero is nicer, i have seen maybe 4 leather grand ams... they have ugly ass dash boards... and the side trim panels on the doors are hideous... so the fact the chasis and motors are the same evverything else on an alero is better

bkathsalero 10-13-2009 02:06 PM

hmmm sounds like an opinion

02AleroEco 10-13-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkathsalero (Post 500990)

No one said modding is dumb.. but seriously dude, why make you car look like something its not. in the end its just an alero, changing panels wont make it anything other than just that.
if i could fullout mod my alero i would.. but its not in my agenda.
Modding is awesome, and its great to do gives you that creativity edge.
but still its an alero not a ga. just drive that 01gt if you want the ga.

JLw7123 10-13-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkathsalero (Post 500972)
So here's my dilema. I'm doing the carbon fiber GA front end swap as many are aware. The kit will only match the aed alero rear kit. And I'm having a hell of a time getting the rear bumper. So after comparing the alero bumper to the ga bumper I see that the only difference is the trunk lip. Meaning I could buy a Ga rear bumper (CF) and cut the trunk lip to fit the alero. My question is does anyone know if you cn cut carbon fiber and keep a clean look? I'm guessing not. So I migt be stuck with buying the matching kit in non-CF. That way I can cut and mud it to look good. Any ideas?

Let him do what he wants it's his car he just asked a simple question.

02AleroEco 10-13-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLw7123 (Post 501019)
Let him do what he wants it's his car he just asked a simple question.

Didnt tell him not too.
im agreeing with others opinions thats all

JLw7123 10-13-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02AleroEco (Post 501036)
Didnt tell him not too.
im agreeing with others opinions thats all

ok sorry

bkathsalero 10-13-2009 02:38 PM

still people don't get what I'm trying to say, I KNOW IT AN ALERO!! :lol:

[ion] C2 10-13-2009 02:47 PM

It's like the Ferrari or Lambo modded Cavaliers/Sunfires, super gay. Custom work is cool, but not when you make entire front/rear ends look like another car. Do it custom, make a custom front end, different bumper/fenders/hood... but not the same kind for another car.

02AleroEco 10-13-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 501051)
It's like the Ferrari or Lambo modded Cavaliers/Sunfires, super gay. Custom work is cool, but not when you make entire front/rear ends look like another car. Do it custom, make a custom front end, different bumper/fenders/hood... but not the same kind for another car.

this is what i was trying to get at.

lonnie 10-13-2009 03:45 PM

Apparently the secret has been let out of the bag....I think its a waste of a perfectly good grand am bumper. The proof is in the proverbial pudding so to speak.

Can't wait to see how this goes!!

bdyman 10-13-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkathsalero (Post 500988)
And what makes an alero a better car than a grand am? are the Panels somehow bent better? There the same car

wow!! didnt know bending a panle makes it "better"

[ion] C2 10-13-2009 04:39 PM

that's his point :)

alerored04 10-13-2009 04:54 PM

bkath that comment was not directed at you. I think you should go through with it. I was just questioning the logic of the other guy who said that anyone would trade a ga for an alero because alero's are better.