Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wtf Its A New Redtop (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28064)

AleroDrime 07-24-2009 11:29 AM

Wtf Its A New Redtop

its like a month and half old and its died twice in the past to days
Wednesday morning it got parked a 2 am in front of the house, everything off, an key wernt in it, On thursday its dead reading 7.2 volts. This morning same thing.

Nothings on, what could be doing that to a big redtop, it cant be bad already could it.

the only thing i can think of is my capacitor, it usualy stays on for a bit after the doors are shut and reads 11.8 when the cars off

AGT 07-24-2009 11:54 AM

Does your cap remote wire not run to a radio fuse or an intermitant power?

AleroDrime 07-24-2009 11:57 AM

hmm the capacitor didnt have a remote wire,

the last battery went bad
till now have had no issues with this battery but the car hasnt sat for 24 hrs b4 with the new battery in it

Ryan from Ohio 07-24-2009 12:03 PM

Un hook your system and try again.

Is your amp turning off when the cars off? lol

If your last battery mysteriously died and now your Red top died twice (meaning you got another new battery) then something is wrong.

AGT 07-24-2009 12:04 PM

So the cap is constantly on no matter? Thats crazy. It should turn off like the amps do.

EDIT: Ryan is here. He knows car audio and if he can't help then you are screwed haha

AleroDrime 07-24-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio (Post 481039)
Un hook your system and try again.

Is your amp turning off when the cars off? lol

If your last battery mysteriously died and now your Red top died twice (meaning you got another new battery) then something is wrong.

thats what im thinking and yes the amp is turning off, it was on the led's would be on

i guess theres a .000000000000000000000000000001% chance the redtop is a lemon

ryan r capacitors supposed to have a remote wire, this one is an American Accessory 1F

lonnie 07-24-2009 12:25 PM

A Cap doesn't turn on or off unless you have something rigged up to do that. The only thing on the cap that should be doing that is the voltage display circuitry, which should be on some type of voltage sensing circuit to turn it on when the car is started. The display on the cap should then go off after a period of time. At least that's how mine works... So just because you see a voltage on the cap doesn't mean that it is passing current to the amp. And there should be no remote wire going to the cap. The cap will be hot (meaning voltage across the post) all the time when the amp isn't on there is no current flow...now if you have the remote wire on the cap then you could be causing you amp to stay on even though the car is off which could be killing your battery over time. Just my two cents! Hope you figure this out...it will be interesting to know what is causing this.

Ryan from Ohio 07-24-2009 12:28 PM

A capacitor will only draw current when something down line from it is drawing current.

It could be the cap if the cap is going bad.

Did you get a second red top or after the first death just recharge it? If it went down to low its probably junk now.

Warranty return it and disconnect the radio for a day or two. Then reconnect it. However keep going out to the car every 2 hours with a DMM and check voltage.

AleroDrime 07-24-2009 12:29 PM

i dunno ive checked things light the light in the glovebox and trunk the best i could, they seem to be going off, other then that the headlights are always on auto and the interior was deffenitly on door

AleroDrime 07-24-2009 12:31 PM

i put the redtop on a 25 amp charge are you, i know yellowtops are made to be rundown over and over again but are you telling me the redtop cant handledying once

lonnie 07-24-2009 12:35 PM

You could take the amp and cap off the battery for a day or to to see if the battery holds a charge!

worknprog.99 07-24-2009 12:45 PM

heres the common sense way to diognose... unhook all the after market stuff... if the battery holds charge then you know you did it... if it still dies then you know its something else

AGT 07-24-2009 12:45 PM

I have a remote to my cap. It runs perfect and have never had power drains. I run a yellow top

EDIT: I just realized what they are for....My remotes are power outputs for my Orions

AleroDrime 07-24-2009 12:49 PM

i guess i could do that disconnecting the power cable to the amp, that means the only aftermarket thing would be the headunit which is tapped the the sunroof fuse and goes off when the keys off

lonnie 07-24-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worknprog.99 (Post 481052)
heres the common sense way to diognose... unhook all the after market stuff... if the battery holds charge then you know you did it... if it still dies then you know its something else

It took you 15mins to come up with what I already said....LOL:lol: :jk:

jayson_waltz 07-24-2009 01:12 PM

that has happened to me a couple times, it was my cap not shutting off. my cap, and from the sounds of things yours too, aotuomatically shuts off when no draw is present and turns on when there is, there is no remote wire unfourtunately.

worknprog.99 07-24-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie (Post 481064)
It took you 15mins to come up with what I already said....LOL:lol: :jk:

no lol i got it the first time lol.. just he kept talking and no action so i had to reiderate what you said multiple times just more straight forward haha

lonnie 07-24-2009 01:32 PM

There is no on \ off switch on a capacitor...if they did that then everytime you started the car you would be shocking the capacitor with a 12volts which could cause it to burst open..explode...etc, that's why we charge caps with a resistor before instaling into the system. The caps that do have a remote wire that run to them are simply for turning the voltage meter on on the cap. Other caps have a voltage sensing circuit that turns the voltage meter on at certain levels of voltage and off at other levels.

lonnie 07-24-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worknprog.99 (Post 481067)
no lol i got it the first time lol.. just he kept talking and no action so i had to reiderate what you said multiple times just more straight forward haha

:lol: :lol:

AGT 07-24-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie (Post 481068)
...The caps that do have a remote wire that run to them are simply for turning the voltage meter on on the cap. Other caps have a voltage sensing circuit that turns the voltage meter on at certain levels of voltage and off at other levels.

and for telling the amps to turn on :)