Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Air Intake (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36375)

Newlin 09-15-2012 06:36 PM

Air Intake

I just wanted to make sure this was compatible with my Alero before I went ahead and ordered it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-99-05-G...62e4a8&vxp=mtr

colonel6632 09-15-2012 06:50 PM

no. says its for a v6 in the title

sleepyalero 09-15-2012 06:56 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PONTIAC-GRAN...7aebed&vxp=mtr

Newlin 09-15-2012 06:57 PM

Thank you much :)

sleepyalero 09-15-2012 07:12 PM

no problem.

Newlin 10-04-2012 01:33 PM

Is this the K&N filter that would fit the intake?

http://www.amazon.com/RF-1042-Univer...26n+air+filter

sleepyalero 10-04-2012 02:11 PM

you gotta get one that has the same diamter inlet to fit on your intake. best idea to do is just go to an auto store.

Redog 10-04-2012 04:59 PM

If you want a K&N filter, wait until you get the intake, then measure the intake piping and the size of the filter (height) and buy a K&N from those measurments.

You'll want to install the intake and see if maybe you can get slightly larger, but I would probably just buy one of equal size

Newlin 10-05-2012 06:31 PM

That makes a lot of sense...I feel slightly less intelligent now :) It should be here today but I haven't made it home yet.

Thanks

Nas Escobar 10-07-2012 08:25 AM

You should have gotten a coupler to get rid of the silencer that is on the TB

Newlin 10-07-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nas Escobar (Post 625841)
You should have gotten a coupler to get rid of the silencer that is on the TB

Explain?

Math-u 10-07-2012 11:20 PM

@_@.....the black lookin box right infront of the engine.

Newlin 10-09-2012 10:19 AM

Can those be easily found separately from the intake? I'm searching around ebay a bit and it doesn't seem like they are. Either that or I'm dense,very possible.

@mgaw23 10-09-2012 07:29 PM

i have this same cold air and it works very good and yes a k&n filter is easy to find

Papa Rad17 10-10-2012 09:22 PM

Thats a warm air intake. it will help but if you really want to make a difference pipe it all the way down. and about the best thing you can do for the 2.2 is take off that damn black box right on top of the throttle body, its extremely restrictive. I got an ebay intake then a elbow piece from autozone to make mine.
also, about any intake for the 2.2 will work, doesnt HAVE to be alero specific. as long as it looks about like whats in the pic.

Newlin 10-10-2012 11:46 PM

I've got the basic intake in, it just looks like I may have to do what you did and grab an elbow piece to get rid of the black box there. It looks like you just got a 90 degree elbow and fastened that directly to the ebay intake? If so this should be relatively easy. I think there are two additional sensors that go into it though. I assume I'd have to drill out holes for those.

I haven't looked at it real closely but is there a how-to on removing that? I haven't come across any yet.

03glgold 10-10-2012 11:54 PM

i don't think any sensors, there is a vacuum hose and the pcv hose which you could do as he did for the pcv port and put the little filter on it all that is for is to release some of the pressure from under the valve cover

RalphP 10-11-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03glgold (Post 625955)
i don't think any sensors, there is a vacuum hose and the pcv hose which you could do as he did for the pcv port and put the little filter on it all that is for is to release some of the pressure from under the valve cover

There's three things wrong with that.

1) It's the INTAKE for the PCV system. The PCV valve is what releases the pressure (as it sucks the fumes into the intake).

2) By not piping it in behind the MAF, you've introduced an unknown amount of air into the intake, thereby bleeding in air that the ECU doesn't know about (didn't go past the MAF), thereby potentially causing performance issues.

3) That is STILL a warm air intake, being as how the intake sucks the hot air off then engine instead of the cooler air under the fender.

But eh. Whatever floats your boat.

I'd PERSONALLY opt for removing the silencer under the fender (it's there to help quiet the sound), and use a high quality panel filter. Besides, are you SURE that THAT'S the restriction? I mean, there's some cars that run a whopping 1 to 2 HP by swapping to a cold air intake .. which *ahem* is within the tolerancing for a back to back pair of dyno pulls.

RwP

Papa Rad17 10-11-2012 09:39 AM

Ya. Just a 90 degree elbow. I made a hole in the rubber coupling, then culked around it for the little air hose. The then put a breather on the valve cover so there was no extra hose.

03glgold 10-11-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphP (Post 625971)
There's three things wrong with that.

1) It's the INTAKE for the PCV system. The PCV valve is what releases the pressure (as it sucks the fumes into the intake).

2) By not piping it in behind the MAF, you've introduced an unknown amount of air into the intake, thereby bleeding in air that the ECU doesn't know about (didn't go past the MAF), thereby potentially causing performance issues.

3) That is STILL a warm air intake, being as how the intake sucks the hot air off then engine instead of the cooler air under the fender.

But eh. Whatever floats your boat.

I'd PERSONALLY opt for removing the silencer under the fender (it's there to help quiet the sound), and use a high quality panel filter. Besides, are you SURE that THAT'S the restriction? I mean, there's some cars that run a whopping 1 to 2 HP by swapping to a cold air intake .. which *ahem* is within the tolerancing for a back to back pair of dyno pulls.

RwP

ecotec doesn't have a MAF so you can delete that from your list of issues, nobody said it wasn't warm air intake