Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   cai install (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34231)

a.graham52 06-10-2011 12:10 PM

cai install

iv got a cai kit coming tonight in the mail from ebay but all my tools are at work. can anyone tell me what i need to install and whats going to have to be done to the car (assuming hte battery obviously has to come out and im going to guess part of the inner fender?). i did search but after 3 pages i couldnt find any awsers. a DIY write up would be even better.

sleepyalero 06-10-2011 07:00 PM

easiest way i found while i did mine.. which idk what others do, but....

tools you need is a flat head, 10mm wrench or socket. pretty sure thats all you need. just gotta take off the wheel well and intake tubing. oh and a breaker bar or impact to remove the wheel.

1. jack up the car.
2. take off driver front wheel.
3. remove wheel well most of the way.
4. pretty much pull out the stock intake system.
5. put on new intake.
6. vroom vroom?

heineck 06-10-2011 09:27 PM

all u really need is a flathead screwdriver. the battery doesnt have to come out just disconnect the negative side

a.graham52 06-10-2011 10:49 PM

well i installed it without even lifting the car or removing the wheel haha. of course no instructions came with it (it was a "chromeintake") off of ebay. i did the best i could and im sure its not perfect but its alright. i dont feel much for performance but just the noise alone makes me get a hard-on haha.

sleepyalero 06-11-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 587609)
well i installed it without even lifting the car or removing the wheel haha. of course no instructions came with it (it was a "chromeintake") off of ebay. i did the best i could and im sure its not perfect but its alright. i dont feel much for performance but just the noise alone makes me get a hard-on haha.

for me it was easiest to get the stock intake in the bumper out from there. and also yeah i have the same intake, sounds so good, but filter sucks, so get a K&N one.

a.graham52 06-11-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 587635)
for me it was easiest to get the stock intake in the bumper out from there. and also yeah i have the same intake, sounds so good, but filter sucks, so get a K&N one.

what do you base your opinion on when it comes to the filter? im curious. and what pieces did you installed hwere? i did the short piece between the maf and intake, then the medium piece going behind the battery and then the long piece going down into the fender, sound about right? also. the filter is located right near the inner fender, kind of wedged between the washer fluid tank and the bumper. does that sound right or should it be located more forward??

heineck 06-11-2011 01:15 PM

skip the k&n get an aem dryflow, it has no screen so ittll never rust and its super easy to clean, also about the same prive or cheaper than k&n

spc2125 06-11-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 587609)
. i dont feel much for performance but just the noise alone makes me get a hard-on haha.

video?

a.graham52 06-11-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 587658)
video?

u want a video of me getting a hard-on? i think not.

sleepyalero 06-11-2011 02:09 PM

Hahahahahah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 587655)
what do you base your opinion on when it comes to the filter? im curious. and what pieces did you installed hwere? i did the short piece between the maf and intake, then the medium piece going behind the battery and then the long piece going down into the fender, sound about right? also. the filter is located right near the inner fender, kind of wedged between the washer fluid tank and the bumper. does that sound right or should it be located more forward??

The filter that comes from ebay isn't the best so I would buy a name brand filter from an auto store and yeah sounds right my intake runs the same way yours does

a.graham52 06-11-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 587668)
The filter that comes from ebay isn't the best so I would buy a name brand filter from an auto store and yeah sounds right my intake runs the same way yours does

i understand that but what about it isnt good?

sleepyalero 06-12-2011 05:04 AM

its a cheapo filter IMO, i mean you can run it and wont have any problems. hell im still running the filter that came with mine from ebay... just havent gotten around to getting a K&N filter.

somewhere there is a thread around here who also asked about the ebay intake and people said you should change the filter....

pjwallington 06-12-2011 01:30 PM

Just so people dont complain I start a new thread...
I just bought a filter today, and it did not fit on my factory intake tube, this is what I did > > But I obviously couldnt plug that plug back into my intake... Will this eff anything up ? :O EDIT-Thanks

a.graham52 06-12-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjwallington (Post 587878)
Just so people dont complain I start a new thread...
I just bought a filter today, and it did not fit on my factory intake tube, this is what I did > > But I obviously couldnt plug that plug back into my intake... Will this eff anything up ? :O EDIT-Thanks

yeah, your car will no longer be able to tell the intake air temp and will not run right, a check engine light will come on accompanied by trac off light and harsh shifts.

pjwallington 06-12-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 587882)
yeah, your car will no longer be able to tell the intake air temp and will not run right, a check engine light will come on accompanied by trac off light and harsh shifts.

What would you advise me to do.. ? So far, it drives and sounds great (Up the road and back) and my traction control is disconnected.. thanks again

a.graham52 06-12-2011 02:13 PM

id put it all back together so you can utilize the sensor properly. get what you have to have to make it work right. it might take up to 20 miles before you computer goes "wtf" and says FU. but it will happen. a bigger pic would also be nice.

pjwallington 06-12-2011 02:36 PM

I dont know how to make them bigger ! lol - Even though mines the Manual transmission, it will still F-up ? Maybe ill see if I can get a different filter :/

a.graham52 06-12-2011 02:39 PM

ooo didnt think you had a 5spd. my bad. i would still find away to get that senso to work. a ram air intake or even a cai isnt that much off ebay and will look better then the set up you hve.

pjwallington 06-12-2011 02:43 PM

Okay thank-you, until I get it, would you recommend not driving the Alero ?
Or it wont hurt it. Swear thats the last question !

a.graham52 06-12-2011 02:48 PM

if i was you, id just put the stock stuff back on untill you can get it right. without that sensor your cars goign to guess at the air temp and it might decrease your fuel millage too.