Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Aleromod.com Showcase (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   a_e_r's build thread (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37870)

aleros_eat_rice 04-05-2014 03:58 PM

a_e_r's build thread

Now that photobucket is cooperating, I can post build pics. First up, the CAI.
Build pic 1, CAI kit
Build pic 2, "old air intake"
Build pic 3, kit tube/sensor neck, decided not to use, as the plastic tube would have broken in the attempt to make it work
Build pic 4, finished

03gxeco 04-05-2014 04:11 PM

i cut the hose that runs from the intake to the valve cover and used a small coolant hose to make it long enough to fit with the intake. works great, try it out.

Nas Escobar 04-07-2014 03:43 PM

Not bad at all.... You should consider direct linking the pics and attaching them with the (IMG) tags (but with brackets) so the pics will load instead of having to click the links.

03GXeco is right btw... it makes a load of difference. You can also use rubber fuel lines. You can buy the hose for less than $5 at Auto Zone.

cavedewler 04-07-2014 05:51 PM

ebay kit?

aleros_eat_rice 04-07-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nas Escobar (Post 653445)
Not bad at all.... You should consider direct linking the pics and attaching them with the (IMG) tags (but with brackets) so the pics will load instead of having to click the links.

03GXeco is right btw... it makes a load of difference. You can also use rubber fuel lines. You can buy the hose for less than $5 at Auto Zone.

I may do that then. As for posting links, I'm posting from my phone. I'll try to change it in a bit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cavedewler (Post 653451)
ebay kit?

Yes. Was $38.50, free shipping. I've already noticed a bit of an increase in mpg. On a full tank, a trip to work and back, the needle moved a bit less with the kit. Plus, it sounds better now that the silencer is out. Has a nice, throaty rumble now, and I can hear the air whistling across the butterfly valve when the pedal is down further.

cavedewler 04-08-2014 09:08 AM

which kit? honda accord?

aleros_eat_rice 04-08-2014 11:24 AM

Nope. Actually said "99-05 Grand Am 3400". Same body & engine, so I figured why not.

Nas Escobar 04-08-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice (Post 653481)
Nope. Actually said "99-05 Grand Am 3400". Same body & engine, so I figured why not.

The parts interchange. The only thing unique to the GA is the head lights, tail lights, body cladding, transmission gearing, and interior. The 3400 are the same. I used to have one sooo.... yeah

aleros_eat_rice 04-10-2014 03:24 PM

While not explicitly related to a build, I have these books for my specs and info.
Unrelated pic 1, service books

Nas Escobar 04-11-2014 02:24 AM

Those books are the best!

BTW don't call your CAI a racing CAI. It sounds ricerish... not to flame you or anything but you know where that might lead to with the others.

aleros_eat_rice 04-11-2014 04:14 AM

That's where it came from, L3 racing. I wasn't trying to say it was made for racing, but I can see how that might come off as rice ish.

Those books, I thought would be either harder to find or more expensive. I got lucky, though. I found them on ebay for $25+ $8 s/h.

Nas Escobar 04-11-2014 04:32 AM

I figured that one out after reading it a couple times but then I thought regardless, that's just asking for trouble the way it was worded. Sometimes that's all it takes for something to mean something completely different.

They're hard to find after a while. I've been trying to find a good book for my Camaro and my Cutlass Supreme and no luck.

aleros_eat_rice 05-18-2014 02:06 AM

What kind of effect will removing the air dam beside the foglight have? A buddy says it can make the brakes a bit hotter, but will increase air flow to the CAI.

aleros_eat_rice 07-04-2014 03:57 AM

Just ordered new lights. 35w/8000k light blue HID lights (w/ballasts). Will install when they arrive.

sleepyalero 07-04-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice (Post 655031)
What kind of effect will removing the air dam beside the foglight have? A buddy says it can make the brakes a bit hotter, but will increase air flow to the CAI.

It has no effect on your brakes. And if you domt track the car even if it did make the brakes hotter you honestly wouldnt notice much at all.

It also really won't help flow to the CAI either because its under the radiator, not blocking the CAI filter. If anything is blocking it its the fog light. (If you have one) if this car is driven in the rain I would leave the fog light in place to help protect from water during rain driving.

I have a CAI of course on mine. With stock fogs removed along with the extra plastic that surrounded the fog light in the bottom bumper holes. So basically it's a giant hole to my filter... well with cars on the highway throwing water at your front end I managed to suck water up my intake. The car bogged reallt bad. I had to remove my intake and tear apart the top end to clean all the water out, luckily I didnt hydrolock, but anymore water could have caused some damage. But yeah I had some standing water in my accordion tube as well. Wasnt good at all...

luckily I have very rare chances where I have to drive the car in the rain. But 99.9% of the time my car is a nice day car only. Doesnt see snow at all, and very low chances on rain. But if I get caught in a good rain I actually pull over to wait for it to pass because if I drive to long in it it sucks up the intake. So im very cautious on that now. Lol

But its july now and my car has only seen rain twice this year. :)

aleros_eat_rice 07-04-2014 04:59 AM

I have the fog light in, but I took the air dam out. Not seeing any real improvement on power or efficiency, so I'm thinking about putting it back in. I still have the plastic flap under the bumper.

sleepyalero 07-04-2014 11:34 AM

The plastic flap under the bumper is the air dam/wind deflector. What you yslkin bout

aleros_eat_rice 07-04-2014 01:04 PM

I was talking about the plastic that is right by the foglight.

sleepyalero 07-04-2014 01:05 PM

Oh yeah you may get more air. I have all mine removed. But its not as safe during rains.

And no. It does NOT direct air to your brakes. These cars dont have that feature.

aleros_eat_rice 07-04-2014 01:27 PM

But if I only have the plastic by the fog light removed, there isn't as much worry from water intake, right? I avoid large puddles when it's raining, and I don't get too close to people when it's raining out of habit.