Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Forced Induction Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Magnuson MP62 Kit Revisited (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36112)

AleroB888 07-08-2012 03:01 AM

Magnuson MP62 Kit Revisited

As some of you know, I have started an FWD V6 MP90 project. The project car is still in a shop and not available to do test fittings. In the meantime, since the original MP62 kit was sitting around, I thought it would be interesting to install it on my 2003 Alero, which is totally stock, and low mileage. This would give me more insight into the kit construction process. I also needed to assess the condition of the old MP62, and compare any drivability issues with those of the highly modded track car.

I wanted to go for what would be close to a "dealer-installed" add-on. I did not follow the kit instructions on some things -- partly because the 2003 was different than earlier models, and some I did to test some ideas.

Installation differences:
1) Stock EGR left in place on upper intake manifold (not re-routed as in original kit).
2) Power brake hose left in stock position, but extra check valve added in line with it.
3) 1/4 inch spacer added between SC inlet and throttle body to match stock 2003 IAC opening.
4) Formed 1/2 inch hose routed from rear valve cover to stock coupler post-MAF, to keep MAF cleaner.
5) Modded stock water tower and routed heater hose under SC, over transmission.
6) 2.2 inch pulley installed.
7) Added formed piece to overflow tank hose.

Problems:
1) For some reason, I had to cut a notch in the battery tray to keep the bypass valve from contacting it.
2) The MAF sensor plug was too close to the fuse box, maybe 1/16 inch, so I put a pad in between them.
3) Because of the spacer installed on the SC inlet, the throttle body is too close to the airbox, put another rubber pad in there.
4) Heater hose from T-stat housing contacts SC. I changed the corner hex-head SC outlet bolt to a round, smooth allen-head type, wrapped the contact point with silicone tape, and wrapped the hose with header wrap.

Performance (so far)
1) Drivability normal, handling slightly different.
2) No DTC codes of any kind show up on scans.
3) Throttle response is terrific, but the system is overly sensitive to ambient heat. On a cool day, performance is much better than stock. If the outside temperature gets much above 85 degrees, available power drops quickly and gets to a point where it is actually slower than stock due to timing pulled by the PCM. (IAT and KR)

My conclusion (which most of you already know :) ) is that the kit only, as a dealer-installed option would never have flown. On a GrandAm/Alero model that also included better exhaust, less restrictive air intake and throttle body, and computer reflash, then probably yes. But even then, I doubt the HP ratings that some claimed on the original concept cars. Supporting mods are all-important with these kits.

MMGT1 07-08-2012 04:34 AM

B, that looks amazingly clean. That pic looks like it was taken 10 years ago... lol

a.graham52 07-08-2012 10:06 AM

yeah i think you will find a reprogramming of the pcm would have been standard with the kit.

Shiwnath 07-08-2012 10:19 AM

As a dealer installed option, they would also have to make it reliable so some of the supporting mods that you've listed would have been essential for normal everyday operation.

I think an intercooler and higher flowing injectors would have been a must for a kit like this. Especially if GM offered different stages with it as a dealer installed option.

mfuller 07-08-2012 12:50 PM

Give it some time to start throwing fuel trim lean codes -
although I had headers when mine was installed, I ran dangerously lean with a 2.5" pulley. Stock injectors with the compound FPR that came with the kit.

billytheman1188 07-08-2012 01:20 PM

WOW....that engine/engine bay is CLEAAAAAAAAN. Looks good! Hope all goes well.

AleroB888 07-08-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 620837)
Give it some time to start throwing fuel trim lean codes -
although I had headers when mine was installed, I ran dangerously lean with a 2.5" pulley. Stock injectors with the compound FPR that came with the kit.

I forgot to mention that I revised the main spark timing tables on the top end. The fuel demand is reduced somewhat as a result. I did max the injectors on a scan at WOT. In much cooler weather, it is likely that more midrange fuel trim cells will go lean. But I never got any lean codes set on the track car from simply maxing out the injectors, just more Knock Retard.

I am keeping this '03 ready to go back to 100% stock, except for the trimming done on the fan shroud. For the mods I did here, I used an extra battery tray and coolant hardline. I can do most of the MP90 mock-ups on it now, though, just don't want to relocate the battery.

I can also experiment with water injection at this point, which would help with a lean condition.

AleroB888 07-23-2012 01:03 AM

Mod2-CAI

To make room for water injection, we must first install your basic CAI, using components commonly found in the garage. That's a K&N E-1009, about 50% more area than the stock size flat filter. IAT sensor relocated to back of UIM; filter on rear PCV tube.

Papa Rad17 08-15-2012 08:56 PM

Thats a beautiful clean set up. It help any with the ambient temperature issues any?

AleroB888 08-15-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 623176)
Thats a beautiful clean set up. It help any with the ambient temperature issues any?

Thanks, not very much, but there were other bigger issues to correct. I'll try to update the thread soon. A CAI is mandatory for this kit, though, imo.

Already had to buy new tires after 11 test drives lol. Now Redog has a competitor. Maybe we'll call it Redpup? eh, maybe not.

Redog 08-15-2012 09:54 PM

Looks clean!

Redog is an NA car, so, umm, yeah, no

AleroB888 08-15-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 623183)
Looks clean!

Redog is an NA car, so, umm, yeah, no

I think yours would beat it, still got stock exhaust here

AleroB888 09-06-2012 02:45 AM

Mod3-28lb inj, 68mm TB

Had a ton of false KR, eliminated that. Now has pretty good power under most conditions. The 68mm TB I recommend to anybody with these kits. Seamless drivability, super good throttle response.

And have ongoing experiments with water/alcohol injection. It does not really solve the high IAT problems, at least not with the EGR in place. Only had good results injecting pure alcohol. In all cases, the PCM will try to adapt and pull fuel on successive WOT runs. Don't really want to debate alc injection, but I will say that for my money, I'd rather relocate the battery and try AW intercooling, even if it had to be in the engine compartment.

billytheman1188 09-06-2012 03:35 AM

Nice. What's that on top of the battery?

AleroB888 09-06-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billytheman1188 (Post 624614)
Nice. What's that on top of the battery?

35 psi pump

happyisthealero 09-06-2012 09:21 AM

I've been wondering why you didn't relocate the battery.

AleroB888 09-06-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyisthealero (Post 624619)
I've been wondering why you didn't relocate the battery.

Need the trunk space right now, and was trying to keep the kit install as simple as possible. See post#1.

edit: And so far, has not set any DTC, SES codes

xXManwhoreXx 09-06-2012 01:36 PM

Why do you have stock exhaust... Thats just crazy...

AleroB888 09-06-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx (Post 624636)

I am fighting the temptation to put a Borla complete exhaust on, or even the muffler, but too much other stuff going on right now, I have to have it so it can go quickly back to stock if needed. And it has to be quiet for my 90-year-old mom to ride in it. lol

03glgold 09-06-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx (Post 624636)

At least he has an exhaust :p