Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   tail light clearing (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31542)

luckilero7 05-29-2010 11:49 PM

tail light clearing

just got my new alero and been busy including clearing the head light corners... what i am tryin to figure out now is if and how can i clear the orange out of the tail lights. i think i saw a thread on it before but now i cant find it, so can i get some help, how-to, or where i can find the thread please?

KenshinZero 05-30-2010 12:50 AM

I think thats just the reflection from the bulb, if im not mistaken. I havent realy messed with my tail lights, yet.

whiterider00 05-30-2010 01:44 AM

theres no way to clear the tails except for completely removing the outer housing and replacing it with molded plexiglass or something. not nearly as simple as pulling out a reflector like the headlights.

luckilero7 05-30-2010 01:35 PM

lol well how hard is that to do? and what materials would i need?
i would really like to do this before i tint the rear tail lights. anyone have a how-to, that would be great!

Vella's Alero 05-30-2010 02:24 PM

No one really has a how-to on this. There was a group buy through Anderbra but that went south pretty quickly. It basically consists of having to take out the lense, make a mold of it, then use a molding plastic to make a new one.

If you go that route, it would be best to use LED's because the coloured bulbs won't show up as well without a coloured lense behind the tint.

I have been looking into doing that myself and it will take quite a bit of work so I won't be able to start doing anything like that till end of July-ish.

This is definitely a lot trickier than clearing the corners so do the research well and if you would like, I have a few websites that look like they are alright on how to make molds and stuff but haven't had much of a chance to read through them. This is definitely gonna be a summer project. If you find some stuff out post it so we can get a collective research going and eventually put a how to up if you are interested.

Vella's Alero 05-30-2010 02:26 PM

also through my research I found out that you could put a tint in the molding plastic so it is all one piece instead of putting it on afterwards which would be pretty cool.

luckilero7 05-30-2010 03:55 PM

well ima look into it then but even when i tint the tail lights im not goin super dark but rather an actual tint of only 2 or 3 coats. looks like il do some research and il let u know what i find

Vella's Alero 05-30-2010 10:02 PM

For the tint, it depends on how much of the colouring you put into the mold that determines the darkness. I still have to talk to a guy on another forum to figure this out. But even with the different shades of tint LED's would most likely still be best for light output so cops don't bother you depending on where you are.

luckilero7 05-30-2010 10:16 PM

that is true, didnt think about that one. the main city cops arent bad its the township and sub division cops that seem to give a little harder time with little things like that

KenshinZero 05-30-2010 10:54 PM

Im glad I never poped off my tail lamps and tried to remove the reflector, lol

MattismodderX 05-30-2010 11:54 PM

use vht nightshade. instant badass

luckilero7 05-30-2010 11:55 PM

well i brought one of the tail light assemblies in to look at and i have a simple idea as how to remove the orange without doing the complicated molding so before i go buy a test tail light from the junkyard can/how does one seperate or dissassemble the housing to get into the reflective area behind the lens?

luckilero7 05-31-2010 12:11 AM

well i brought one of the tail light assemblies in to look at and i have a simple idea as how to remove the orange without doing the complicated molding so before i go buy a test tail light from the junkyard can/how does one seperate or dissassemble the housing to get into the reflective area behind the lens?

luckilero7 05-31-2010 12:15 AM

what is vht nightshade...explanation please? i assume ur talking about the tint for the lens?

luckilero7 05-31-2010 12:22 AM

what is vht nightshade...explanation please? i assume ur talking about the tint for the lens?

MattismodderX 05-31-2010 02:54 AM

vht nightshades: http://www.vhtpaint.com/niteshades.html

on my alero. could have used another coat but id rather not have it that dark. i used the rest of the can on the headlights today. pics tomorrow : D

KenshinZero 05-31-2010 02:56 AM

Double post much, lol

I’m gonna take a whack at this, I’m probably wrong tho, I think there sealed like the headlamps, so the silicone needs to be heated so it becomes soft and flexible, then carefully cut the silicone, or pull the plastic lens off. Good luck!!

Vella's Alero 05-31-2010 06:58 AM

That is one part of the project I haven't looked at yet. I just got an entire set of lights (head and tail )for $20 off of a local seller so I will be looking at them when I can to see how to take them off because in order to make the molds the will obviously need to come off.

And yes, if you wanted t just go the tint route, VHT nightshades is a great solution. spray on multiple thin coats and you are set to go from there.

colonel6632 05-31-2010 09:49 AM

the tail lights do not come apart like the headlights. you have to use a dremel to cut them open.

luckilero7 05-31-2010 11:18 AM

sorry about the double posts, doing the post from my phone which acts up sometimes. so one has to use a dremel huh? have any pics of the cutting process or where to cut? i assume try to cut underneath the lens but above the rubber and black plastic back? and putting that back together consist of? sorry about all the questions, just really want to do this and soon but dont want to mess it all up either