Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Common Questions & Troubleshooting (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ball Joints??? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37577)

Silver SLP 11-23-2013 11:28 PM

Ball Joints???

Okay, so I've done a lot of research and I think I may have narrowed my "popping" noise down. Just wondering what you guys think...

The popping noise happens when hitting the brakes (load shifting to front of car) and when turning the wheels to the left and going in reverse, especially when accelerating, (taking the load off of the drivers side front wheel) although the popping sound is NOT rotational. From my research, this sounds like the symptoms of a shifting ball joint.

All bushings are good, no abs lights or anything like that. No vibrations at all either. I have tried moving the tire at 12-6 and 9-3 but I can't feel any movement. Tire wear is even.

Thanks in advance for the help.

theirishpope 11-24-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver SLP (Post 648650)
Okay, so I've done a lot of research and I think I may have narrowed my "popping" noise down. Just wondering what you guys think...

The popping noise happens when hitting the brakes (load shifting to front of car) and when turning the wheels to the left and going in reverse, especially when accelerating, (taking the load off of the drivers side front wheel) although the popping sound is NOT rotational. From my research, this sounds like the symptoms of a shifting ball joint.

All bushings are good, no abs lights or anything like that. No vibrations at all either. I have tried moving the tire at 12-6 and 9-3 but I can't feel any movement. Tire wear is even.

Thanks in advance for the help.

03glgold has a popping noise on his as well, his is due to his suspension having issues if i recall correctly.

03glgold 11-24-2013 10:40 AM

I am fairly certain my issue is the strut mounts

MMGT1 11-24-2013 01:57 PM

I would guess the strut mounts or the rear bushing on control arms, closest to firewall. Check those before you go further

Silver SLP 11-24-2013 05:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that I have brand new struts and strut mounts. I was told by GM that the popping was the result of a bad strut mount. It is not.

Silver SLP 11-24-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 648666)
I would guess the strut mounts or the rear bushing on control arms, closest to firewall. Check those before you go further

How should I check the rear bushing on the control arm? Just look for signs of wear?

Thanks.

MMGT1 11-24-2013 05:23 PM

When jacked up you can look for visual signs of wear. Another thing to do is this... Jack it up and get wheel off, do the usual safety stuff like jack stands not just jack holding the car, and chalk the tires so she's not going anywhere. You need a long 2x4, 6' plus if possible. Place one end under the control arm as close to the rotor as you can get it, I'm balzy and would just go under the rotor...lol You lift the 2x4 taking the control arm and strut assembly through as much of the range as you can muster. Put the 2x4 on end, face to suspension you can break it pretty easy. You should hear your noise this way and be able to pin point its location

Silver SLP 11-24-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 648679)
When jacked up you can look for visual signs of wear. Another thing to do is this... Jack it up and get wheel off, do the usual safety stuff like jack stands not just jack holding the car, and chalk the tires so she's not going anywhere. You need a long 2x4, 6' plus if possible. Place one end under the control arm as close to the rotor as you can get it, I'm balzy and would just go under the rotor...lol You lift the 2x4 taking the control arm and strut assembly through as much of the range as you can muster. Put the 2x4 on end, face to suspension you can break it pretty easy. You should hear your noise this way and be able to pin point its location

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try. One thing I noticed when I am jacking the car up, I hear a popping noise similar to what I mentioned. This is definitely not the jack because I tried it on the other side and it will not replicate the sound. But it will every time I jack up the drivers side wheel.

MMGT1 11-24-2013 05:49 PM

Then do as I suggested on the left side. Once you have that 2x4 working the suspension up and down sounds like its going to be easy to find

Silver SLP 11-24-2013 06:01 PM

So just to clarify, do as you suggested on the right (passenger) side and have someone listen on the drivers side?

Thanks.

MMGT1 11-24-2013 07:30 PM

wow, I'm stupid...lol Left side man, drivers side like you said. I'd still check both to make sure it's only one side making the noise though

Silver SLP 11-24-2013 09:27 PM

No, it's all good man, I just wanted to clarify. I appreciate your help!

Silver SLP 11-27-2013 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well today I got a chance to take the wheel off again. I put the 2x4 where you said and I could get a little bit of noise. I also noticed a couple indentations/scratches on the sway bar right in front of the rear sway bar bushing. I'm thinking this is a result of the bad bushing?

This is not an actual picture of my car, but I drew where the indentations are. I also checked the sway bar bushings and those look good.

billytheman1188 11-27-2013 05:22 PM

The scratches on the sway bar are probably from when it was installed. Mine got scratched up too.

Silver SLP 11-27-2013 05:28 PM

I guess that's possible. But it is original, not aftermarket. I thought it might be from hitting something repetitively when stopping or turning because the bushing is bad.

billytheman1188 11-27-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver SLP (Post 648810)
I guess that's possible. But it is original, not aftermarket. I thought it might be from hitting something repetitively when stopping or turning because the bushing is bad.

Ahhh ok....shoot, i thought it was aftermarket. oops.

MMGT1 11-27-2013 09:59 PM

Check the hold down bracket its self, they crack over time where they attach to the car. If it's OK, you've blown the bushing. Either way, cheap fix man

Silver SLP 11-27-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 648826)
Check the hold down bracket its self, they crack over time where they attach to the car. If it's OK, you've blown the bushing. Either way, cheap fix man

You're talking about the metal sleeve, correct? Thanks for the help man!

MMGT1 11-28-2013 08:01 AM

yes, exactly

Silver SLP 11-28-2013 09:04 PM

Well I ordered a new Moog bushing last night. I'm hoping I can replace it without completely removing the control arm. I'm going to purchase an air hammer/chisel from harbor freight to push the old one out. Hopefully a C-clamp and some luck will get the new one in.

For anyone interested, I also found this. http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pd...K10_107_En.pdf