Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New engine (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35420)

a.graham52 01-29-2012 02:30 PM

well keep an eye on it. your either going to be fine... or your gonna be putting an engine in it. just change the oil, and inspect for shavings. how long between changes?

[ion] C2 01-29-2012 02:31 PM

Mine also had a lot of gray mush shavings. Who knows.

Philbar71 01-29-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 607773)
well keep an eye on it. your either going to be fine... or your gonna be putting an engine in it. just change the oil, and inspect for shavings. how long between changes?

on average about 3500 miles. Longest I have ever been was only about 5000 miles. All synthetic.

It worrries that much shavings in a short amount of time. As compared to usually no shavings at all.

Also, when taking the old engine out, is there anything special that must be done when disconnecting the trans from the engine? any kind of special alignment? I was reading through my haynes manual and it was saying something about scribing alignment marks on the driveplate and the torque converter to ensure that they are in balance when re assembling.

Philbar71 01-30-2012 07:01 AM

Video,

http://youtu.be/nbEfLhiAZLU

turboalero 01-30-2012 07:21 AM

mark if u like it doesn't really matter it will line up. dont forget theres one nut between the transmission and oil pan, (youll be pulling all day if u dont get it out) and take off the crank pully helps alot. youll need a puller tool

Caboose73 01-30-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turboalero (Post 607834)
mark if u like it doesn't really matter it will line up. dont forget theres one nut between the transmission and oil pan, (youll be pulling all day if u dont get it out) and take off the crank pully helps alot. youll need a puller tool

x2 on removing the pulley it gives you that extra room to maneuver and pull it out.

Philbar71 01-31-2012 11:06 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! Anybody listened to that vid yet?

[ion] C2 01-31-2012 11:25 AM

damnit, forgot to listen when i was at home last night. i'll try to remember when i get home today

Philbar71 01-31-2012 11:45 AM

Its starting to knock very softly when its warm too...

[ion] C2 01-31-2012 10:49 PM

mine made that noise

it is my opinion that it is normal... but that may change once i get my freshly put together engine running and see whether it also makes the noise.

however i think what we hear is normal. the LD9 is a noisy engine.

Philbar71 02-01-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 607769)
Engine will seize, rod might break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 607981)
mine made that noise

it is my opinion that it is normal... but that may change once i get my freshly put together engine running and see whether it also makes the noise.

however i think what we hear is normal. the LD9 is a noisy engine.

Knocking while warm too? :/ its been eating alot of oil too. Like one quart every 800—1000 miles.

a.graham52 02-01-2012 09:03 AM

motors toast, rebuild or replaced. sounds like fore now you can either run it till it dies or start putting peices together. in all seriousness... do a crompression test and a leak down test on your engine and that should tell you how the internals are doing/

[ion] C2 02-01-2012 09:38 AM

compression test doesn't tell you the bearing condition

apparently my rods and bearings were not spec'd or installed properly when my engine was built the first time. i was shown excessive wear patterns on the rods, crank, and bearings. so maybe mine made that noise (yes even a little bit when it was already warm) because of impending failure.

personally though yours sounds really mild, mine was a bit louder than yours. i think you're fine. mine sounded like that for longer than i can remember otherwise..

Philbar71 02-01-2012 09:58 AM

Thanks for all the help guys!! Well the oil is getting changed this weekend and i'll take a look and seeif theres alot of shavings.

Anybody else have suggestions?

a.graham52 02-01-2012 11:48 AM

i was stating compression test because it gives you a good idea of the engine as a whole. if the compression is crappy and the bearings are shot then the whole engine needs to be considered. if the compression tests good then maybe just bearings can be done and be good to go for a while.

Philbar71 02-01-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 608032)
i was stating compression test because it gives you a good idea of the engine as a whole. if the compression is crappy and the bearings are shot then the whole engine needs to be considered. if the compression tests good then maybe just bearings can be done and be good to go for a while.

But, bearings cant be done in my driveway lol. And no shop ive talked to wants replace them. I havent talked to a machine shop tho.

Philbar71 02-01-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a.graham52 (Post 608032)

But, bearings cant be done in my driveway lol. And no shop ive talked to wants replace them. I havent talked to a machine shop tho.

comanche 02-01-2012 05:32 PM

No shop wants the liability of working on a quad four... I've heard of guys putting new bearings in and having them fail in short order. Yes, it could have been an install problem, but these engines are about as bad as a Dodge 2.7L... or a Saturn CVT...
Napa machine shop will probably do it, and warranty it. They are our best option around here.

Caboose73 02-01-2012 09:30 PM

Ya my engine was making that noise then this happened.

Philbar71 02-01-2012 09:46 PM

Good lord. What happened there? All that from a bearing failure?