Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   master brake cylinder failure (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38750)

kbubb91 08-11-2016 10:02 PM

master brake cylinder failure

i had a master brake cylinder failure on the thruway going 45 mph. i ended up smashing a big SUV. long story short, its a total loss.

my car is totaled, i just did this 5PM today and im in shock. im nervous to get another alero, im on the fence, help?

sleepyalero 08-12-2016 12:28 AM

Glad you are okay, parts break. Cars arent meant to be invincible. You just had a freak accident. Dont be shy to buy another just cause of a part failure.

Ive had mine 8 years, 225k miles. Stock master cyl. No issues yet...

zzyzzx 08-12-2016 11:27 AM

The only master cylinder failure I have ever had were on numerous rebuilt master cylinders. And they actually all worked, but leaked.

kbubb91 08-12-2016 07:36 PM

i decided im going to try repairs to my alero if i can get it on the ramps, i was able to drive it on the ramps and park it with the E brake and park gear.

the damage is fixable but im groveling thinking about it. also my arm is killing me from the air bag blast.

hood is effed, see if a big friend i got(350lbs) can flatten it back

front bumper hit hard, but i might be able to fix it

major repairs are: master brake cylinder, exaust pipe broke in the middle, need new bolts and gasket for that. also air bag removal with replacement.

1970cs 08-12-2016 09:26 PM

I would think that there are plenty of donors at scrap yard or a cheap used unit for the parts?

Besides the arm, it's good to hear that you are doing okay?

Pat

kbubb91 08-13-2016 04:37 AM

yeah im ok now, im going to give it an inspection with an LED flashlight tomorrow, see whats going on underneath the car.

kbubb91 08-13-2016 09:49 PM

just found out it was a blown brake line, pump the brakes and it pours out.

im working on removing the airbags right now, just took out the front header panel i shattered. i straightened the hood out a little bit.

zzyzzx 08-15-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbubb91 (Post 664849)
just found out it was a blown brake line, pump the brakes and it pours out.

Flex piece or metal, and exactly which one?

In upstate NY on a car this old, if I had to guess, it would be a toss up between rusted out metal line and one of the front flex hoses.

kbubb91 09-12-2016 07:13 PM

rusted out metal line is the correct answer, just wanted to let everyone know that after 30 hours of me working on it and then a body shop replacing my fuel lines and brake lines(rotted) my car is back on the road.

the only thing still left from the accident is there is a bumper patch on my bumper and my airbag light is now on. i guess i need to check out the forum called "how to reset my airbag light after a crash" lol. part of my 30 hours of labor was replacing airbags

other then that, i did 85 on the thruway the other day and the car ran smooth. no problems with performance.

Nas Escobar 09-22-2016 02:30 PM

When you change the airbag, you're supposed to change the sensor as well.

kbubb91 09-23-2016 09:36 PM

do you need to have the airbags working to pass a NYS inspection, if not im going to say eff it.