Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   CAI placement : ) (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32944)

spc2125 11-29-2010 09:28 PM

CAI placement : )

1 Attachment(s)
i bought a CAI and took out the old filter. but i kept the filter box in there and
i did it pretty ghetto with a zip line attached to the old filter box cuz i didnt have the money to buy all the attachments.

but is not getting the steel attachment and just using the plastic tubing lowering the potential HP?
and is there a silencer somewhere in that plastic like tube connected to the CAI??

jhubbz 11-29-2010 09:31 PM

wut?

Lucalare 11-29-2010 09:35 PM

I believe that big shroud over the throttle body acts as a resonator. If not, it probably has one down in the wheel well like the LA1 does.

spc2125 11-29-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucalare (Post 566838)
I believe that big shroud over the throttle body acts as a resonator. If not, it probably has one down in the wheel well like the LA1 does.

so if it got the steel tubing, it would make more noise?

Greencoupe2.2 11-29-2010 10:08 PM

why dont you just buy a real cai ?lol:lol:

spc2125 11-29-2010 10:27 PM

lost my job and dont have the money for big purchases specially with the winter coming and the heat bill and xmas gifts for the kids.
prob haveta give them crew socks again

justjoking. but im only 17 and i work during the summer and ran out of all my money on previous projects and gas money

Lucalare 11-29-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 566843)
so if it got the steel tubing, it would make more noise?

Yes, the WAI I have on my car has a little bit of whistle to it, almost like a turbo, but at low rpms. If you get an actually CAI I think it will be more of a whooshing sound then a whistle.

03Sleepr 11-29-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 566849)
lost my job and dont have the money for big purchases specially with the winter coming and the heat bill and xmas gifts for the kids.
prob haveta give them crew socks again

justjoking. but im only 17 and i work during the summer and ran out of all my money on previous projects and gas money

I almost facepalmed then started to bash you for the beginning of your post lol...nice sence of humor you got there....your best bet would probably just save up and get a real CAI...maybe cut wood in the winter for some money

Philbar71 11-29-2010 10:49 PM

What are you guys talking about? On my 2.4 Ive got a cone filter in place of the stock airbox and it's loud as crap. lol. At WOT its louder than my Dynomax Spuer Turbo...

spc2125 11-29-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Sleepr (Post 566851)
I almost facepalmed then started to bash you for the beginning of your post lol...nice sence of humor you got there....your best bet would probably just save up and get a real CAI...maybe cut wood in the winter for some money

haha yea just a little humor.

but i mean i have a real CAI, just not the correct piping. im trying to figure out if the plastic tubing is keeping it from producing a louder sound compared to in the steel piping.

Lucalare 11-29-2010 10:58 PM

I'm guessing the 2.4 has a resonator underneath the air box then, but I'm really thinking this ecotec has it right there on the throttle body. I have a WAI on my LA1 and in the rare occasion I break 3k on the tac (getting on interstate) it screams like crazy.

Lucalare 11-29-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 566865)

but i mean i have a real CAI, just not the correct piping. im trying to figure out if the plastic tubing is keeping it from producing a louder sound compared to in the steel piping.

You have a WAI, a CAI is where the filter is outside the engine bay, in the fender well.

Philbar71 11-29-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 566865)

And you have the exact same setup I have on my 2.4, just a cone filter in place of the stock airbox.

Yes, there is a small resonator where the throttle body is but its so small it hardly quiets things down. The real resonation comes from this gigantic resonator located in the fender well behind and under the drivers side headlight.

Lucalare 11-29-2010 11:04 PM

I'm wondering why his would be quiet then? maybe you have something restricting your pipe, or you just didn't get into it enough. I bet once you get the RPMs up a little bit it'll start talkin.

Philbar71 11-29-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucalare (Post 566879)
I'm wondering why his would be quiet then? maybe you have something restricting your pipe, or you just didn't get into it enough. I bet once you get the RPMs up a little bit it'll start talkin.

My friend has a Ecotec in his Sunfire and hes got a CAI (yes, real, filter is in fender well) and it was loud, but not like screaming or anything. I dont know what this guy considers "loud" tho...

spc2125 11-29-2010 11:22 PM

so whats considered a real CAI?

because your right i just have the cone filter

03Sleepr 11-29-2010 11:26 PM

CAI is an intake that is routed to somewhere it will suck in air thats cooler than whats in the engine bay...in the fender, bumper..ect...personally I would relocate my battery and run my filter right behind the drivers headlight

edit: the setup I listed ISN'T a CAI..Its a WAI..but you can remove the drivers headlight and in essence it works the same as a CAI

Philbar71 11-29-2010 11:27 PM

Ahh, you ninjed me :p

A real CAI is where the air filter (usually conical in shape) is placed in a area isolated from the heat of the engine. That usually means in the fender well for best results.

Ttop191 11-30-2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philbar71 (Post 566894)
Ahh, you ninjed me :p

A real CAI is where the air filter (usually conical in shape) is placed in a area isolated from the heat of the engine. That usually means in the fender well for best results.

or...

03Sleepr 11-30-2010 12:13 AM

I wonder how well that worked when it rained...:rolleyes2: