Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The final 500 suspension (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38853)

tw0123 03-24-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyblue (Post 665877)
Thanks! it kills me to see these new parts sitting around and not on the her...But When I don't want to start replacing stuff till I have every piece to the puzzle.

You sound like me but then i get impatient and half ass stuff then have to redo it to get it right... My car is half torn apart again to fix things and hopefully get her out again this spring for a few trips then get down to work on finishing everything... The goal is to have her back to one colour before next winter...

aleros_eat_rice 03-25-2017 08:09 AM

Gonna ride smooth as silk when it's all said and done.

Babyblue 03-25-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 665878)
You sound like me but then i get impatient and half ass stuff then have to redo it to get it right... My car is half torn apart again to fix things and hopefully get her out again this spring for a few trips then get down to work on finishing everything... The goal is to have her back to one colour before next winter...

I can't wait to see the finishing product!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleros_eat_rice (Post 665879)
Gonna ride smooth as silk when it's all said and done.

That's the plan!

Just a small update...I jacked up the rear end and started spraying the bolts holding all the suspension parts with pb blaster to break some of the rust down on the bolts. I decided to take a look at my parking brake cables because the driver side doesn't seem to hold when the brake is up. From what I saw, the cable is seized and doesn't do a thing when the parking brake is up or down. So I went ahead and ordered two new cables, because why replace just one?

03Alerosil 03-26-2017 08:10 AM

of course. Might as well replace both while you're under there doing everything else and all the suspension pieces are out of the way.

Papa Rad17 03-27-2017 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyblue (Post 665877)
Thanks! it kills me to see these new parts sitting around and not on the her...But When I don't want to start replacing stuff till I have every piece to the puzzle.

It'll be fun. I'm doing all those parts + calipers tie, rod ends, fuel pump, valve cover gasket, so on on the intrigue. It's so much easier to work on than the alero. Sway bar bushings are easy to get to go to, took 20 minuets for them all. I have access to a hydrolic press and drill press at work so I replaced the ball joints and bushings on the control arms. Never again, you were smart just getting new arms.

Babyblue 03-27-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 665925)
It'll be fun. I'm doing all those parts + calipers tie, rod ends, fuel pump, valve cover gasket, so on on the intrigue. It's so much easier to work on than the alero. Sway bar bushings are easy to get to go to, took 20 minuets for them all. I have access to a hydrolic press and drill press at work so I replaced the ball joints and bushings on the control arms. Never again, you were smart just getting new arms.

I'm really excited to get started. Just need the rack and some sway bar bushings in the rear. Money is a little tight after buying all those parts so I have to wait to buy the rack. Also it would be silly to put in all those parts and not replace the rack..The car has 235k on it and that rack looks like it has about that many miles on it too. But I wanted to polish my aluminum control arms and insert new bushings from babyblue and use them. I started a new shift at work so I'm finding it hard to make time for myself lately. When I do start working on her and replacing all the parts I will be posting TONS of pictures of before and after, and the car itself etc.

Babyblue 03-28-2017 07:29 PM

Got the new parking brake lines in! I might just put these on this weekend with the rear wheel bearings, rotors, and pads. Get a little jump start on the project.

Babyblue 04-03-2017 01:51 AM

Okay, I went ahead and replaced the rear wheel bearings, parking brake lines, rotors, and pads. While I was at that I cleaned up as much as I could. There was a lot of brake dust, grease etc on everything. Also before anyone says anything about how bad the old components/parts are...I know. I did not have a whole lot of money to throw around. It took me awhile to save after getting the six speed put in there. Anyways, Here are pictures of the work I did. There are a lot of them...
Old and New Rotors

Old and New Parking Brake lines

While I was down there I went ahead and sanded down and painted where the parking brake cables get inserted. I didn't get a before picture but it was pretty rusty.

Old and New Brake Pads

New Brake hardware

These next few will be some before and after of the heat shield, Parking Brake bracket, and caliper brackets.

Here is a pic of all the bolts and parking brake cylinder cleaned up

I did find out I did need to order new springs for the parking brake....

Old and New wheel bearings.

New Parking brake cables on.

New setup on...

And when I was under there Look what I found! Something doesn't look right...

That's all I got for now. I hope you enjoyed checking out the pictures and the work I have been putting into the car. There is much more to do and I'm looking forward to doing it!!!

tw0123 04-03-2017 08:30 AM

Those laterals look toast!!! Are you upgrading to the w body rear lateral arms? I got mine off rock auto for $130 cdn shipped to my door... Just a thought since you're upgrading everything ;)

Babyblue 04-03-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 665965)
Those laterals look toast!!! Are you upgrading to the w body rear lateral arms? I got mine off rock auto for $130 cdn shipped to my door... Just a thought since you're upgrading everything ;)

I did order some and I just went with stock for now.

Babyblue 04-18-2017 08:06 PM

Before I get into the work, I never want to replace a rack again lol. There is no room what so ever down there. I will first post pictures of the rear end. Some before and afters. Comparison pictures etc.

Bent ass lateral arm...

Okay, There are some pics of the rear end...If you would like more let me know! Here are some of the front end work....

Here some other random things I did. More of a clean up in the engine bay and some repainting to make the engine bay look cleaner...

Polished the t-stat housing a little.

Some Before

And some after shots of everything painted and finished...

Babyblue 04-18-2017 08:07 PM

A picture of her the other day after being cleaned up a little,

And just for the fun of it a picture of my two favorite dogs..

Raven

Magnum

Well there ya have it! the whole suspension is replaced front and back! after getting her alignment it was a joy to drive down the road. I'm looking forward to starting my next BIG project on this car. It makes me happy to be able to bring one of the final 500 back to life again!

tw0123 04-19-2017 09:48 AM

Nice job Parker!!!

So what's next?

Babyblue 04-19-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 666019)
Nice job Parker!!!

So what's next?

I would like to get interior cleaned up. But engine wise exhaust. I'm gonna try to get that done in the next few weeks.

Papa Rad17 07-10-2017 03:35 AM

I know what you mean about the rack. I replaced mine shortly after the homecoming you brought the blue one too. When I installed the non-exsistant front sway bar I ended up taking it back out to slide the bar in, then re-stalling. I'm over doing work like that. I also replaced a trailing arm bent like yours, what on earth were people doing with these cars!
Looking good :thumb:

03Alerosil 07-10-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 666218)
I know what you mean about the rack. I replaced mine shortly after the homecoming you brought the blue one too. When I installed the non-exsistant front sway bar I ended up taking it back out to slide the bar in, then re-stalling. I'm over doing work like that. I also replaced a trailing arm bent like yours, what on earth were people doing with these cars!
Looking good :thumb:

People think the trailing arm and the lateral links are good pull points to get out of a situation where they are stuck. I see it all the time. I had to replace a lateral link on my Alero because of this. Driver rear one. Funny thing is, the aftermarket link is thicker and has a better bushing than the factory one.

JoshParsons84 07-05-2018 08:21 PM

First of all lemme tip my hat to u sir. That's an amazing amount of work and it looks sooo clean I'm so impressed. It's exactly the project I've been attempting for a year and a half LMAO. I was wondering what brand of struts u went with. I also have the quick strut my fronts are Moog Problem Solver. I was gonna do the whole suspension in Moog Problem Solver. Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions please. Thanx!