Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Putting LED's in headlights (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18614)

jayson_waltz 07-29-2007 11:31 PM

Putting LED's in headlights

As the title says, i'm in the process of putting in LED's to backlight the high beam spot on my headlights. I don't know why i broke down and did this, after clearing my corners I swore i'd never take the headlights apart again, but i did. Has anybody else ever done this? I'll post more pics when i actually get them back in the car. Only got 1 partially done right now. I'll post more pics when I get totally done. NOTE: THE FOLLOWING PIC IS ONLY HOOKED UP TO A 9V BATTERY, NOT A 12V.

bizarre179 07-29-2007 11:45 PM

Yeah. Its been done, and with a tutorial. Look it up in the how to section.

DUSTIN0285 07-29-2007 11:45 PM

Looks good man...... so good i think im going to do it too, lol

jayson_waltz 07-29-2007 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre179 (Post 293073)
Yeah. Its been done, and with a tutorial. Look it up in the how to section.

oops well i guess that was a dumb question then. It was every cherry, jeez i need to do research b4 i post. anyways, i'm doing it a little different than him. The LED's will be hidden.

clutch1 07-30-2007 02:31 AM

Great mod to do, especially if you like glow. I did mine but it was way more BS-y with some LED pod things form AutoZone. I know the error of my ways now, there's LEDs in the Park Ave headlights.
But anywho, those sure look like they're gonna be bright, hard to pick out where the LED is exactly, too, which is usually super obvious. Good job!

adam337 07-30-2007 02:37 AM

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...t=backlit+leds

cherrington17 07-30-2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayson_waltz (Post 293077)
oops well i guess that was a dumb question then. It was every cherry, jeez i need to do research b4 i post. anyways, i'm doing it a little different than him. The LED's will be hidden.

Yeah... mine were half assed just to get a how to on there. I would not be against someone posting pics of how to hide the leds better. I'm positive i'm gonna pull mine out... they don't work (for unknown reasons) and i'm tired of looking at them in the end of the headlight. No-one else sees them... but i do.

what kind of info were you looking for? I wired my ground right to the ground in the front bumper assembly (right near the battery) and then ran the power into a switch next to my steering wheel.

TheMeaningOfLife 07-30-2007 10:34 AM

With mine i just drilled a hole that was just a teeeeenyy tinnny bit smaller then the led, then i sanded down the top flat so when i pushed and sealed the LED into the headlight it was flush with the lense.

jayson_waltz 07-30-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 293116)
Yeah... mine were half assed just to get a how to on there. I would not be against someone posting pics of how to hide the leds better. I'm positive i'm gonna pull mine out... they don't work (for unknown reasons) and i'm tired of looking at them in the end of the headlight. No-one else sees them... but i do.

what kind of info were you looking for? I wired my ground right to the ground in the front bumper assembly (right near the battery) and then ran the power into a switch next to my steering wheel.

I mounted 2 flat top led's under the bezel pointing back into the reflector. That picture is only 1 and a 9V bat. So its gonna be bright as hell, damn near blue shining onto the road.

and to the info part, i wasn't really looking for any, i just said i should have reasearched b\c it felt kinda stupid asking if anybody had done it b4 when there was alreasy a how-to i didn't see.
1st pic. is a bad pic. of where i mounted them.
2nd pic. shows that you can't even see where i put them.

cherrington17 07-30-2007 12:04 PM

the only thing is.. w/ LED since they are bright, but very low wattage.... you won't see any blue reflecting back infront of the car... and absolutely none on the road.

if you turned those on... AND has your headlights on.... the headlights would overrule in a bad way. you can connect it to 12v w/ a resistor in line, so its only 9V going to the led... if you want it to only stay that bright...

Silentalero 07-30-2007 12:20 PM

eh leds are just accent lighting anyway so they dont have to be perfectly aimed or anything. Just toss em in there and make sure it fills the headlights assembly...i forgot where the pic is but i had em in there for a while to.

jayson_waltz 07-30-2007 12:53 PM

The shining onto the road was an exaggeration. They will be bright as hell tho, there is two 14,000 mcd led's in each spot.

jayson_waltz 07-31-2007 01:00 AM

finally got done with these and let the silicone dry. I like them, think they look really good.
1st pic: Hidden LED
2nd pic: On in the light
3rd pic: On in the dark
4th pic: They do work as headlights, they really do! :lol: jk

clutch1 07-31-2007 02:58 AM

Lol, nice HIDs :P

Looks good man, really bright!

steve-o 07-31-2007 07:31 AM

looks good except for the bra ;)

Cyber Knight 07-31-2007 11:25 AM

That looks f'n nice, good job man!

roberto57 08-01-2007 04:21 PM

They look great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-o (Post 293269)

All ho's look better without a bra.:scpimp:

jayson_waltz 08-01-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-o (Post 293269)

yeah, if I had owed the car from new, it wouldn't have a bra. The owner b4 me must not have taken very good care of it, b\c the bumper has half of the paint missing from scraping stuff and the bottom part of the hood has rock chips. So I just leave it on.