Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Audio, Video & Security (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ipod integration or AUX input to '04 Alero? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32840)

thegoat54 11-15-2010 10:26 PM

Ipod integration or AUX input to '04 Alero?

Any suggestions?

I don't want to swap the stereo because i don't want a break in.

cherrington17 11-15-2010 10:29 PM

cheap way? aftermarket radio

expensive way? aftermarket radio

Best way??? Aftermarket radio

03Sleepr 11-15-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegoat54 (Post 565222)
Any suggestions?

I don't want to swap the stereo because i don't want a break in.

get a stereo with a removable faceplate....problem solved

here, nobody will steal this

if they do you really should find a new neighborhood

cherrington17 11-15-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Sleepr (Post 565226)
get a stereo with a removable faceplate....problem solved

here, nobody will steal this

if they do you really should find a new neighborhood

if someone steals that... you need to get out of 1989 and back to 2010!

anywho..... seriously though. Unless your obnoxiously blasting your music and therefore putting a big neon sign on your roof that says "I HAVE STUFF TO STEAL" you'll be fine.

In unfamiliar(or bad) neighborhoods, I turn it down. I have stuff worth stealing and have never had a problem.

Greencoupe2.2 11-15-2010 11:12 PM

If you really want to keep that stock piece of junk you could get an FM MODULATOR with the two required antenna adapters one from antena to standard motorola plug and one fom standard motorla plug to gm plug to plug it back in try seaching metras website for the correct model numers. just seach fm modulator and you will see what it is, but like said before aftermarket is the most practical way to go

cherrington17 11-15-2010 11:18 PM

Just be forewarned... FM modulators... sound like CRAP.

your not going to get anything other than FM quality sounf from them. (which is 92kbps... regular CD quality is 192, and mp3 HIGH quality is 320)

if you have a discriminate ear, you'll want to kill yourself. If you don't, then by all means go ahead.

jayson_waltz 11-15-2010 11:28 PM

i hate fm transmitters. I do own one to use when i need to like old vehicles or work vehicles but it sounds horrible. just get an aftermarket radio with a removable faceplate. You can try some other options:
http://www.pac-audio.com/productSear...2004&YearId=15
But for the price why not just get a good stereo.

Shiwnath 11-16-2010 12:33 AM

If your car has a tape deck, you could get one of those cassette to headphone jack adapters, but just like the FM transmitter, it'll probably sound like crap. It's a cheap solution if you dont want to change the deck. But like everyone else, I suggest an aftermarket deck. This is what I'm talking about:

Gr1m 11-16-2010 02:12 AM

actually those cassette adapters are better then the FM transmitters. thats probably the cheapest way to do what you want.

Cliff8928 11-16-2010 02:16 AM

LOL @ all of the comments...

It depends on what radio you have stock, but you should be able to add a iPod connection that can be controlled by the factory radio.

jayson_waltz 11-16-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff8928 (Post 565269)
It depends on what radio you have stock, but you should be able to add a iPod connection that can be controlled by the factory radio.

Like the link I posted...

Cliff8928 11-16-2010 03:09 AM

Yeah, but not all of the radios have the 12-pin connector for the auxiliary devices.

Greencoupe2.2 11-16-2010 09:57 PM

Its not an fm transmititer its an fm modulator, It connects directly to the antenna port, so it has to sound better than a transmitter, but I doubt its the best, I wouldnt know how they sound because ive never used one.

03Sleepr 11-16-2010 10:05 PM

yea...but then you have no radio...and how am I going to listen to the news with no radio??

Greencoupe2.2 11-16-2010 10:10 PM

the radio passes through it the anntena thats why you need two antenna adapters, but again ive never used one

Christato71 11-16-2010 11:00 PM

Yeah just do what everyone else says, get an aftermarket radio with a removable faceplate. You'll be glad you did.

jayson_waltz 11-16-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greencoupe2.2 (Post 565387)
the radio passes through it the anntena thats why you need two antenna adapters, but again ive never used one

correct, you just turn the radio to a station the modulator is set too, say 88.7, and it will play the aux source plugged into it. better than transmitter, but its still limited to normal FM "quality". Gonna sound like crap to someone who cares.

thegoat54 01-22-2011 11:09 AM

Whoa! Back from the dead!

Thanks for the great replies everyone. I totally understand about the fact that the best thing to do is go after market for a radio. The problem is that I know multiple people (including my girlfriend) who had aftermarket radios WITH removable face plates and they've had break ins just to see if the faceplate is in there.

My girlfriend had her window smashed in and the contents of her glove box and center console thrown around the whole car. (her CDs were also stolen from the glove box). Yeah they left the stereo because there was no faceplate for them, but I still had one hell of a mess to clean, and an afternoon of changing glass.

Its just not something I want to do.

I like the iPod to Car option. I'll look into that.

robalero 01-22-2011 12:49 PM

you my friend live in a terrible area.

thegoat54 01-22-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robalero (Post 572686)
you my friend live in a terrible area.

I had a break in myself around Christmas time. I had a plastic bag in the back seat from "The Source" (Radio Shack). It had my dirty clothes in it. But they broke in anyway and took the change from my ask tray. I'm guessing they must have thought there was electronics in the bag. My fault I guess . . .

Also, my friend that had a break in before my girlfriend just kept his faceplate under the passenger seat . . . they found it and proceeded to destroy the dash board to take the stereo out.

Again they broke in JUST to see if it was hidden in there. This is why I'd rather just keep the factory stuff and hook my iPod into it.