Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   alignment or wait (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23425)

Alerosaint 08-13-2008 09:35 PM

alignment or wait

I just finished lowering my car...should I take it to get aligned asap or should I wait till its settled????

Midgear 08-13-2008 09:41 PM

I stuck eibach springs on my car and never got an alignment.. wheel stays straight and doesnt pull anywhere.. so I guess it's good-

Alerosaint 08-13-2008 09:45 PM

no excessive tread wear or nuthin huh

Midgear 08-13-2008 09:50 PM

^^^ I can only chuckle at that one.. I've boiled rubber since I put those springs on- only to prove my point that my "granny cars" traction control doesnt work.

shoulda seen the look on their faces when that sheet of thick solid white smoke came seeping from the body lines on the hood-

[ion] C2 08-13-2008 09:55 PM

alignment = totally necessary according to most people, i dunno. i don't want to have to take my side skirts off again for a shop to use their damn chassis lifts.

you put them on yourself? i have a set of Sprint springs sitting here

Midgear 08-13-2008 09:56 PM

^^^ dude.. put them on your car for the love of all that is holy.. and then go get an alignment lol

once I figured out how to get the spring off the strut.. it was pie, first one took me about 2 hours LOL.. the rest took me around 15 minutes each

doubleN0alero 08-13-2008 10:28 PM

I dunno..I had one done and I didn't have to take anything off to have it done. I had to call around to find a place that would do an alignment on a lowered car...that wasn't easy to begin with. The place that did it actually had 3 pieces of 2X6 nailed together like steps that they drove my car up to get it on the lift.

Alerosaint 08-13-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 378732)
alignment = totally necessary according to most people, i dunno. i don't want to have to take my side skirts off again for a shop to use their damn chassis lifts.

sure did...wasnt that bad really ...i actually pulled up the how to on the forum on my cellphone and used it as a guide...heh heh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midgear (Post 378733)
^^^ dude.. put them on your car for the love of all that is holy.. and then go get an alignment lol

once I figured out how to get the spring off the strut.. it was cake, first one took me about 2 hours LOL.. the rest took me around 15 minutes each

the first one did take me 2 hours, cause i had to learn how to take off the spring and made sure the springs were lined up right but after that it was not cake but pie....lol...just putting the bolt into the knuckle, getting it lined up was a pain in the arse...the last one kicked my butt to...i was spent

Midgear 08-13-2008 10:45 PM

omg.. thank you for pointing out the cake thing. *edits above post*

JOEY GLADSTONE 08-13-2008 11:03 PM

you dont need to take off your skirts for the lift, in most cases you need to take off the front bumper unless you use wood blocks to get it up

Cliff8928 08-14-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 378732)

Alignment racks have the ramps they drive on. No need to remove the rocker moldings.

[ion] C2 08-14-2008 03:20 PM

hmm maybe i was just thinking about the install, if i had a shop install em they'd likely use those same crappy lifts as Midas at ASS so they can take off the wheels and mess with the springs easily

i don't know how to install springs, lul. and i know it's not going to go smoothly, nothing rusted ever does. i thought you had to be like super careful and have a friend or two because the spring needs to be super compressed and whatever. and the old one could fly off or something.

Midgear 08-14-2008 03:22 PM

^^ entire strut has to come off the car.. that's what I did anyways.. strut, mount, spring.. all of it- I was able to move my wheel (still mounted on the car) up and down quite a distance lol

[ion] C2 08-14-2008 03:26 PM

make a how-to yo

Midgear 08-14-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 378939)
make a how-to yo

I'd much rather not pull it apart again.. if I dont have to-

mabey if I get some KYB struts i'll make a how to for it all over again :lol:

[ion] C2 08-14-2008 03:31 PM

don't need pictures just description of what to do in what order lol

don't you need a spring compressor or something?

Midgear 08-14-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 378941)
don't you need a spring compressor or something?

yes.. that's the biggest bitch of the entire job is compressing that spring to get it off the strut.. we almost launched a spring through my cousins WALL because one of the compressors slipped lol

[ion] C2 08-14-2008 03:37 PM

which is why i'm waiting to spend $200 on having it pro-installed

FrankTheTank 08-14-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 378943)
which is why i'm waiting to spend $200 on having it pro-installed

you're throwing $200 away then. just go to auto zone and barrow one of their spring compressors.
1) remove struts from car
2) put spring compressor on spring to keep spring de-energized.
3) remove nut that keeps top of strut and bearing plate assembled.
4) remove spring from strut and undo spring compressor
5) compress lowering spring and place on strut
6) attach bearing plate to top of strut with spring compressed on strut
7) remove spring compressor from spring
8) reinstall strut
9) send me $100

[ion] C2 08-14-2008 04:30 PM

hmmm.