Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   2.4 black one in Europe (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36575)

estalero 12-10-2012 09:48 AM

2.4 black one in Europe

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys!

I'm in a very small Eastern Europe country where there is probably like 20 Aleros. I bought a month ago a nice looking black 2.4 stickshift Alero from auction, with minor rear damage, which I will fix myself. I already fixed it to driving condition. It is rebadged as Chevy by European dealer as they all were, when sold as new here.

It is produced in 2001 according to VIN, and registered in january 2003 as a new car here, so it is 2002 in US terms is it?

It has driven 133k km (83k miles) and has paint and interior in rather good condition (except the chip on front spoiler). Although those photos doesn't do justice to it. It has some small issues I'm planning to fix one by one. One of them are weird radio knobs I described in this thread:
http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36565

If anybody knows how to remove volume and tune knobs from radio without breaking anything, pleas contribute.

Henry

03glgold 12-10-2012 09:56 AM

nice car...that is strange that a 2003 has the 2.4l as it ended production at least in the u.s aleros with the 2001 so not quite sure how to answer your equivilancy question.

estalero 12-10-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03glgold (Post 628992)
nice car...that is strange that a 2003 has the 2.4l as it ended production at least in the u.s aleros with the 2001 so not quite sure how to answer your equivilancy question.

Goolge search and VIN decoder gave me the following information:
Factory / Manufacturer Lansing - South Plant, MI
Mark Chevrolet
Model Alero
Year 2001
Body sedan
Doors 4-door
Engine 2400 cm3
Fuel Type Petrol
Serial Number 210727

So I guess it was sitting on atlantic ocean and in different wholesale and dealer stocks for 2 years before first registration

sleepyalero 12-10-2012 10:14 AM

i want to import a black alero here cause it has chevy emblems lol

03glgold 12-10-2012 10:19 AM

Well i guess that is good information to learn...Also the black box is the factory amp and you have the monsoon system...Makes it a PITA to change back speakers using factory wiring but can be done... It also makes it more difficult to put in aftermarket deck

estalero 12-10-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 628994)
i want to import a black alero here cause it has chevy emblems lol

There is only one Chevy badge, that is glued to the front - it looks quiet ugly. There is Chevy script on the bootlid. Rear Olds bagde is removed and Olds emblems on steeringwheel and wheels are still there as you can see on the photos.

So what you really are trying to say is that you would pay to not own a car rebadged that terribly, is it?
:coolio:

sleepyalero 12-10-2012 10:50 AM

well you also gotta see you have some features we dont here in the US.

for example you have the euro style headlights (which can be found rarely on ebay) and you also have side marker lights on your front fenders. we here dont have that.

imagine that, 9 in stock..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi... d=78734134499

estalero 12-10-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 628997)
you also have side marker lights on your front fenders

Those are actually turn lights only. Side marker lights is US thing. European cars don't have them, except Volvos - but I guess that Volvo guys were just too lazy to make too much difference for US and Euro models.

sleepyalero 12-10-2012 11:17 AM

still :p a feature we dont have :)

estalero 12-10-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 629001)

OK you won, I'll send my Chevy your way and you send your Olds my way - at least I get rid of those weird radio knobs...
:rolleyes2:

JLw7123 12-10-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 629001)

He can also adjust the headlights from inside the car.

03Sleepr 12-10-2012 11:59 AM

nice car and welcome! I wish I could wire up my euro lights so I could adjust them....

(psssst, trade sleepy! it's a great deal on your end!)

happyisthealero 12-10-2012 12:44 PM

Tell you what Est. I will send you a couple gold emblems for free! if you pay for shipping! I cant stand seeing that stupid chevy symbol!

xXManwhoreXx 12-10-2012 02:48 PM

That's a deal!

sleepyalero 12-10-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estalero (Post 629003)
OK you won, I'll send my Chevy your way and you send your Olds my way - at least I get rid of those weird radio knobs...
:rolleyes2:

idk, ive got around 8 grand in my car right now.... if she was stock and with no 6 speed trans maybe lol

Redog 12-10-2012 10:47 PM

Nice car.

BTW I have the euro headlights too, Never bothered with the electric adjust thou. I guess I could wire something up if I wanted to ;)

That01Olds 12-11-2012 03:05 AM

Welcome to the site and nice car.

estalero 12-11-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLw7123 (Post 629006)
He can also adjust the headlights from inside the car.

That feature is mandatory for new cars in European Union

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 629025)
idk, ive got around 8 grand in my car right now.... if she was stock and with no 6 speed trans maybe lol

As you DON'T have adjustable headlights, I have to drop my offer also. I've used that feature about 3 times in 10 years, so I really don't know how to live without it ;)
And one minor obstacle is that transport + taxes would cost about the same as my car here right now...

So it was nice not doing business with you!
:p

sleepyalero 12-11-2012 04:44 AM

excellent lol. how much did you pay for the alero since you said its "rare" over there?

estalero 12-11-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyisthealero (Post 629008)
Tell you what Est. I will send you a couple gold emblems for free! if you pay for shipping! I cant stand seeing that stupid chevy symbol!

I thought about that already as Chevy is rather devalued after they started selling Korean Daewoos under Chevy badge here.

But unfortunately there is an HOLE under that Chevy badge. It seems that they at Oldsmobile factory just CUT out the Olds badge and glued Chevy badge over the hole. Neat, isn't it? :mad2: :bs:

So I have to leave it alone, if I don't want to replace the full front bumper...
But thanks for the offer, Happyis!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 629039)
excellent lol. how much did you pay for the alero since you said its "rare" over there?

Being rare does not boost Aleros price here though. If we exclude the classics, used American cars will devalue here in Europe much quicker than German or Japanese cars. They are on bar with Italian and French cars, when used. Italians and French have yet to make a one car that is reliable as second hand car. When in good condition, the value of my Alero would be here about 2500€ - $3100. But you have to account that all cars here in Europe, new and used, are significanlty more expensive than they are in US, mostly because of the taxes.

I got it much cheaper as I bought it with some rear damaga from insurance auction.