Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Brakes, Brake Lines, and Bushings... (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19687)

Eh_nigma 10-24-2007 12:37 PM

Brakes, Brake Lines, and Bushings...

Hey everyone... I hope to see this as the continuation of the Alero Project.

I want to start doing my research now, as the next step in this Alero Project after the interior is going to be under the car, as the title says, Brakes, Brake Lines, and Bushings... so for those of you who have done some things, have some advice or input, I'll start this thread off by giving my plan:

Taking as many of the stock parts as I can, and cleaning them up (Sandblasting, and then either painting/sealing them, or rock-guarding them). Replace the sway bars with something a bit more... stiff. All bushings replaced, new rotors, brake lines, wheels and rims. At the same time cleaning up any rust/corrosion underneath the car, rock guarding as much as can be, and cleaning up all the parts (Ie., fuel tank, fuel pumps, etc., etc...).

I want to do this part of the car next, as I forsee it being much, MUCH easier than the interior, quicker, and a hell of a lot cheaper than the last part of the project. So! Time for homework.

Starting with the rotors. This car won't be a 1/4 mile car, by any stretch of the imagination. A bit more than a daily driver though, with that in mind, I was looking at going with the slotted rotors, matching up with stock size of what I have right now. Any recommendations as to companies, as I'm sure that they aren't all the same. I was personally looking at the Power Slot Front and Rear Rotors available on PFYC.

Bushings - I'll be honest, I don't know shit about bushings for this car. So, what would be the best set/company to look for?

Brake Lines - anything out there like this: http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA4006/ALSUSP...and+Alero.html, but for the GX?

That's... yeah, that's about it. Thanks, and, yeah, very soon we'll see this start coming together. *Time wise, once all the parts are collected, I'm taking some vacation time, and I see this all happening between one to two months.

Edge.

Satsuriku 10-24-2007 12:44 PM

damn man your at it again now!!!! shit you'll never stop hahaha

i have R1 cross slotted rotors from ebay and they have treated me very very well thus far and ive had them for over a year now and you'll last quite a bit longer :)

alerored04 10-24-2007 12:50 PM

ditto on the R1 concepts. Great rotors. I have Bendix ceramic pads and have had the combo for two years without an issue. Stopping power is great, and no brake dust!

Eh_nigma 10-24-2007 06:18 PM

Are talking about these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Oldsmobile-Alero-...QQcmdZViewItem

And would you guys mind, if you have them, post up a pic of the R1's?

freakout 10-24-2007 07:38 PM

If you are looking for bigger brakes you can do it using stock parts. Impala rotors, the brackets from a camaro and either camaro or Z06 vette calipers.

Mischief007 10-24-2007 07:40 PM

Are you staying with 16" wheels/tires all the time or moving up? If moving up, you might want to consider going for a big brake upgrade.

Eh_nigma 10-24-2007 07:49 PM

I'm tossing around 18" and 17"... I'm just curious as to whether the Grand Am GT Brake line kit from PFYC (Goodridge), is going to fit on an Alero GX...

alerored04 10-24-2007 10:52 PM

Here is a pic. If you have four wheel discs the goodridge lines for a gagt should work. There is no difference in the braking systems as long as you dont have drums. And yes that link is to the correct company.

DUSTIN0285 10-24-2007 11:22 PM

^ are those rotors on backwards???

Vinalero 10-24-2007 11:41 PM

I have R1 concept too since the beginning of the summer, awesome product for the price. I've ordered slotted and drilled rotors that were zinc plated. I took some semi-metallic to go with those. Solid braking and no shaking in the steering wheel when high speed braking. So far its one of the best investment I made on my Alero.

The only down side is the shipping time of the company, took me 6 weeks to recieve my brakes and they werent even B/O.

Eh_nigma 10-24-2007 11:45 PM

Thanks for the pic, and thanks for the review of the rotors. So, I've got the rotors hammered out, brake lines, and as we speak, I'm just hammering something out with Mantapart for their swaybars (30mm Front, 26mm Rear), and getting confirmation on their Lower Sports Suspension Brace and Strut Tower Brackets.

Still in the air about bushings though...

Eh_nigma 10-24-2007 11:45 PM

This is crazy, it's 9:45 here in Wainwright, and I'm getting e-mails back from them answering my questions in pretty good detail... nice...

alerored04 10-24-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUSTIN0285 (Post 311282)
^ are those rotors on backwards???

Technically yes but in reality it doesnt matter. I realized it after i had everything back together and did not want to redo it.

Eh_nigma 10-24-2007 11:55 PM

So, they don't have sway-bars at the moment, which is just fine with me, like I said, I'm doing my homework right now. BUT, they should, should... have them in a month or so. None the less... as far as I can see, these will be the ones I want (size wise at least), unless someone has any advice on it that I haven't received yet.

Thanks again for the help thus far.

Mischief007 10-25-2007 12:37 AM

If you are tossing around the idea of 18s or 17s, I'd seriously go with a bigger brake upgrade. The fronts can be done with GM parts. Ask Cliff aka Ecotec5. Red 2 door coupe. He has it on his Alero,

Eh_nigma 10-25-2007 12:54 AM

Oh really? Even though this is just going to be, basically, a sunday driver that I don't punch out too often?

Mischief007 10-25-2007 11:31 AM

I would. I don't think it is too expensive. Are you going to be driving it in the winter as well or will that be a no-no for this car?

There is nothing wrong with R1s because I have them on the car as well and am very happy with it but I'd definitely go for a bigger upgrade if I had to do it again.

alero440 10-25-2007 11:45 AM

DBA rotors and Status brake pads. Status is a new company, but my boyfriend swears by them. He had them on his 3000GT VR-4. he has then on his civic, along with DBA rotors on his 240SX.

Generally stick with slotted rotors. The drilling process can make the rotors weak and they can crack.

alerored04 10-25-2007 03:52 PM

camaro rotors and calipers work on the front. You do need a 17" to clear them but they look really nice and fill out larger wheels much better than stock brakes.

Eh_nigma 10-25-2007 04:15 PM

After talking with Cliff, and getting some good advice as well as information, going with either 17 or 18's (haven't decided on rims yet), but, going with exactly what Cliff has done, and what Mischief has suggested, the larger front end brakes, parts list, and it's tentative right now, but seems to be:

98-02 fbody caliper brackets (front) (P/N: 18026163)
97-04 Corvette calipers - Red (zo6) calipers: (P/N: 88895128)(P/N: 88895129)
98-02 fbody brake pads (front)
97-02 corvette anti-rattle clip,
and for the rotors:
00-05 Impala rotors (front).

For the rotors, I was looking at the R1Concepts:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CHEVROLET-IMPALA-...QQcmdZViewItem

Note: The reason I keep posting up the parts & part numbers, is just in case someone has any ideas or experience with this, to hopefully confirm or guide me in my selection of parts to make sure this works...

Now, I have heard, as 440 said, that the cross drilled rotors do give people problems... for a vehicle that is going to be used as mine will be when it's finished (no winter, little to no 1/4 mile, just, basically a fun Sunday driver), Would cracked or warped rotors be something likely to happen? Or should I really not be concerned about it?

As for Rims, they will be 17 or 18, like mentioned. What I'm looking for is something simple. Nothing Chrome, wouldn't mind gunmetal or brushed aluminium, but what I'm likely to do is while I have this suspension project on the go, just get a set of 4 steelies that are the right size, and wait out until the body work and paint job is finished to be able to match up the rims to the car.