Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   LA1 3400 Specific (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   coolant flush (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36296)

falloutboy 08-22-2012 11:39 AM

coolant flush

Hi I've read some post here about coolant flushing.
I have some additional questions.
As my system is really messed up, I plan on letting the car run while having the water hose t-ed in one of the heater core hoses or any coolant hose I can get to conveniently.
As a closed system will build pressure pretty quick, which part do I leave open?
The bleeder screw on top of the waterpump or the reservoir cap?

how about T-ing in in hose #26 or #14?

as # 15 and #16 are going to be pretty hart to reach.

About back flushing. How to do that exactly?

unchained01 08-23-2012 11:35 AM

Leave the thermostat out.

falloutboy 08-23-2012 12:03 PM

thats for certain, but where to T in?
and what leave open to get the crud out?

rustyballs_69 08-23-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 623703)

Just take the t stat out, put the housing back on, then move clamp #7 and pull the hose off the t stat housing and put the garden hose in the radiator hose. Turn your water on and start the engine.

Redog 08-23-2012 09:07 PM

"T"ing temp sensors doesn't work too well. The probe has to be in liquid to read correctly. If your T runs coolant across it, it might work.

Never had any luck "T" ing a temp sensor

rustyballs_69 08-23-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 623822)
"T"ing temp sensors doesn't work too well. The probe has to be in liquid to read correctly. If your T runs coolant across it, it might work.

Never had any luck "T" ing a temp sensor

He isn't "T" a temp sensor in Ken, just trying to flush everything out. I think you skimmed or your getting threads mixed up:lol:

falloutboy 08-24-2012 02:31 AM

oh well never did a little thread mixing hurt anybody :)

Well the lower hose gonna be pretty hard to reach, as the car is gonna be on an incline.
I'd prefer one of the upper hoses and might open the reservoir to get it all out, and later on do a reverse flush.
Cause Dexcool is really gummed up bad.

falloutboy 08-28-2012 12:52 PM

is it mandatory to remove the exhaust cross over if I remove the thermostat?
or is there just enough room to wiggle it out without removing something else what needs a gasket?

rustyballs_69 08-28-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 624138)
is it mandatory to remove the exhaust cross over if I remove the thermostat?
or is there just enough room to wiggle it out without removing something else what needs a gasket?

You can get it out without taking anything else off, just a pain in the ass.

falloutboy 08-29-2012 03:23 AM

:eek: another PITA job at the LA1 :eek:

:p

falloutboy 10-20-2012 02:11 PM

rusty, how in hell did you get the lower screw of the thermostat housing open without removing the throttlebody or exhaus crossover or any of the cooling pipes?
I barely got to the upper screw with my 1/4" ratchet and unscrewed it but getting this bolt off is still a long way, and the lower isn't even cracked open yet.

And how did you get housing off, there is just a couple mm room to wiggle it, before the exhaust shield is in the way.

I would appreciate a hint before tomorrow, as the car has to be running by Sunday evening.

Thx

AleroB888 10-20-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falloutboy (Post 626338)
rusty, how in hell did you get the lower screw of the thermostat housing open without removing the throttlebody or exhaus crossover or any of the cooling pipes?
I barely got to the upper screw with my 1/4" ratchet and unscrewed it but getting this bolt off is still a long way, and the lower isn't even cracked open yet.

And how did you get housing off, there is just a couple mm room to wiggle it, before the exhaust shield is in the way.

I would appreciate a hint before tomorrow, as the car has to be running by Sunday evening.

Thx

Lower opening on housing is a slot, not a hole, at least on mine. Loosen the bolt and the flange pulls off.

falloutboy 10-20-2012 03:31 PM

I just got it off, a video on youtube helped a lot - first time in my life.
but not its 9:30 pm and pitch black outside, so flushing the way I wanted to doesn't work anymore, have to do it in the garage and in a controlled manner somehow.
suggestions