Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ACDelco PF47 v PF52 (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33137)

Redog 12-30-2010 03:23 AM

ACDelco PF47 v PF52

Hey crew!!

I was strongly thinking about using a PF52 filter on my next oil change. In fact, I'm going to do it. The PF52 is longer and has only 1/4 increased volume than the PF47. This will also be for my mom's 2002 Cavalier (2.2 OHV LN4)

After reseaching this, there are guys that have used this filter on 3100 Malibu's and one case of a 2000 Sunfire with the 2.2. They fit the block just fine, they are longer than the 47 and the guy with the Sunfire (his wife's car) said that it's easier to take it off than the 47 due to the extra lenght.

I use 5 quarts in my car and 4 in my mom's. The 3400 claims a 4.5 quart oil change and the Cavy claims a 4 quart. Not going to change the voulme of oil I use (or should I for my mom's car?)

The reason is I refuse to use the shitty "PF-47E" filters that are made in China. I do like the quality of the American made ACDelco filters more than any other filter I've seen.

Thoughts?

[ion] C2 12-30-2010 11:34 AM

You've done filtration vs. flow tests on them? Reliability testing? You can't just collectively call everything made in China shitty. With ACDelco being quite a large company, it's naive to think that they are unable to maintain quality control in another country as well as our own.

Garrett has many locations where they manufacture their turbochargers. Mine could've been made in Mexico or any other foreign nation. They are still under exacting measures and precisely monitored for proper QC..

XanderWiFi 12-30-2010 11:45 AM

There was another thread called "oil filters" that was examining something like this as well. With the PF52 go on a 3.4 as well? I was also looking into gettins something along these lines as well: http://www.autoanything.com/oil-filt...A2138A0A0.aspx

cherrington17 12-30-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 569956)
You've done filtration vs. flow tests on them? Reliability testing? You can't just collectively call everything made in China shitty. With ACDelco being quite a large company, it's naive to think that they are unable to maintain quality control in another country as well as our own.

Garrett has many locations where they manufacture their turbochargers. Mine could've been made in Mexico or any other foreign nation. They are still under exacting measures and precisely monitored for proper QC..

QFT. I've been getting quite annoyed with the "USA products are infinitely better than foreign crap" attitudes lately.

Frankly speaking, just because it says "made in the USA" doesn't mean its parts aren't Chinese, and assembled here, or vise versa.

Huge companies lie about everything. It costs them nothing, and they make more money.

kwhauck 12-30-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 569956)

Great response Ion, and I agree 100%

jabartram 12-30-2010 03:37 PM

i ran the pf52 for years, now i run the amsoil equivalent to the pf52.

kwhauck 12-30-2010 03:42 PM

I like fram grippy filters.......lol

Ttop191 12-30-2010 04:06 PM

Well your engine hates you... ;)

robalero 12-30-2010 04:09 PM

I use the Auto-Xtra filters myself mostly because it cost me $3 for the filter at work

kwhauck 12-30-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttop191 (Post 569992)
Well your engine hates you... ;)

No it doesn't, I rescued it from a lonely life in a junkyard! I gave it a second life!!!

Ttop191 12-30-2010 08:38 PM

then you stabbed it in the heart by using a fram filter :lol:

mfuller 12-30-2010 08:44 PM

Usually I can get either a Mobil 1 or K&N filter on sale when bundled with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge. Advance Auto or O'Reilly's tends to run a special every 6 months or so.....
I really don't think the longer filter makes that big of a difference - I have a smaller K&N filter on there now just because it gives me a bit more room to work.
I'm not a huge fan of the E-core filters, and their shortcomings are documented elsewhere if you search around.

alero_bmxer 12-30-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwhauck (Post 570022)
No it doesn't, I rescued it from a lonely life in a junkyard! I gave it a second life!!!

have you ever cut a fram filter apart? cut one open and compare the insides to amore expensive filter like the federal ones we use at work. all metal insides compared to cardboard in the fram.

kwhauck 12-30-2010 08:51 PM

I don't care with this motor......

[ion] C2 12-30-2010 08:57 PM

I too would never touch a FRAM filter unless using it for a baseball. Too many horror stories from them.

Redog 12-30-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 569968)
QFT. I've been getting quite annoyed with the "USA products are infinitely better than foreign crap" attitudes lately.

Frankly speaking, just because it says "made in the USA" doesn't mean its parts aren't Chinese, and assembled here, or vise versa.

Huge companies lie about everything. It costs them nothing, and they make more money.

Look inside an "E" Chinese filter and an America made non "E" filter and reanswer

WhiteV6 12-30-2010 10:19 PM

Quality control. Thanks for making me laugh.

[ion] C2 12-30-2010 10:45 PM

I guess if it doesn't take over 2 years to produce a single part, it's not quality.

XanderWiFi 12-30-2010 10:57 PM

oh crud...I've never used anything but fram or STP. What is the proven filter?

WhiteV6 12-30-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ion] C2 (Post 570050)
I guess if it doesn't take over 2 years to produce a single part, it's not quality.

That doesn't have any relevance to the amount of bad parts I have received this year. Honestly, I don't know if you are trying to say I have taken 2 years to do something or just making a random post for your post count.