Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Aftermarket Steering Wheel (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38613)

dschroed 01-21-2016 03:41 PM

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

I tried looking around but couldn't find much besides it's a pain in the ass to remove, and how to fix horns. I'd like to be able to install an aftermarket hub and quick release, with a 6 bolt aftermarket steering wheel, but I haven't seen any done, and couldn't really find hardware on ebay. Does anyone know anybody that was successful in doing this?

Redog 01-21-2016 03:59 PM

First, stop looking for parts on eBay, unless they are OEM parts being sold by a GM warehouse/dealer. Waste of time, waste of money, cheap crap crap crap crap. Did I mention that it's pretty much all crap?

GM likes to use the same stuff across many differnt model lines/years. Makes modding/swapping parts easy. If you are looking at a good quality steering wheel, they should have a hub adapter to make the wheel work.

dschroed 01-21-2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redog (Post 663347)
First, stop looking for parts on eBay, unless they are OEM parts being sold by a GM warehouse/dealer. Waste of time, waste of money, cheap crap crap crap crap. Did I mention that it's pretty much all crap?

GM likes to use the same stuff across many differnt model lines/years. Makes modding/swapping parts easy. If you are looking at a good quality steering wheel, they should have a hub adapter to make the wheel work.

Lol. It might of been mentioned. Generally they have NRG hubs and adapters, but I couldn't find any suited for the alero or a grand am (searched for a 99 year on both. correct me if im wrong in doing so). Any other models and years that might be an option?

I'm not really looking for any other factory steering wheels. I'm more interested in aftermarket, like MOMO or Sparco. But like I said earlier, I have seen NRG hubs and adapters all over ebay before. I just haven't found any specifically for our cars.

Papa Rad17 01-22-2016 10:27 AM

Thats what have. Mustang kit, quick release and tiny little race steering wheel. The ON/OFF switch it inside the hunb, while the set/cancel/resume buttons had to have tiny little holes drilled in the back of the case, the the hub, and zip tied into place. The mustang's was going to wired on toggle switches, simple. The alero's cruze control is however much, much more intricate. The factory wheel cracked when pulling off, the hub had to be drilled out, then pulled off and adjusted for square steering several times. My turn signals are still bit lopsided. The hub is wrapped in cheap rubber shit, the quick release is really nice to have, but to use it with the horn plugged in would be completely impractical. The quick release with 50,000+ miles now on it offers a good 1/8" of play. The pleather on the steering wheel it holding up well, but the stitching is pulling apart in the back.
If your going to do it you need time, budget, and patience.
And if you do it, make sure you get a factory sized wheel. Maybe a 1/4" max smaller. Mine is tiny, now that I'm used to it it's not bad but switching to the cruze I realize how nice the larger wheel is. It's amazing much more leverage that extra inch gives you.:awesome:

dschroed 01-22-2016 07:10 PM

:yahoo: now THAT'S what im talkin about. That looks awesome. Thanks for the info papa! I may skip the quick release if that's the case. I just liked the option more than the everyday use. Good Stuff. :thumb:

Babyblue 01-24-2016 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 663369)
Thats what have. Mustang kit, quick release and tiny little race steering wheel. The ON/OFF switch it inside the hunb, while the set/cancel/resume buttons had to have tiny little holes drilled in the back of the case, the the hub, and zip tied into place. The mustang's was going to wired on toggle switches, simple. The alero's cruze control is however much, much more intricate. The factory wheel cracked when pulling off, the hub had to be drilled out, then pulled off and adjusted for square steering several times. My turn signals are still bit lopsided. The hub is wrapped in cheap rubber shit, the quick release is really nice to have, but to use it with the horn plugged in would be completely impractical. The quick release with 50,000+ miles now on it offers a good 1/8" of play. The pleather on the steering wheel it holding up well, but the stitching is pulling apart in the back.
If your going to do it you need time, budget, and patience.
And if you do it, make sure you get a factory sized wheel. Maybe a 1/4" max smaller. Mine is tiny, now that I'm used to it it's not bad but switching to the cruze I realize how nice the larger wheel is. It's amazing much more leverage that extra inch gives you.:awesome:

Are you going to be at homecoming this year? It so I can't wait to see the progress on her! Are you still rocking the rotor, pads and calipers I sold you?

Papa Rad17 01-24-2016 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babyblue (Post 663378)
Are you going to be at homecoming this year? It so I can't wait to see the progress on her! Are you still rocking the rotor, pads and calipers I sold you?

yep! now 228,5XX miles. I just did a motor mount and belt yesterday. She still lives on! :awesome:

sleepyalero 01-24-2016 04:54 PM

I cant wait for homecoming. Best vacation ever.

dschroed 01-24-2016 05:35 PM

Out of curiosity, what is homecoming? Obviously a meet of some sort, but when, where, and how long?

1970cs 01-24-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschroed (Post 663385)
Out of curiosity, what is homecoming? Obviously a meet of some sort, but when, where, and how long?

Yes, the Alero group meets up at the Ramada inn for the weekend Friday-Sunday and caravans to the Homecoming meet.

http://www.reolds.org/homecoming.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvXTde8lj74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHuBiMsOClA

Pat

dschroed 01-24-2016 09:17 PM

Interesting. Would be one heck of a drive, but the lot looks massive.

sleepyalero 01-24-2016 10:51 PM

Its a darn good time! But we get less people to show up year after year (for the alero meet) some of us still go every year though, no matter how big or small the group is, its always nice to get away from real life and hang out with people who have the same intrest as you. I enjoy it.

Aside from that "homecoming" is a all olds car show, and it is glorious.

Oldsnut 01-24-2016 10:54 PM

Why would anyone want to remove an air bag from their car. It saves so many more lives than not. I would not have my Mom still if it weren't for an air bag. Also your insurance company might void any payments due to tampering with or removing an air bag.

Papa Rad17 01-25-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldsnut (Post 663391)
Why would anyone want to remove an air bag from their car. It saves so many more lives than not. I would not have my Mom still if it weren't for an air bag. Also your insurance company might void any payments due to tampering with or removing an air bag.

Because it was fun to set off in the driveway! :lol:

BUT, very good, on topic, points to be made. :awesome:

dschroed 01-25-2016 04:31 PM

I suppose I didn't think about that. At the same time, I only pay for liability so they aren't going to be giving me jack either way. Also, I see some five points in my future, so I don't know if my face would ever hit the steering wheel without my head leaving my body. :lol: