Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   weight loss (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37442)

declined_imp 09-23-2013 02:19 AM

weight loss

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone knew where to get some polycarbonate car windows for the alero.

billytheman1188 09-23-2013 02:50 AM

A place that makes windows with that stuff? There is NO WAY there's a place to just click and buy those windows for our cars. Can barely find basic aftermarket parts :lol: Lighter windows would be nice (especially for us with coupes)....less clip breakage ;)

sleepyalero 09-23-2013 02:57 AM

Have a place make custom ones..

AleroB888 09-23-2013 03:59 AM

But those are only flat shape, aren't they, you could not make a curved one, I'm guessing? .... You could try to make some that don't roll up or down... tie a cord to them and pull them up lol

03Sleepr 09-25-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleroB888 (Post 646050)
But those are only flat shape, aren't they, you could not make a curved one, I'm guessing? .... You could try to make some that don't roll up or down... tie a cord to them and pull them up lol

Surely they can, they make polycarbonate lenses for glasses or goggles and they are curved...I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap though..

[ion] C2 09-25-2013 10:58 AM

Pro Glass Preformed Lexan Windows

DJx79x 09-25-2013 11:54 AM

Is the weight differential enough to justify the cost of doing this?

[ion] C2 09-25-2013 12:47 PM

The glass is only ~100lb I think. Does anyone know the actual numbers?

MilzyZ34 11-11-2013 06:54 PM

There is a company called Clear One in ohio that I've used. They sell windows for like $150 for the front and rear, $75 for door windows, etc. This is just sheets of 1/8" lexan that you would cut to shape. If you want them to do it for you, they would need the car of course, and the price is about twice that. They can curve them to shape though by using heat and molding them to the stock glass. The rear window in my race car is the only one I did lexan, mostly because I was always in a time crunch, plus I had already bought a new front windshield right after I had the cage built (had to remove windshield to install cage). The rear one I did, I just used a flat sheet of 1/8" lexan, and then I used a riv-nut tool to rivet in a bunch of threaded bungs to attach the windshield, and then I used a countersink and a bunch of flathead 10-32 stainless bolts. They supply a little nerf gasket to go around the perimeter of the windshield between the lip and glass. You also have to put some windshield RTV sealant between the lip and glass to get it to seal up right. Also you have to be careful not to overtorque the bolts as this will cause the lexan to dimple in at the fastener.

Be careful putting a lexan windshield in, because when I did that to my grand am, that is when it ceased to be a grand am, and transformed into the "non-grand am" it is now. Atleast that is what the grandamgt.com shot-callers said when they said my car could not hold the record for the fastest GA.

natedawg9640 11-11-2013 09:38 PM

is there some legality to be aware of? i can only presume that modifying the windshield with something structurally different would affect road legality.

xXManwhoreXx 11-11-2013 10:21 PM

Dont suggest lexan at all for a car that is more than a drag or trailer queen... it scratches and is illegal on street cars afaik

sleepyalero 11-11-2013 10:52 PM

Only illegal if you get caught!

declined_imp 11-12-2013 12:36 AM

thanks for the info... i actually forgot about this thread. But the weight is not a problem anymore. I'm just trying to get it stock to sell it because I bought a Nissan 240sx.

xXManwhoreXx 11-12-2013 12:49 AM

Nice what year douce foh

declined_imp 11-12-2013 01:19 AM

its a 93 with the KA engine DOHC

MilzyZ34 11-12-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by declined_imp (Post 648165)
its a 93 with the KA engine DOHC

my fabricator at my shop is a 240 expert. you should hit me up if you need any parts, and i'll give you his info.

MMGT1 11-12-2013 06:25 PM

Mike, you and I both know if it was "ANYONE ALIVE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET", other than you, that built that car the record would stand. If you look back at my time on that, or any other Grand Am site, was about the same time I said to hell with the platform. The Grand Am community changed in ways that I just could not stomach anymore. I've said more times than I can count now, if your N body, go to Aleromod. Hell I dont even own one anymore and this is where I hang my hat... end rant...

declined_imp 11-12-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilzyZ34 (Post 648169)
my fabricator at my shop is a 240 expert. you should hit me up if you need any parts, and i'll give you his info.

sounds good man, thanks.

MilzyZ34 11-13-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMGT1 (Post 648182)
Mike, you and I both know if it was "ANYONE ALIVE ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET", other than you, that built that car the record would stand. If you look back at my time on that, or any other Grand Am site, was about the same time I said to hell with the platform. The Grand Am community changed in ways that I just could not stomach anymore. I've said more times than I can count now, if your N body, go to Aleromod. Hell I dont even own one anymore and this is where I hang my hat... end rant...

If only they admired that car or were inspired by it instead of being jealous of it, the N-body world would be a whole different place. Instead there is no competition because no one has beaten my record (or non-record?), and no one is inspired to go faster. Yay mediocrity. Sorry, end rant too.