Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A chance to go extreme...? (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34717)

luckilero7 09-08-2011 01:08 AM

A chance to go extreme...?

So I may...MAY, have the chance to play with the idea of stuffing in a series 2 supercharged 3800. My buddy is replacing one in a gtp and the old one just has gasket problems but the lady for some reason wants a whole new engine. So I was thinking "hey, if it's out out the car it's perfect to take apart n really see what the old one needs?" If it's fixable we could build it up and reman the supercharger, get the tranny, ecu, and wire harness. Any reason why this wouldn't work? Yes I know it would need some custom work of course, but essentially a free engine & something a little different and kinda sleeper status?

Papa Rad17 09-08-2011 04:10 AM

That would be pretty sweet.

[ion] C2 09-08-2011 06:20 AM

Why not?

luckilero7 09-08-2011 08:43 AM

Any more info or pics on this alero!? Ion, do you know what custom work it would entail besides custom motor mounts?

Shiwnath 09-08-2011 12:51 PM

Guiguilandry has an L67 swap. If theres anyone that knows about them, it would be him.

guiguilandry 09-08-2011 01:12 PM

Yep that's mine... but they are the old pics... I redid the upper radiator mount last year because it got torn appart like nothing... even if it's bolted to the subframe and has the rear tranny mount full of urethane... I also redid the wiring harness to get this engine bay cleaner... if you want some more pictures that are a little more up to date check my other webpage http://demonautosport.monchar.com/

Redog 09-08-2011 02:55 PM

Can be done. Free engine, why not

zearchyo 09-08-2011 04:20 PM

hey guiguilandry how much hp/tq are u pushing?

luckilero7 09-08-2011 04:37 PM

Yeah crossing my fingers here! Was thinking of getting another car/alero to drop it into if I get it so I can keep my alero as a dd. What tranny did you use? Like the gtp tranny? What about the axles and front suspension? I'll look at your other page when I get on an actual computer.

guiguilandry 09-09-2011 12:56 AM

if you keep it automatic, it'll be easy... but no it's a 5 speed... f23 from a cavalier sfi 2200 with a stage4 clutch and a custom machined flywhell balanced to this engine when it has been rebuilt... it was better that way for me because it was already a 5 speed ld9 at the start

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckilero7 (Post 595969)
Yeah crossing my fingers here! Was thinking of getting another car/alero to drop it into if I get it so I can keep my alero as a dd. What tranny did you use? Like the gtp tranny? What about the axles and front suspension? I'll look at your other page when I get on an actual computer.

unchained01 09-09-2011 06:20 PM

love the wheels what kind are they ?

guiguilandry 09-09-2011 07:31 PM

niche gt 19 x 8,5 with 255/30zr19 hankook tires good luck finding them... they are discontinued now

luckilero7 09-09-2011 07:40 PM

I've read the 5 speed out of an s10 would work too but would probably just stay with the automatic as much as I would like the manual. Could I keep the factory auto or should I look for an auto out of a car that came with the 3800 with or without the supercharger? Also thought of maybe getting a camaro that may have the 5 speed and needs a motor anyway, would that work? Just sorting thru the ideas if I can use this engine. Should be able to find out by the end of next week. Deff love your set up guiguilandry...inspiring lol

SIUlero 09-09-2011 10:27 PM

You canNOT use a transmission from a REAR wheel drive vehicle in a FRONT wheel drive car! It's an ENTIRELY different contraption from a front wheel drive transaxle. And if you're unaware of that fact, this is WAY too big of a project for you to be tackling...unless you have alot of help from someone with much more experience. I'm not trying to put you down, I like your enthusiasm, but this is a plan that requires a high level of know-how to pull off.

luckilero7 09-10-2011 12:38 AM

I know it's set up as a transverse engine to begin with, was just CURIOUS if it could be set back up like a normal 3800 that the v6 camaros came with between 98-02. So yes aware of this fact lol. If I were to put this supercharged 3800 in my alero, I was asking if I could use the matching tranny out of such cars that used said engine such as regal gs, gtp, etc... As they too are front wheel drive like said alero. And if you read closely, it was a set up I've heard/read from others who have done it on other sites; so as to get opinions on credibility of such statements. Thanks though for your concern and input as that is the reason for this post. Looking forward to hearing from others also with ideas, opinions, sugestions, etc.

luckilero7 09-10-2011 12:42 AM

If I were to do the manny, it would probably be most like that of guiguilandry, which is a manny tranny from a front wheel drive car to another front wheel drive car so yes I get it.

SIUlero 09-10-2011 12:58 AM

Ok, I thought you were saying you wanted to mate this engine to a RWD tranny and drop it in the Alero...after re-reading it I see you're talking about putting this engine into a RWD car :lol: That's a little more practical. I'm sure it would be feasible with the right mounts and accessory brackets.

Papa Rad17 09-10-2011 01:15 AM

A rwd alero packin that setup would be pretty freekin legit...

luckilero7 09-10-2011 10:32 AM

Thank you. N yes a rwd alero with this set up would be crazy, and very very difficult to do and expensive so no not doing that lol.

SIUlero 09-10-2011 02:40 PM

Something like this: