Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   How-To Archive & FAQ (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   aftermarket seat mount (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37049)

03gxeco 04-23-2013 09:09 PM

aftermarket seat mount

Sorry if this is measy im a little intox. Can somrone please explain the process of making brackets for "sport seats" im seriously consideribg getting aftermRket seats that go with my color scheme. Blue/silver either way it has ti have blue on it (fav color). Thanks in advancr

04PONTIACGA 04-23-2013 09:19 PM

I've never done this before, but I would use the factory tracks(might have to do some hacking and welding) and fabricate mountss for the new seats to accept the tracks. Really though, why don't you just get new covers made to match your theme?

sleepyalero 04-23-2013 09:22 PM

Mfuller can chime in on this.

And be safe drunk ass :lol:

spc2125 04-23-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03gxeco (Post 638427)
Sorry if this is measy im a little intox. Can somrone please explain the process of making brackets for "sport seats" im seriously consideribg getting aftermRket seats that go with my color scheme. Blue/silver either way it has ti have blue on it (fav color). Thanks in advancr

:lol: :lol:

03gxeco 04-24-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 638432)
Mfuller can chime in on this.

And be safe drunk ass :lol:

Fortunatly for me i was not drunk, i hate hangovers. Id say more tipsy. Haha glad i gave you guys a chuckle. Seat covers are nice but to find a set that fit properly and look good enough would be a tragic failure

I will be stopping in my buddys upholstry shop soon to see if he can do something with my factory seats

03glgold 04-24-2013 09:20 AM

i think that is more what they were talking about getting custom fabric used to upholster the seats

mfuller 04-24-2013 10:24 AM

When I mounted my Recaro seats, I used the factory sliders since I wanted to use the factory mounting locations in the floorboard - if the floor was flat, it would've been easier to justify drilling new holes in the floor for aftermarket seat brackets that bolt to the side of the seat (of course then I'd be looking at a racing shell and not a reclining street seat - that would have saved a bunch more weight though).
Anyway, I used some aluminum bar stock to mount the seats to the factory sliders. Since the holes on the bottom of the seat do not line up with holes on the sliders, this was a simple way to adapt things. Basically, the aluminum bar stock bolted onto the seat bottoms. I then took careful measurements to determine the proper location for bolting the bar stock to the sliders. I had to drill new holes in the sliders, and used high-strength fasteners to bolt the bar stock to the sliders. The bar stock raised the seats a negligible 1/4" above the sliders. I did loose the factory power adjustment on the driver's seat, but no big deal. It worked fairly well for a cheap solution.

03gxeco 04-24-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfuller (Post 638463)
When I mounted my Recaro seats, I used the factory sliders since I wanted to use the factory mounting locations in the floorboard - if the floor was flat, it would've been easier to justify drilling new holes in the floor for aftermarket seat brackets that bolt to the side of the seat (of course then I'd be looking at a racing shell and not a reclining street seat - that would have saved a bunch more weight though).
Anyway, I used some aluminum bar stock to mount the seats to the factory sliders. Since the holes on the bottom of the seat do not line up with holes on the sliders, this was a simple way to adapt things. Basically, the aluminum bar stock bolted onto the seat bottoms. I then took careful measurements to determine the proper location for bolting the bar stock to the sliders. I had to drill new holes in the sliders, and used high-strength fasteners to bolt the bar stock to the sliders. The bar stock raised the seats a negligible 1/4" above the sliders. I did loose the factory power adjustment on the driver's seat, but no big deal. It worked fairly well for a cheap solution.

I will have to see if i can follow your footsteps on that