Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   Alero Appearance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Multiple projects, need clarity on best methods (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38557)

Bachert24 11-10-2015 09:50 PM

Multiple projects, need clarity on best methods

I'm working on a few projects and with there being so many threads about each, I would just like a like clarity on current best methods.

1. I'm getting a gauge overlay from whitefacegauges.net andes the same time i want to do the backlighting. Is the T10 method the best method, or is it best to get one of the many different 194 versions from superbrightleds? I'm going with a blue and I don't want uneven lighting.

2. Best method to change needle color? Are there other needles that will drop in like the fbody needles in the G/A?

3. Headlights, go with HID kit and call it good, or go with a projector with halo and led strip like I originally intended?

If i thinking anything else Ill post it later, this it's just a starter I think. There's a lot in the how-to section im considering doing soon.

sleepyalero 11-11-2015 12:02 AM

If you can achieve modifying the lights for projectors. Go for it.

Papa Rad17 11-11-2015 02:39 AM

do some searching on here for changing needles. It's a delicate process but the results are fantastic. fisdad swapped his to some red needles out of something and they looked great.
Have fun with those overlays. Sounds like you got stickers? trust me, they are pita to line up. you want 194 bulbs for sure. if you are 03-04 you are lucky and the bulbs can easily be changed in and out of the sockets. if you are 99-02 then you'll need to get some with the twist-lock base. yes, can hack the sockets all to crap to extract the bulb and solder in your new one. But, that metal doesn't take solder for crap so unless you have a lot of experience and know the tricks don't even attempt it.
I've ran a DDM 55w kit in factory housings on 2 aleros, works fine for me. Like sleepy said, if you are willing to take on the task of a projector install, good luck and have fun!

Bachert24 11-11-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 662767)
If you can achieve modifying the lights for projectors. Go for it.

Yes I've done crazy amounts of research and it's easily within my skill level. I do lots of custom crap lol. Its fun and passes time!

Bachert24 11-11-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 662768)
do some searching on here for changing needles. It's a delicate process but the results are fantastic. fisdad swapped his to some red needles out of something and they looked great.
Have fun with those overlays. Sounds like you got stickers? trust me, they are pita to line up. you want 194 bulbs for sure. if you are 03-04 you are lucky and the bulbs can easily be changed in and out of the sockets. if you are 99-02 then you'll need to get some with the twist-lock base. yes, can hack the sockets all to crap to extract the bulb and solder in your new one. But, that metal doesn't take solder for crap so unless you have a lot of experience and know the tricks don't even attempt it.
I've ran a DDM 55w kit in factory housings on 2 aleros, works fine for me. Like sleepy said, if you are willing to take on the task of a projector install, good luck and have fun!

I have an 01. Papa smurf used the t10 bulbs and it looked super easy. I just wasn't sure that produced more even lighting than using some 194 sockets with leds pointing in every direction like what superbrightleds and other companies sell. Ill do more research on needles . I believe those gauge faces are stickers, but I'm really good at lining them up...plus i hate white faces and I can blue to match my car. Nobody makes faces for the Alero anymore. You can get the ugly ebay ones, the ones I'm getting, or you can pay blackcatcustoms $200+ for custom ones. Pretty slim picking nowadays lol.

Papa Rad17 11-12-2015 01:29 AM

Have you tried speedhut? a few years ago you could still customize a set of halo or reversed halo gauges.

tw0123 11-12-2015 11:27 AM

love my speedhut set.... blue face with an option of blue or green lighting for night driving

Bachert24 11-12-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 (Post 662783)
Have you tried speedhut? a few years ago you could still customize a set of halo or reversed halo gauges.

Unfortunately they no longer do this 😢

sleepyalero 11-12-2015 02:40 PM

Use these guys, email em. They will make you a set. http://www.blackcatcustom.com

Bachert24 11-12-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 662786)
Use these guys, email em. They will make you a set. http://www.blackcatcustom.com

I did they want $200! Thats some serious bank! Think it's worth it?

Young Gun 11-12-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 662784)

love my speedhut set.... blue face with an option of blue or green lighting for night driving

Oh snap didn't realize this was done other than white faced for the alerhos. That looks really nice. Still on my checklist of things I want to do to the GA

That01Olds 11-12-2015 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 662784)

Do you have a U.S. spec car Tim? Just curious cause I noticed in the pic that you have the MPH gauge cluster instead of Km/h.

sleepyalero 11-12-2015 10:24 PM

No its kmh. Its just a mph face

tw0123 11-12-2015 11:32 PM

Haha Thanks guys.... i love these gauges.... my car is Canadian do the original cluster us in kmh... i bought this set used from another member years ago.... I'm not sure if it was a custom set or what but i love it.... I've got an interceptor scan gauge that i had calibrated on kmh so i know how fast I'm really going up here lol

sleepyalero 11-13-2015 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bachert24 (Post 662787)
I did they want $200! Thats some serious bank! Think it's worth it?

Well you need to ask yourself. "how bad do i want this?"

Aside from that, they do really good work. I know a guy who has had them do multiple things for his GA.

Valley olds 11-13-2015 05:25 AM

Here is the how-to for the gauges.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gauges

I am not sure if this is what you want though.

Here is the how-to for the needles.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showt...ghlight=gauges

These are old threads, but have a lot of good info and pics.

tw0123 11-13-2015 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 662796)
Well you need to ask yourself. "how bad do i want this?"

Nothing more true than this especially when dealing with these cars.... almost everything is not a one off custom request.... definitely gotta pay to pay.... if you're looking to do a good set of projectors you're looking at around $450+... you can go cheap and under $100 but they won't be as good....

That01Olds 07-04-2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw0123 (Post 662794)
Haha Thanks guys.... i love these gauges.... my car is Canadian do the original cluster us in kmh... i bought this set used from another member years ago.... I'm not sure if it was a custom set or what but i love it.... I've got an interceptor scan gauge that i had calibrated on kmh so i know how fast I'm really going up here lol

Ahh gotcha. That makes sense then. Also sorry for the late reply. I've been MIA from the forum for a while lol.