Aleromod.com

Aleromod.com (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forum.php)
-   General Performance (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Hurst Shifter (http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27038)

will176 05-03-2009 02:17 AM

Hurst Shifter

just out of curiosity, are there any hurst shifters that are compatible with a 3400 alero? if so what models work? i've heard/ seen some of you guys with them and i was wondering if there was any custom fab work needed to make them compatible/ what advantages would i get from installing one? any info here would be great thanks

Oldsman 05-03-2009 03:43 AM

I am the only Alero with a Hurst Auto Shifter. Look at this alero of the month photo. It was a camaro shifter custom fabbed by myself to fit and work in our cars. Then bdyman did the custom plastic console piece.

Advantage........be different, have a gated shifter, be able to say you have an actual hurst shifter.

bdyman 05-03-2009 07:42 AM

correct if you do it send me the cover and i will do for you what i did for scot

cherrington17 05-03-2009 07:48 AM

ok... for those of us who don't know...

what the difference between a gate shifter, and what we currently have (stock)??

kwhauck 05-03-2009 08:38 AM

swap in a 5 speed with the 3400 and you can use a hurst shifter like this.....

Nate's Alero 05-03-2009 08:43 AM

i know a dual gate shifter allows you to use 1 2 3 without the fear of dropping the car in neutral, so, making the automatic, sort of, a standard

that is what the right coloum is on the shifter, the 3 2 1 section, and the left section is the PRND321, the regular section

cherrington17 05-03-2009 09:21 AM

uh... it can't already do that? going from D-3-2-1 you don't hit N.

i totally confused now.

jayson_waltz 05-03-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 459055)
uh... it can't already do that?

but its not a hurst dual gate. :p Actually i am interested at the exact purpose too. the only advantage i could see is when shifting to lower gears imo, which is likely wrong

Nate's Alero 05-03-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrington17 (Post 459055)
uh... it can't already do that? going from D-3-2-1 you don't hit N.

i totally confused now.

no, going from 1 to 2 to 3 really fast, without the fear of dropping in neutral

called an autostick

Oldsman 05-03-2009 10:32 AM

the dual/gate is known as the his/her shifter. and by gated means the following.

on one side it is like a normal shifter. but rather than push a button down to move it out of gear you have to move it sideways and down to go threw the pattern. when you get to netural you can then move it to the right and go down the his side or racing side. on that side you can shift each gear without over shifting. meaning your in 1st gear and you hit the shifter as hard and fast as you can you only go to 2nd gear and then hit it again and oonly move to 3rd and then hit it again and you only go to 4th gear. Now if you take your stock shifter and put it all the way down into 1st gear and then hit shifter forward to the next gear as fast and hard as you can you will end up into neutral.

now as you ask the purpose of the gated well it is same pircinples as a rachet shifter being able to manually shift an auto without over shifting. 1 gear at a time. this is designed for racing. does it really help, no but it is just cool as hell to do.

another explaination......
The Hurst Dual/Gate shifter, also known as the "His and Hers" shifter, was standard equipment for the Hurst/Olds performance package. The proven Hurst automatic shifter was mounted in an Oldsmobile sports console. Dual shift patterns provide the ultimate in street/strip control. It's strictly automatic on the left side and as precise as a fully sychronized manual control on the right. Hurst's positive latching mechanism and Neutral lock-out takes the guess work out of gear changing, going up or down. There's no possibility of missing a gear. No chance of overshifting into Neutral and maybe blowing an engine. It means you've got a real choice. You can be as shiftless or as energetic as you like. You can rely on that brain beneath the floorboards or you can trust your own reflexes. The lady of your life can drive automatically, while you remain boss of the block with the manual control.

Oldsman 05-03-2009 10:41 AM

here is a vid of the 73 H/O and it kind explains the dual/gate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Uj5g1CAI1o

AleroDrime 05-03-2009 10:56 AM

ok i watched teh video and now my big ? is , is it anything like or similar to the sport shift automatic used in some hondas, such as the prelude, the setups have changed but im thinking of the one that had prnd123 on on side in a line, then branching from the n was a second "route" of 12345 or somthing

Oldsman 05-03-2009 10:59 AM

where did you think honda got the idea..............Hurst Performance

AleroDrime 05-03-2009 12:07 PM

so its the same concept?

Oldsman 05-03-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleroRacing (Post 459099)
so its the same concept?

if honda got the idea from Hurst then wouldn't it be the same concept?? if it was based on the same idea? Now if they work the same i am not sure because i never saw the honda shifter.

the autostick in hyundia, chryslers, and other new cars is based on the same idea. And actually Hurst had the autostick name first.

AleroDrime 05-03-2009 02:01 PM

Sry that's kinda what I meant, doesany one know how the honda one works! I only saw them when I was shopping a new used car out and came across aleros

jamcllw 05-03-2009 05:02 PM

Mazda's have them. They are called Manumatic or some stupid shit like that.

I'd rather have the third pedal instead of a wanna be manual.

cherrington17 05-03-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldsman (Post 459121)
if honda got the idea from Hurst then wouldn't it be the same concept?? if it was based on the same idea? Now if they work the same i am not sure because i never saw the honda shifter.

the autostick in hyundia, chryslers, and other new cars is based on the same idea. And actually Hurst had the autostick name first.

so.. what your saying is.... its the same thing???

:p

i'll have to check out the video at home, or wait till ass and get a ride along. (i'm not test driving your baby... no way... not even asking)

knuckleballer32 05-03-2009 06:27 PM

alot of the newer cars simply have another notch for the shifter in which the shifter goes forward for up shift and back for downshift. (sometimes the other way around)

will176 05-03-2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldsman (Post 459016)
I am the only Alero with a Hurst Auto Shifter. Look at this alero of the month photo. It was a camaro shifter custom fabbed by myself to fit and work in our cars. Then bdyman did the custom plastic console piece.

Advantage........be different, have a gated shifter, be able to say you have an actual hurst shifter.

what exacally did you need to do to make it compatible?